Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Not Been Here in a While...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm really struggling with feelings of depression, anxiety and physical ill health and the nightmares have returned. I'm willing to consider ADs for the first time but can't see my GP until next Monday so between now and then was kind of hoping for some advice on the different types of ADs, sideeffects, etc just so I have some info beforehand. I did a google search but I never fully trust what it says and I didnt want to freak myself out.
Also is there anything recommended that I can get without prescription for now?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hiya WhiteLillies

Really sorry to hear that you're struggling at the moment - it sounds like you're willing to give different options a try and hopefully this will mean that you'll find something to help your depression.

I'm sure others will give you their own first-hand experiences, but I wanted to let you know about some useful articles that you could also take a look at, which might help you get a better understanding of antidepressants before your appointment:

Antidepressants - an overview of the different types and their side effects

Medical treatments - gives a rundown of different types of treatments

Alternatives to antidepressants - as the title suggests, it tells you about other things to try, such as diet, natural remedies and alternative therapies

Good luck on Monday - let us know how you get on *hug*
    Thanks spanner...they were really useful to read :)
    Hey,
    I've been on a couple that didnt work for me and it took me awhile to come round to the idea as well, now I'm on Efexor. They are not perfect but my life is so much better since I've been on them. As in I hardly think about suicide anymore and haven't s/h in months.
    side effects are not great but compared with how i was before life feels pretty good right now.
    Hope it works out for you what ever you decide to do :)
    I was thinking about you the other day :)

Sorry to hear that things aren't going well for you. Things like this are always shit for a while - let's hope your GP is helpful on Monday :) Did you get any further with counselling?
    Just on the information side, I find NHS Choices really useful.

If you're looking for information about a particular medication, Patient UK is good, too.
    @iceandfire: thank you for sharing your own experiences...it's useful to know.

@Purple_roo: finally connected to the Internet so have better access :) I've been ok until I came down with gastroenteritis and suffered at home on my own spending too much time thinking!! No it all kind of came to a halt when I moved home. Going to see what the GP says Monday but will discuss wanting counselling to go alongside any ADs :)

@piccolo: thank you for the links :) Its useful to know which websites are actually factual!
    Cant do it anymore :( I'm feeling really on the edge...dont feel safe right now :(
    Did you get to the doctor's today hun? How'd it go?
    Because I had been poorly with gastroenteritis and I said it started at the same time as that, he wants me to monitor and keep a record of how I feel over a 2 week period...if i dont feel better i have to go back and he'll review it again then...