Home Community Announcements
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Positive Action Chat: Tuesday 30th April, 7-9pm

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

At the end of this month we're running a new type of chat session - we're calling it 'Positive Action' (once we've run a few we'd love to hear your thoughts if you can think of a better name!). If you're experiencing depression or anxiety, this is a chance to work through what you already do or would be willing to try, to improve your mental health :)
What do we mean by depression?

We often use the expression ?I feel depressed? when we?re feeling sad or miserable about life. Usually, these feelings pass in due course. But, if the feelings are interfering with your life and don't go away after a couple of weeks, or if they come back, over and over again, for a few days at a time, it could be a sign that you're depressed in the medical sense of the term.

In its mildest form, depression can mean just being in low spirits. It doesn't stop you leading your normal life, but makes everything harder to do and seem less worthwhile. At its most severe, major depression (clinical depression) can be life-threatening, because it can make you feel suicidal or simply give up the will to live.

What do we mean by anxiety?

Anxiety is something we all experience from time to time. Most people can relate to feeling tense, uncertain and, perhaps, fearful at the thought of sitting an exam, going into hospital, attending an interview or starting a new job. You may worry about feeling uncomfortable, appearing foolish or how successful you will be. In turn, these worries can affect your sleep, appetite and ability to concentrate. If everything goes well, the anxiety will go away.

If the anxiety stays at a high level for a long time, you may feel that it is difficult to deal with everyday life. The anxiety may become severe; you may feel powerless, out of control, as if you are about to die or go mad. Sometimes, if the feelings of fear overwhelm you, you may experience a panic attack.

Symptoms of depression and anxiety can be experienced by people from all walks of life, with a mental health condition or not. If you feel that any of the above rings true for you, then we welcome you to this chat :thumb:

So how will it work?
8663057778_d1ed22be01_o.jpg

It will be a two hour session slightly earlier in the evening (7-9pm) and there will be a limit of 10 places as well as 5 places for observers. If you're not sure you want to participate but you're interested to see what it's all about then an observer spot might be for you. If you like what you see then you can sign up for the following month for a full place.

It will be a bit like an online version of a support group and it will be led by a specially trained mod. We'll help you to:
  • think positively and creatively about making progress - what that might feel like and how you might achieve it.
  • explore what's going well and what you might need to get along a bit better
The mod will keep things moving and avoid any jargon. You'll be asked some questions and encouraged to chat as a group - everyone will get a chance to talk.

We'll be piloting this on Tuesday 30th April, 7-9pm. The next one will be in May and we'll let you know as soon as we have the date confirmed.

Will we publish the transcripts?
Yes, but we'll change your names on request :)

Who's running the session?
Our host for the first session is the lovely Matt Collins and I'll be in there too to help out.
8663029778_de81f5485d_q.jpg
Matt is a freelance digital marketer, communicator and trainer. He's worked at charities like ChildLine, Great Ormond Street Hospital and St John Ambulance. He's been training staff and volunteers from youth and community groups nationwide in the solution-focused approach for the last four years, helping them to focus on what's working and positive futures, rather than the problems they face. He also has experience on online services at Beatbullying and ChildLine, as well as helping charities with their web, email and social media communications.

Where do I sign up?
If this sounds like something you'd like to try and you'd like to book a place (to join in or to watch) for the first chat on Tuesday 30th April you can register your interest using this form and I'll be in touch :)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UkcU1rksYzV8QltnurYI0XLLPUtVJPHUwu9ZgfWz35Y/viewform

This is a brand new chat so it will be new to all of us at first. Don'tworry if you're not sure what to expect as Matt will ease everyone in and make it really friendly and fun :yes:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sounds like an awesome idea :) will it be like an expert chat, where messages have to be approved by a mod? And can "observes" not speak at all?
    Sounds like an awesome idea :) will it be like an expert chat, where messages have to be approved by a mod? And can "observes" not speak at all?

Glad you like the idea B-A :)

To clarify, it wont be like an expert chat - everyone will be able to speak freely. However, observers will be asked not to speak at all as we need to keep a cap on the number of people participating so that the session works well. It might seem a bit strict, but for this kind of group session we can't really go higher than 10 people taking part.

If you come in as an 'observer' then you'll be free to take notes and benefit from the discussions and then if you like it we'll book you in for the next one to take part fully :thumb:
    Okay thanks for clarifying Jo :)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    jim v!!!!!
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    JsT wrote: »
    jim v!!!!!

Have you not been to one of his chats yet?
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    They sound pretty sexy.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    But I've just adjusted to not having Thursday chats o.o
    Yey thursday chats are back. :-D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sounds like a great idea :) I hope it works well.
    Can I moderate?
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    *simba* wrote: »
    Can I moderate?

Hello! As Jo mentions, this is a new chat with Matt, so we're not looking for other people to moderate at the moment. Thanks for the offer though :)
    **helen** wrote: »
    Hello! As Jo mentions, this is a new chat with Matt, so we're not looking for other people to moderate at the moment. Thanks for the offer though :)

Some day! One fine day! :p
    Still places for this guys so do sign up if you're interested :thumb:
    Hi, ive signed up to take part but how will i know weather i can or not?
    holly94 wrote: »

Hi Holly, great to hear you've signed up! You have a place and I'll be in touch before Tues with the final deets :)
    holly94 wrote: »

Hi Holly, great to hear you've signed up! You have a place and I'll be in touch before Tues with the final deets :)
    Jo?
    Is it cool for me to come and observe?
    Jo?
    Is it cool for me to come and observe?

Hi Claire, pretty sure I sent you a PM about this :chin:

But yes, you can come and observe, I'll be in touch before Tues with the final deets to everyone who is either joining in or watching. There's still space for you to join in too Claire if you decide you'd like to :)
    Oh yeah sorry I totally forget about the PM.
    I would join in but I dont want to waste a space and not understand whats going on in the chat.
    Soo.. Maybe just observing is best.
    Sorry to waste your time by commenting on this thread when you did actually PM me. Bit not with it.

No worries at all Claire, you're just as deserving of a place as anyone else and remember we'll be doing these chats once a month so there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to come along :thumb:

There will only be 10 people taking part so it will be a slower paced chat than a support chat. It will be much easier to follow and Matt will make it clear and simple.

If you get confused you can always say you'd like to sit back and watch for a bit, that's not a problem.

Why not come along and see how you go, I think you'll enjoy it :)
    Jo,
    Do I have the place in chat ? I signed up for speaker :)
    *ahem*..

Do we put our normal chat username...or our boards username?...because some awesomeness people like me have completely different ones...?
    Come along as a speaker instead of a observer? I guess I could try it. Is there gonna be like a mod there too?

Come along as a speaker instead of a observer? I guess I could try it. Is there gonna be like a mod there too?

Great to have you participating Claire. I will also be in there helping out with the session.

Emmalee - you can come in with your normal chat username.

*simba* - I'm about to PM you :)
    Will it be the same people each month? Would I be able to observe at some point?

Edit: Oh, just seen this
    Jo7 wrote: »
    No worries at all Claire, you're just as deserving of a place as anyone else and remember we'll be doing these chats once a month so there will be plenty of opportunities for everyone to come along
    Exactly, so if you didn't get a place this month then we'll put you down for the next one :)

There are also still a couple of places for observers tomorrow so you just need to sign up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1UkcU1rksYzV8QltnurYI0XLLPUtVJPHUwu9ZgfWz35Y/viewform

:thumb:
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I noticed that this thread changed from being about some/all Thursdays to one Tuesday. Is anything still happening on Thursdays, then?
    Hey Jo,

Thanks. I'd love to observe too. I'm an observer...YAY!! *dances*
    I noticed that this thread changed from being about some/all Thursdays to one Tuesday. Is anything still happening on Thursdays, then?

Yes - this thread is about Tuesday 30th's session but going forward this will be happening once a month on a Thursday. The rest of the Thursdays we'll be bringing back support chats as of 9th May :)
    Will we be getting invite link via PM or would it be posted on this thread?