Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Recording creative ideas and processes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have creative ideas coming out of my ears/eyes/nose/navel and any other orifice you can think of. I need a way of recording all my ideas in a way that will make sense when I go back to them and in a way that will keep them all together and incorporate different media (photos, possibly sounds, maybe more). I've tried notebooks (which get confusing if you are using one for multiple topics - like I've had one for make up, one for styling, one for lyrics and poetry and one for making things). It's easy for them to get lost. I've tried using the notes app on my phone but its just notes no other media. I can't draw on it either. It needs to be something fast too, otherwise the idea is gone.

Can anyone suggest anything? Apps or a system they use which is paper-based.

Comments

• Options
    I use a little notebook from Paperchase - it has a variety if types of paper, plain & lined, and plastic pocket inserts in a few different sizes. The plastic pockets split the paper up into sections so could use for different things.

Have also used a Pukka Pad project book.
  • Options
    Microsoft onenote?
  • Options
    Pinterest?
  • Options
    I'm a mac user -'is there a mac equivalent?
  • Options
    Yeah, if there was a Pinterest that I could keep private that I could add text to that would be perfect.

I'm sure there's the perfect thing out there I just don't know what it is yet.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    There are secret boards on Pinterest now thwt you could use perhaps. Otherwise I just used random pieces of paper and put them in a box or my moleskin book.
  • Options
    Yeah, I thought you could have private Pinterest boards.
  • Options
    You can? Awesome!

Has anyone tried Evernote?
  • Options
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    You can? Awesome!

Has anyone tried Evernote?

I've tried it and didn't get the hang of it.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I've tried it and didn't get the hang of it.

I had the same problem, but I thought it was just me.
  • Options
    What about a ringbinder? You can add different types of paper and plastic wallets for smaller or unusual things. You can also get some dividers to separate ideas. A bit like Kaff's idea of a notebook but with a ringbinder you can add more pages where you like or reorder things.

I have ideas all over the place. Need to think of a good system too.

Although you might have different systems for different types of projects?
  • Options
    Hey,

Have you tried using padlet? http://padlet.com/ 'Paper for the web'. You can add most file types to your wall (including video, which is fun!) So you can add your photos and sounds. There's quite a few customizing tools and you can make the walls you make private as well.

If you did want to share, it's really easy to do - you can make collaborative walls. Me and my sister have been making one recently to keep in touch now that we don't live together anymore. It's a little bit like Pinterest smushed with Evernote but really easy to use :)
  • Options
    That sounds pretty good I just wished they had an app too! I'll have a look at that.

I've got a house full of half filled note books which end up getting wedged down the sofa or something. Physical stuff doesn't work for me :(