Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

a few baby questions again

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sure you're not doing this, but try and avoid putting sugar or honey or anything like that on the dummy. Will be bad for teeth when he gets them. Dummy use in littlies is generally not thought to do any harm to teeth shape.

:thumb:

There are a lot of things that you swear you'll never do, pre-kids, and totally end up doing. The realities are just different to how you think they'll be. P ended up with a dummy after we realised it made her sleep. We kept them for naptimes and bed, and took them away without incident when she was about 1. It wasn't a big deal, and gave us slightly more sleep than we otherwise would have got! F is also a sucky baby and we have tried him with all manner of dummies and he WON'T take them! Very frustrating. He sometimes does suck his thumb, and I can imagine him doing it more and more as his motor skills improve. Unfortunately we won't be able to throw his thumb away when he turns one!
    Love the moustache one!!

We're gping to try limit it to the certain.point in.the eve when he seems hungry after an enormous feed but just likes to suck my nipple like its spaghetti (ouch) and takes himself off repeatedly. At that point nothing settles him.

Plus SOS emergencies when Im trying to soothe and rock him in the carrier and he starts crying. Im struggling to reach the neck clasp and the crying turns into screaming. I start crying too. So we're both just stood there crying and scaring Battlecat. Guess we've all been there tho.. Right? I hope so! :-P oh dear.
    id actually SUGGEST a dummy for a sucky baby. How they look is less important than being able to comfort them when its not convenient to get your tits out. Car journeys, middle of supermarket etc
    A on the other hand is a thumb sucker and I cant seem to stop her doing it and its making her teeth funny

I know you've probably tried everything but keep at it. I still suck my thumb at 24 because imo my mum started trying to get me to stop way too late, and my teeth are seriously out of whack. And my thumbs are different lengths.

Twinnie sucked her finger until we hit puberty and would get warts that had to be frozen off and that was pretty gross too.
    ive tried thumb guards which she has lost and ive tried showing her pictures of thumb suckers teeth on the internet. She wants to stop, but then other times she says she cant because "its just TOO yummy" She has been promised lelli kellys for when she manages to finally stop, but it hasnt worked yet. Shes 5 now
    I sucked my thumb until secondary school, it didn't do any real damage to my teeth (maybe because I'd broken them?). A lot of people who need a brace will need them anyway, my neice has one and she never sucked her thumb or fingers or a dummy (not a sucker (she's 14, no jokes ok?)). Anyway, I stopped because I was too busy to suck my thumb and keep up with work.
    He is a very sucky baby which makes me wonder if his frequent feedings are a result of that. It's been once every hour.. two if I'm lucky. I know babies have a growth spurt but it can't be a permanent growth spurt. He's been putting on weight very well but I've just been offering him the boob whenever he makes what I perceive as cues for being hungry (finger sucking, sticking tongue out, sucking really hard on my little finger when offered). Is this not right?

The thing is, whenever he's awake, if I offer the boob he won't turn it down at all. It's only when he's asleep (or I think he's asleep) and finished feeding, I offer it and he brushes away from it. Is that normal? Am I overfeeding him too much booby?
    I always thought you couldn't really overfeed from booby.

teehee booby
    it's just that he never ever refuses a feed when he's awake, he may be comfort sucking but he's still getting milk i guess.

heh i know. booooby
    Have you joined mumsnet, or netmums or whatever they're called? You're getting advice and that here, but wondering if you might get more there?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Have you joined mumsnet, or netmums or whatever they're called? You're getting advice and that here, but wondering if you might get more there?

I'm on net mums and have been googling a lot but I value people's opinions here quite a bit :)
    Just checking.

boooooooooooooooobies
    mumsnet is more betterer than nethuns
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    My littley used to comfort suckle both boobie and then, later on, the bottle and would promptly spew up. Eventually we realised it was comfort from suckling and not hunger and a dummy helped wonders.
    My littley used to comfort suckle both boobie and then, later on, the bottle and would promptly spew up. Eventually we realised it was comfort from suckling and not hunger and a dummy helped wonders.

Yeah i think this is the case because he is quite sicky. Im just wary about using the dummy when he is actually hungry and maybe going through a growth spurt. Guess hed just spit the dummy out?
    Yeah i think this is the case because he is quite sicky. Im just wary about using the dummy when he is actually hungry and maybe going through a growth spurt. Guess hed just spit the dummy out?

Yeah, he'll let you know when he's actually hungry!

You can't over feed a breastfed baby. They'll just puke back/poo out what they don't need. With P, I stuck a boob in her mouth pretty much every time she cried. Fixes all sorts! F not so much of a fan - needed all new tactics with him! Very annoying.
    My boy will never turn down the offer of boob during the day and I thought he was hungry all the time but really what had happened was that I'd fallen into a trap and he was just snacking. In the end I realised this when we visited Kaff in (Jan? Feb? March? can't remember!) and he went nearly 4 hours with no feed and I was v shocked, and then he had an epic feed and went another 3 hours.

Then I started timing gaps and not letting him feed if it hadn't been 3 hours. That way he fed less frequently but took more milk each time. IYKWIM.
    Kaff- im the same! Boob is an instant problem solver.

Khss- how did that go? Bet it was hard going. Bax seems to gradually be spacing himself out a tiny bit more between feeds. Esp at night. Oh and he slept for 5 solid hrs the other night! :-)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    So much to learn :(
    Hulby dont worry. I've learnt a lot but still feel.clueless sometimes.. But we havent killed him yet:thumb:
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    But we havent killed him yet:thumb:

Well done, have a gold star :p