Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cutting Again /:

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys, I'm a bit new here.. But I needed somewhere to talk so I came. Anyways I'm 18, I started cutting 4 years ago and managed to quit October of 2011 up until last October minus just scratching myself, then I failed for that month and was okay again up until last month and I'm back into it and need help to get out again /:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    What do you think the underlying issues are that drive you to self harm?
    Great that you've posted. Don't see the relapse as a fail, that is something that I am learning to do. Relapse is part of recovery, it doesn't mean that you have failed.
    It's good that you have recognised that you want to stop and get out of the cycle.

Do you have anybody you can talk to? Like a family member, trusted friend, or a GP? I think this could benefit you, to get more support as well as chatting to us on here.

Great work though, I guess sometimes when we relapse we can only see the negative, not the journey that we have made and all the positive steps we have taken. But that's important too. You have done really well :)

Take care, and remember we are always here.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Hey BHI,

Welcome to TheSite.org, theirs not much I wanted to say, but had a urge to respond, I'm glad you've found TheSite.org :) - It sounds like self harm for you, has been quite the on and off thing and also something that you have struggled with for a long period of time, have you reached out to other people about your self harm, for example your doctor/GP?

It's amazing to hear you were able to quit for such a long period of time, that's great, but part of recovery is relapses I'm afraid. This doesn't show you have failed, it just mean's you're struggling, but it's great to hear you are eager to stop again, often when we get overwhelming difficult emotions we don't know how to cope, so turn to negative behaviours, have you thought about checking TheSite's article out on Coping tips and distractions? Then a further article on 'Dealing with urges'

Personally, I've found these two links exceptionally helpful, and so has my friend, a step to stopping self harm is confiding in someone Self-harming is a personal thing and opening up to people can be scary, but it may be that you feel you want to talk about self-harm and the problems you are having. I have to admit, personally I've found talking about such a sensative very difficult but you've managed to vaguely touch on it here, which you should be proud of yourself for :)

How do you feel after posting this? Does it help to talk abut things? :)

Keep us updated on how things are going for you and keep reaching out to us,
    Best wishes,
    Angel
    @Fiend - Could be a number of things really..I think I'm at the point with it that there is no trigger but that of me just wanting to feel something I know is real.

@Claire - Thank you, and yes I do have a friend to talk to..

@Angel - This time I'm not eager to stop, I just know that I need to..
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Hi BHI.
    I self harmed back in January - (I think), first time in about 6 years. I felt really disappointed and I'm still not sure why I did it. I think it's like everyone else says, sometimes you just relapse, it's all part of the recovery.
    I wanted to do it again everyday for about a week after but I kept reminding myself, 6 years, 6 years and I didn't feel the need to self harm. Maybe next time it will be 7. :D It might help you too, think about the longest time you went without hurting yourself and make it your goal to get past that amount of time, and keep going.

I won't lie, it hasn't been easy, I've been depressed for a few months now and was starting to feel better, until the news about my grandfather.
    Wish I could be of more help.
    I'd been okay for a year, then 6 months, it just gets less (x
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    BHI wrote: »
    I'd been okay for a year, then 6 months, it just gets less (x

What kinds of things have been triggering it? If you don't mind me asking? xx
    Sorry to hear that sweetie :(
    Relapse is a normal part of recovery, I know it's not ideal but you'll probably always have the urge to cut... it'll get easier to cope with time though.
    Talking to a friend helps a lot, I always dismissed this because I didn't know how to start a conversation about it but I'm so glad I did and I would really recommend you try to. Some people like writing a letter if it's too hard to talk, I don't know?
    Trying to find something you enjoy and can focus on helps. It doesn't have to be a hobby - get a new book, start watching a new TV series, take up blogging or something? Having something you can enjoy gives you something to distract yourself with. Good luck :heart:
    I'm not really sure what causes it to be honest...usually is different really..
    Cutting isn't healthy. But really, if you can't help it... Then you can't help it. I did it for years. For me it was like a release of tension and my emotions. I'm not sure if its the same for anyone else. Keep trying. Try to be strong and remind yourself that you can get through the hard times. Easier said than done but try to stay positive. Good luck x
    I know..it's the same for me and it feels SO good.. /: