Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

SHould ld labor be brought back (w/o the exploitation)?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When America banned child labor decades ago, they were really trying to ban exploitation. I agree that children shouldn't work long hours with meager pay any more than us adults. That doesn't mean they shouldn't work at all. Old enough to do household chores = old enough to work. We could give them at least federal minimum wage and benefits just like adults. And hell no to dangerous working conditions. Lowering working age to 7 or 8 and having them sweep floors in a retail store would instill work ethics. It isn't such a hard task.

Currently, we let 10 y/o's become entitled when 100% provided for financially. I know some middle aged ppl who drove forklifts at age 10 and done a good job at it. I admit I'm 24 and couldn't drive forklifts, but only bc I haven't been trained to. Training is also important, just like it is for adults. Point is, don't everyone deserve the pride of earning our own cash? We're not doing our kids any favor by denying them that right on the pretense of protecting them. Lots of them, if they don't become entitled, gets resentful that they're spending their parents' money.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Perhaps they should concentrate at school and get good grades rather than go to work at such young ages. I also doubt it would be a good idea considering that if they find a job for a child, then surely there is a job there for an adult as well. So many in America are currently unemployed, I doubt they would appreciate the workforce growing by such a massive amount.
    I'd rather see kids being kids, childhood is over in the blink of an eye these days. Household chores and responsibilities are enough.
    cant someone just ban you already?
    Whilst the wider question of child labour is one that can be discussed anywhere in the world, I think it is worth reminding kissmekate that this is a UK based website, so there is the potential for some of the nuance of argument/discussion to be different between the UK and the USA.
    Sure, if you're saying that 13 years old can have a paper round and 15 year olds work a Saturday afternoon in a shop

But I'm as economically liberal as they come and I'd draw the line at having 7 and 8 year olds sweeping the floor or come to that anyone under 16 working full-time.
    Enterprising 12-13 year olds having Saturday jobs - great.

But otherwise I think you're having a laugh!! There are so many reasons that the laws in the UK prohibit work under that age - like the fact they should be at school and doing normal kid stuff. They'll be working for the majority of the rest of their lives why suggest more. Plus I don't think many are mature enough to work under 13.
    who should get the wages. The children or the parents?
    who should get the wages. The children or the parents?

They should use that money to help with the bills, rent, food, no such thing as a free ride. Damn scroungers. After all, when children worked, it was to help out their family.