Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Feel like I've lost my purpose...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been caring for my parents since I was six, until the big fight in January where my mother turned around ans said I'm dead to her. that's nearly 12 years being a carer. Its all I ever really knew, I practically devoted my life to caring and helping others.

but now, Since I'm not caring anymore, I feel like I've lost my purpose, I feel like I've lost myself, and that I don't belong, fit in and aren't important anymore. Its contributing to making my moods lower, for Example I went to a carers event today for info on caring for people. I felt rubbish throught it because I'm not the carer anymore. Nobody requires me to help them feel better. Nobody needs me to do anything for them to get through the day. Nobody needs me. I'm not needed. I'm not wanted. I've lost a big part of me.

Do I envy the old me?.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can understand that losing a purpose that you felt defined you as a person must be incredibly unsettling.

Do you think maybe looking at working in the caring profession may help?

Nurse training?
    How about turning that around and taking time to very carefully look at how you can be caring for you. Looking at all your needs and seeing what being met and not met.
    I can't do nurse training, I'm A) to stupid and B) to squirmish to do that..
    you dont come across as stupid, plus, youre not expected to know anything BEFORE they teach you it.

Squeamishness can be got over, plus you get a bursary for it in some places.
    I'm really stupid, honestly...I fail exams..I failed my GCSEs.....
    I only got onto alevels because the woman read my results wrong, and I dropped out of alevels..
    failing exams means youre not great at exams. It doesnt mean youre stupid. Some of the most intelligent and successful people I know have brilliant minds, but did shit in their exams.

There can be a million reasons for not doing well in an exam.
    Stress, pressure anxiety, overload, confidence, illness, lack of interest in that subject.
    Stress?...I got that stressed in my English exam i wrote my name and fell asleep..
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Could it be because of the routine?
    I like knowing what I'm doing in advance, I feel safe when I have routine. I don't mind the odd change but I like knowing where I stand, what's in store for me during the day.
    Do you think that might be it? If that's the case settling into another routine might help.