Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Margaret Thatcher has died

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Stealing from someone else: out of respect for the dead, I'll make no further comment.
    Don't think you'll find many people grieving for her on here!

Have already seen people on other sites saying how delighted they are, which is just completely unnecessary and lacking class IMO.

You don't have to be sad about it, but ultimately she is still someones mother and grandmother and should be respected.
    Breaking news that she will get the same class of funeral as Princess Diana and the Queen Mother.

Neddy, I agree, rejoicing at someone's death is foolish and hurtful.
    is it usual for a PM to get a state funeral? Or is it cos she was made a baroness?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    is it usual for a PM to get a state funeral? Or is it cos she was made a baroness?

On the BBC page that piccolo just posted it said that she won't get a state funeral though?
    Ceremonial with full military honours, but she won't lie in state.
    I assumed that Princess Diana and the Queen Mother would have had state funerals.

Edit: Ah, Picc saves the day

Not usual no, but I expect it hinges on:
    - being a wartime leader
    - first female PM
    - her notoriety, not just in the UK but around the world

Essentially she's a special case, not an ordinary PM.
    I thought she was already dead, Clearly I have no idea whats going on in the world beyond my room.
    Bingo!!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Not usual no, but I expect it hinges on:
    - being a wartime leader
    - first female PM
    - her notoriety, not just in the UK but around the world

Essentially she's a special case, not an ordinary PM.

First woman and one of our longest serving. I cannot forgive many of her policies but I can easily see that both of those points warrant recognition from the nation.
    She was an excellent way to kill errant erections.

Obviously there is a lot of wailing, crying and gnashing of teeth here in Scotland.
    There seem to be plenty of people that are pleased. I'm not totally sure why. She effectively died of old age, nothing she did badly is going to be undone, she was always going to die eventually...
    it certainly would have been more satisfying if she'd been beaten to death by a mob of angry miners and shipbuilders
    There seem to be plenty of people that are pleased. I'm not totally sure why. She effectively died of old age, nothing she did badly is going to be undone, she was always going to die eventually...

Yeah, an old lady died. It's not something to be cheering about. Well, not much cheering...

It might be a response to the deification that's currently taking place on the news channels. But that's what a famous death and the need to fill 24 hours of air time gets you.

A lot of old Tories have been defrosted and put in front of a camera this afternoon. Not many regional accents popping up :d
    Not surprised.

Frankly, that we haven't had a woman PM since is still somewhat testament to her enormous force of will. She didn't half fuck some shit up though.
    She did a lot of good things, and also a lot of bad. Both of which were before the time I can remember and understand things.

The big issue here is how many people, are in my eyes making complete idiots of themselves. I find some of the comments about her death to be completely disgusting and out of order, if you feel that strongly then by all means feel that way; just don't advertise it to the world in such a sickening way. There is a danger that some leftists will lose a minute amount of support for the way they have acted towards a frail old lady who has now passed away.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    The big issue here is how many people, are in my eyes making complete idiots of themselves. I find some of the comments about her death to be completely disgusting and out of order, if you feel that strongly then by all means feel that way; just don't advertise it to the world in such a sickening way. There is a danger that some leftists will lose a minute amount of support for the way they have acted towards a frail old lady who has now passed away.

Oh behave, it's not a big issue at all. It's no worse than blinkered celebration of her brilliance that some people are wanking themselves into a frenzy about.
    I'm not so much saying don't speak ill of the dead, more so just realise that you look like a mean and spiteful tit.

Just been watching a miners union rep on the news who on live TV just called news of her death "as a glorious day". I'm not sure how her death will change anything in the modern day.

I disagree with many things she did, yet the coal industry was already on a downhill spiral and little amounts of money would have saved it. Like I said, many things she did were wrong. However, people chose to strike.
    I agree pretty much with G-Raffe.

Whether or not you agreed with what she did, she was beyond doubt an iconic figure. Celebrating her death, well after she stopped having any influence on anything other than through her legacy - which won't change whether she's alive or dead seems petty.
    I can understand people getting annoyed with the hyperbole of Thatcher fanfare that will no doubt be going on today, but some of the comments I have seen have been utterly sickening.
    I can understand people getting annoyed with the hyperbole of Thatcher fanfare that will no doubt be going on today, but some of the comments I have seen have been utterly sickening.

This. It's grim. She was a mother and a grandmother, her family are grieving. Grief is hard enough without public hatred, YOU might not like her or agree with her views, but her family loved her. Some people need to remember that and consider whether they'd want to read hateful comments about their closet family members after their death.
    I agree pretty much with G-Raffe.

Whether or not you agreed with what she did, she was beyond doubt an iconic figure. Celebrating her death, well after she stopped having any influence on anything other than through her legacy - which won't change whether she's alive or dead seems petty.

I agree to a degree, but the guardian article posted by suzy makes a good point about letting it be a free for all 'hagiography'. E.g. if criticism is frowned upon, then the praise she receives will appear universal, and will be seen as an endorsement of her policies, which may shift modern politics further towards her policies.

Not getting involved myself, just thought I'd comment on a side tangent about the rights and wrongs of politicising someone's death.
    There's a way to criticise policies without going for the dancing on the grave ding, dong the witch is dead approach.

By all means question the legacy she left - and there are some who are doing it well, but the 'Yippee she's dead' approach taken by some disappoints me. If you've got a point to make, then make it and make it clearly. There are number of people who are just going for the 'yay she's gone approach'. One of the downsides being that there is plenty of good that she did that can easily be used to counter the simple yay she's gone, whereas is folk bothered to articulate why they disliked her they'd have a stronger case.
    Genuine curiosity, what did she do that people consider good? People in this thread are saying she did a lot of good, so I'm interested in what they mean by that.

ETA: And this isn't me adopting a 'everything she did was bad' stance.

:yes: There's a difference between criticising her policies and disliking her as PM and celebrating her death...
    First female UK prime minister.

Had a proper career and skills before moving to politics.

Strong female scientist working in industry, unusual at the time.

How she handled the Falklands (more controversial that one).
    Vile woman. I have no reason to grieve for her, and I have no respect for her. My comments regarding her death are in no way impacting other people's "grieving" so I don't see an issue at all.

There's going to be one final party, of all the old groups who got together to protest, reclaim the streets etc. which I am going to with my dad. I have utterly no reason to mourn her death, and I do not feel that I should show "respect" for someone who ruined the lives of many including people in my family. As my dad put it, it's like the death of Stalin or a similar figure.
    Vile woman. I have no reason to grieve for her, and I have no respect for her. My comments regarding her death are in no way impacting other people's "grieving" so I don't see an issue at all.

I think that's fair.

Regarding what your dad said, I'm not sure she's quite on the level of Stalin, etc., but a lot of people do hold her responsible for loss of livelihood.