Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

How to resign my way?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Recently the company I work for relocated me to another office tripling my traveling time. Not only does this cost me a fortune (with no raise) but it also means I have no life now as by the time I get in from work I'm too tired and its too late to go out.

I want to reduce my hours but I'm 95% confident that will be refused. If that's the case I will resign but I want that as a last resort.

I want to bargain first to get something suitable for me but I'm not sure how to go about this. Do I just explain what I've said here and see what they say? If they refuse to reduce my hours as I expect how should I handle my resignation?

I'm fortunate in that I have savings and other avenues to make money so whilst I could just quit I want to get as much of a deal i can before that becomes my only option.

Whilst I do feel if I resigned they would probably bargain with me (as i am am an important member of staff but they wont offer anything unless forced to) I'm not counting on it so don't want to show my hand as it were too early. Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Ask first, because if you don't you will end up kicking yourself if you resign and they decide to do nothing but let you go. You wont know if they will offer you anything until you ask. If they think that you might have resigned to blackmail them or bargain in any way, it could be added incentive for them to get rid of you.
  • Options
    I guess thats what im asking. How to ask first and if things don't go the way i want them to go, how to hand in my notice. Eg. Im thinking if things reach a stalemate where they won't budge i just say well regretably i'll have to hand in my notice.

But surely there is a better way of doing that?

If they let me go, thats fine, thats my choice and in a lot of ways its what i want but i do want to try and get some kind of deal first if i can.
  • Options
    You should resign with a cake like this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2013/apr/16/resignation-cake-sweetest-goodbye

(no actual advice sorry!)
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Have you checked your contract on relocation? In many companies they will pay the additional expenses for a certain time, might not be anything but worth checking.
  • Options
    Check your contract, then set up some time for a chat with your manager to review how things are going following the office move.

Explain some of the issues, but I'd suggest to focus on how you think it's affecting your ability to do your job well. Look for solutions together that may help reduce the impact.

Is working slightly longer hours some days in exchange for shorter days on other days an option? working from home one day a week or a fortnight?
  • Options
    Yeah checked the contract and nothing i can do. I like the company, the work is okay although slowly getting more boring and i get on well with the bosses. But i have no life, i don't want to live to work and currently i spend 90% of my day at working or travelling to work with the other 10% to eat food, relax or do other things in my life. Even doing stuff like washing plates takes days because i have so little time outside of work to do anything.

I know that if i did leave the company would have issues losing me, but i know they won't offer anything unless they really have to. But at the same time if i have to resign to get a better work/life ratio then thats fine by me but if i can get that and a wage then even better.

Working longer hours is not an option for me or them. I currently have 3 hours spare time an evening after all the travel. Again working from home is not an option as everyone is required to be in the office.
  • Options
    relocate? (they may chip in)

Otherwise explain that your work/life balance has suffered due to the change in working practice and ask if they can offer any suggestions. Then look for another job.
  • Options
    I agree with carriage return. Keep on with job you're in, ask to renegotiate hours, if no then look for another job.
  • Options
    If you feel like you have no choice but to quit because they have made your job unworkable you may be able to sue them for constructive dismissal.
    Making you work from somewhere 3 times the distance but without giving you at the least, a travelling allowance is disgusting.
  • Options
    Relocation is not an option because of a mortgage, i wouldn't want to live near the offices and they don't have that sort of money.

I've already asked to reduce my hours when first told of this move and was denied and asked to trial it for 6 months before having another meeting. But i already know before that 6 months i don't want to do this.

Looking for another job whilst keeping this one would be extreamly difficult. I already have zero time for life outside of work let alone spending hours online looking for it plus going to interviews would require me booking a whole days holiday.

WhoWhere i don't believe i can sue for constructive dismissal and wouldn't want to anyways. The distance isn't that far, but because of the way public transport is laid out and the road network it means a short distance takes a long time.

Basically i can quit if i want to, i have backup plans but if i can demand what ever i want and not worry if those demands don't work i'd like to try it. Just not 100% sure how to ask what i want and if they say no how to then quickly say 'I'll have to give my notice then' without sounding rude or in a bad way.

Im almost trying to use a resignation to negotiate better terms, but without them realising i'll resign if i don't get what i want.
  • Options
    I'd seek UCAS advice first, I'm pretty sure that they are supposed to pay additional travel costs whether its in your contract or not. There's also an issue that moving you and not paying your additional costs, thus forcing you to resign, is in effect constructive dismissal.
  • Options
    I don't think i have a case as the contract states work may be required in other nearby locations. Besides i like the people i work for, its just their goals don't match mine and i am slightly bored of the job. Going down the suing route isn't a route i even want to think about.
  • Options
    Whowhere wrote: »
    If you feel like you have no choice but to quit because they have made your job unworkable you may be able to sue them for constructive dismissal.
    Making you work from somewhere 3 times the distance but without giving you at the least, a travelling allowance is disgusting.

thats what i was going to say
  • Options
    unless it means from 10 minutes to 30 or something
  • Options
    I'm also intrigued as to what you call a really long journey?

If you're determined to not really fight it then your best bet is to ask for a meeting with your boss to discuss practicalities following the office move. Prepare a list of the issues and the impact that they're having, and what some possible solutions might be. Best to include the ones like working from home that you don't think are suitable and then say that, just to show that you've considered a range of options. Explain that these problems are making it very difficult for you to continue working here and stay content with life so either need to look for a solution or you will need to start looking for other options of employment.
  • Options
    You're also entitled to travelling time. If your journeys used to take 30 minutes, but now take 90, that 60 minutes each way comes out of their time, not yours for at least a year.
  • Options
    Its an hour and a half each way at best, sometimes two hours depending on public transport. Driving sadly also takes the same amount of time due to the traffic.

Whowhere, i've never heard of that before anywhere. Got any more information?