Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Becoming a distributor with the Utility Warehouse

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
https://www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/

This is their website.

A friend is currently recommending this company to her friends and she says it's a way of making a small income by recommending them to other people

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2009/dec/05/utility-warehouse-telecom-plus-distributor

Found this.

Basically it would be self employed. As far as I can tell company on the stock exchange. Is this opportunity to promote them and get a small income for doing so dodgy is the basic question. I've met people at a careers evening doing it - seems to be above board, but too good to be true.

Anyone come across them or have any thoughts about the opportunity of promoting their services to earn a small amount of money ?

Comments

• Options
    It's legit for sure, though that doesn't stop it from being a bit dodgy. When I say legitimate it's along the lines of The Monster Raving Loony Party being a legitimate political party, but not a very decent/serious one.

I've heard of these guys before and the major set back above anything else, is that its commission based. In most jobs you will get paid either set salary or in accordance to the hours you have worked. With this job you don't get paid according to what you actually do, its purely on the decisions of others (the people you sign up).

The big issue with this is that whilst "some" people can make a lot of money, not everyone will. You could end up working crazy hours with far too much effort for nothing at all, or have a lucky break and get loads of wonga for no effort at all. It's very difficult to budget, and also very easy to overspend in the good weeks before you end up going through a dry patch.

For the effort you can end up putting in, you can sometimes end up earning a lot more if you were in a stable job. I personally wouldn't rely on major income from an opportunity like this. I understand that it mentions in that article you linked that they are deliberately aiming to spark intrigue with the way they design their business cards. Yes I understand that talking about utilities can be very boring, but a business that has to do this (ref the intrigue) confuses me somewhat. Add to the fact that they're also not the cheapest for many, is another sticking point.

This company to me, is akin to the PPI claims company. Someone turns out of the blue with a business card or a knock on the door, trying to offer you something that you're perfectly able to research yourself on the internet. Much like PPI claims firms trying to get you to claim through them, when you can do it yourself.

Like I said, it's legit but still dubious. I wouldn't rely or depend on this for any major income. Also, be prepared for people who sign up and not actually end up going through with it (ooh check out all the commission I thought I had, but never ended up with). Another thing would be to avoid falling into the trap of doing this part time, and thereby giving up some guaranteed income and going for the lure of "possible" income where if you worked less you could have ended up with more, if you hadn't gone with these guys.
  • Options
    I'm with utility warehouse as a utilities supplier not as a distributor but the service is fairly good! They are definitely legit.
  • Options
    Utility Warehouse - my view

Enjoy this site as a reader, and good to become a contributor too! I don't often post on forums, but I have some feedback on this company.

I am a customer and shareholder - my cousin is an agent and he and his wife have done really well. I can offer some views based on that experience.

My experience is - as a customer: I use four services (Internet, phone, gas and electricity). Have been for six years and no issues that haven't been sorted swiftly. I will switch my mobile when I can get around to getting Vodafone to tell me how to keep my number. I use the card sometimes for the discounts off my shopping, though it isn't yet a habit. Sainsbury's, Marks and Spencer and Boots seem to like them if they're doing these deals, and there's a lot of others too. It comes on one bill and seems to make sense and is convenient. I've recommended my cousin to speak to a few friends, and those that have switched haven't told me any horror stories.

I was asked if I wanted to be an agent too. It wasn't for me, but I am probably a bit like G-Raffe in that I like working to a set schedule and pay, and spare time I enjoy playing the stock market too, which I have a knack for, so I'm fortunately quite comfortable.

That said, I'm probably not that energetic and entrepreneurial, but can see from what I know of the success of my cousin, and what I have read about them in Which magazine (who have given them lots of thumbs up), they are legit and there are certainly rewards for those with some energy and enthusiasm for running their own agency with them, even if just in their spare time.

I think some of G-Raffe's post is probably quite unfair. My cousin never relied on it for a wage straight away, but treated it like his own business that they would do in their spare time and it has grown well for them over the last few years.

I have kept an eye on it, because I did put some money into shares which have gone in my SIPP. To be fair, the shares have outperformed almost all others fairly consistently, and the City seems to like them. They're a FTSE250 company and even just the last two weeks have left much of the market standing.

So, i hope that provides a balanced view, mark1984 - certainly legit, good for customer, good for shareholders, and good for agents who are prepared to put in some time...albeit from an interested observer and someone who is pleased to see them succeed!
  • Options
    gerrys48 wrote: »
    I think some of G-Raffe's post is probably quite unfair. My cousin never relied on it for a wage straight away, but treated it like his own business that they would do in their spare time and it has grown well for them over the last few years.

The point I was trying to make was dissuading people from assuming they could and would make megabucks from day one, which wouldn't necessarily be the case. Treating it like your own business and having it as something on the side (fully declared of course) would be a sensible way to go.
  • Options
    They are legit but it's very hard to get off the ground. It takes a lot of effort and you may feel for months like you're going nowhere. My husband did it and never made much. I do Betterware now. Used to do Kleeneze but I never made money with it because the charges were ludicrous. With Betterware we have managed to already clear some debts and save towards moving.
  • Options
    chaos_insomniac is right - I think it takes time for any business to get off the ground. I am impressed how UW don't sell themselves as a 'get rich' scheme.

I had a Betterware catalogue through this morning ironically and found something in there I want to order that I have needed for a while for the kitchen!

Now the sun is out, I suspect it is an easier business to run. My cousin and his wife were Kleeneze agents in their past life and one of the things that swayed them to UW is the fact that everyone uses their services and they only have to make the sale once, which gives them a proper passive income. I remember his wife saying that when it snowed or rained, their income basically stopped!

I guess it comes down to what suits the individual, like everything in life.
  • Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. For the time being I think I'm going to leave it. I think it's better I concentrate my efforts on getting part time/full time work.

It was a friend who is doing it who recommended it. I'm not sure it's up my street really.