Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Constantly feel sick

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure if I've posted about this before, but it's becoming a real problem. Every time I eat I feel very sick, even if I've only had a bite.

I make myself sick quite often, so I'm not sure if it's just my body associating food with being sick... or if I actually have a health problem. I'm getting really annoyed with it now, because I'm getting very hungry but I just feel physically ill every time I eat.

Advice?? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    any chance youre pregnant?
    any chance youre pregnant?

I've got the implant and I'm on the pill so I hope not!!
    I get this too and I think it is related to you making yourself sick.
    My totally impractical advice is to get a tummy bug like the one I've had today. I don't think I'll be wanting to see the inside of the toilet again for a while...

On a more serious note - is there anything that affects it more or less? I find that sugary foods bring on a lot more pain than, for example, the sausage roll I have in the morning.

Might also be worth timing your eating around when you take your medication as an incentive to keep the food down.
    I can eat cereal without being sick, although it makes me feel icky still.
    I think it's hot food more than just snacky things. Like I had a pack of crisps today at school and that was okay. It's just really annoying because this is a physical thing, it's not like I eat it and then want to be sick out of guilt etc, I actually feel sick... I have no control :(

Maybe I'll just live off cereal and crisps forever. I could go on freaky eaters.
    The only thing I can think of is to eat like you're getting over a stomach bug. Like plain dry crackers, then soup, then toast etc.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    The only thing I can think of is to eat like you're getting over a stomach bug. Like plain dry crackers, then soup, then toast etc.

I thought about that, but soup and bread really don't appeal to me at the moment. To be honest all I want to eat is cereal, but that isn't very socially acceptable.

I go through fazes of only liking one thing for months, and then I'll hate it, never eat it again and live off something else. Maybe it's when I eat something I don't actually want (i.e anything that isn't cereal) I feel sick? I don't know. It's driving me insane, it's my birthday tomorrow and I want to eat nice things like my cake but it'll make me ill :(
    Dried ginger. Sniffing mint oil.

Also, you can get wristbands with little knobbly bits on that stop motion sickness. I don't know if they stop other kinds of sickness too?
    I thought about that, but soup and bread really don't appeal to me at the moment. To be honest all I want to eat is cereal, but that isn't very socially acceptable.

I go through fazes of only liking one thing for months, and then I'll hate it, never eat it again and live off something else. Maybe it's when I eat something I don't actually want (i.e anything that isn't cereal) I feel sick? I don't know. It's driving me insane, it's my birthday tomorrow and I want to eat nice things like my cake but it'll make me ill :(

Also if all you want to eat is cereal, just eat it. Put some dried fruit in if you fancy some vitamins?
    grace wrote: »
    Dried ginger. Sniffing mint oil.

Also, you can get wristbands with little knobbly bits on that stop motion sickness. I don't know if they stop other kinds of sickness too?

Never heard the mint one before! I do have ginger tea, that might help if I sip it while I'm eating.
    grace wrote: »
    Also if all you want to eat is cereal, just eat it. Put some dried fruit in if you fancy some vitamins?

*here comes another weird food problem I have* I can't have textures mixing in food that makes me sick too. I might buy some dried fruit to eat on it's on though, dried fruit is nice.
    Never heard the mint one before! I do have ginger tea, that might help if I sip it while I'm eating.

Yeah I get REALLY car sick so I carry it everywhere and it works wonders :)
    I'll try and get some :) thanks Grace!
    Lemon stuff helped me when I had gastritis. It might be worth checking if it is gastritis
    is it proper nausea, like when you have a tummy bug and you feel ill, or is it more of an anxious "wanting" to be sick because youre full or feeling guilty?
    is it proper nausea, like when you have a tummy bug and you feel ill, or is it more of an anxious "wanting" to be sick because youre full or feeling guilty?

Proper nausea like having a tummy bug. I had to sleep with a hot water bottle last night because it was so bad.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Lemon stuff helped me when I had gastritis. It might be worth checking if it is gastritis

Would I have to go to the doctor for tests?
    I've been told that if you purge a lot your body can start delaying emptying the stomach, and opiates can do that too. Your body can feel hungry because it's not digesting even though your stomach is full.
    I've passed out twice this morning. I want to stay at home but I have to go to school, we're going on a school trip to see War Horse and we have to right about it in our drama exam so it's not optional. Feel so ill.
    I've passed out twice this morning. I want to stay at home but I have to go to school, we're going on a school trip to see War Horse and we have to right about it in our drama exam so it's not optional. Feel so ill.

Honey. You need to see a doctor. If you're passing out it's really a problem.

Try taking some boiled sweets (can you eat those?) just for a bit of sugar/energy without feeling like you're actually eating anything. X
    Honey. You need to see a doctor. If you're passing out it's really a problem.

Try taking some boiled sweets (can you eat those?) just for a bit of sugar/energy without feeling like you're actually eating anything. X

:yes: To all.

(As an aside, War Horse is amazing!)
    I'm going to book myself a doctors appointment next week. I couldn't face going today I was in a right state this morning. I'll let you all know what they say :)

(also, War Horse was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!)
    I've gone from 58kgs to 52kgs in 3 weeks. I think this is really becoming a problem now. My mental health worker was absolutely no use at all when I spoke to her yesterday :( She said I have to go for a blood test and that's about it.
    The only thing I can think of is anti nausea medicine from the docs. I had it when I felt like this once, it worked but it used to knock me out until I got used to it