Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I'm feeling guilty and worried about my dad.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When I was 8, I accidentally hurt my dad quite badly when I was playing, and he ended up very ill in hospital with a bad infection. Other people know how it happened, and I don't think they blame me, but I blame me, so much, and I always have. Now he's had another accident and he's got the same infection, although it isn't as bad as last time. I'm so scared he's going to get really sick again. And he's a lot older now, what if his body isn't strong enough to fight it off?

Logically I know that this time it wasn't my fault, but I feel like it is. I'm blaming myself for him being ill now and I don't know what I can do to keep him safe :(

Comments

• ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    :heart: Just be there for him. :heart:

We feel guilty and blame ourselves sometimes for things that have nothing to do with us. I think it's because we care so much for the people involved and we want to do something to help, but we can't.
    We probably feel powerless and think that if only we were smarter, or stronger we could do something, so we end up blaming ourselves for not being more useful.

I'm sure your father would appreciate anything that you do for him, even if it's just a chat or making him smile. *hug*
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    He's fine now :) I think I was just being panicky and daft when I first heard from my mum what had happened. I've been getting very worried and protective over my parents and other people since their friends that I love and who are the same age as my parents have started dying :(