Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Book-of-the-Film-of-the-Book Club Discussion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Adapatations special discussion is now open,

Who's watched the Perks of Being a Wallflower? Who's read the Perks of Being a Wallflower?

Who's done both?

First chat for this is on Weds.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've done both :angel:

It was a very well constructed adaptation. I hadn't realised when I nominated it how involved the author was in the film, perhaps that's a factor.
    I mostly chuffed by how quickly I could get past Hermione being in it.
    Maybe you could do a 'How I perceive a character in a book and how it's portrayed in film/TV' chat.

For example - I'm an Agatha Christie fan and the old 80's BBC series of Miss Marple, I think, has got her down to a T. An old, gossipy, forgetful, dithering but quite pleasant old lady with Victorian values who solves puzzles/crime with her unerring parallels of village life and her study of human nature. The Geraldine McEwan and woman off Fresh Fields Miss Marples are crap. They're too energetic, lively, young ! and dashing all over the place.

Where as David Suchet's Poirot is spot on, though they could of made him a bit more particular (Poirot has an abhorrence for anything unsymmetrical, dirty, dusty...) but the character of Miss Lemon (Poirot's secretary) is completely wrong. In the books she's described as a highly efficient machine who spends her free time fine tuning a filing system and has absolutely no imagination. But in the TV series she's portrayed very differently and often toddles off with Poirot to solve cases which she doesn't do in the books. I would imagine that's to add some more characters to the scenes etc and make them more appealing.

ITV do annoy me by throwing in Marple and Poirot into stories that they aren't in, in Christie's books, to make the show(s) more appealing. Which is a shame as the books that don't have them in are quite good stories in themselves.

Just an idea :)
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Maybe you could do a 'How I perceive a character in a book and how it's portrayed in film/TV' chat.

That is what we are doing...
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Adapatations special discussion is now open,

Who's watched the Perks of Being a Wallflower? Who's read the Perks of Being a Wallflower?

Who's done both?

First chat for this is on Weds.

I've done this! Enjoyed both, very much enjoyed the adaptation, more thn I thought I would actually.Well cast and got the same feeling I did from the book :)
    Picc and I thought that the adaptation was good because the author had so much input on the script. Did you think that there were any aspects in the book that were not in the film and it mattered?

Did you think the film or the book led you more to the conclusion? or that neither of them did?
    Just a reminder that this book is also Book Club's March title so don't forget to keep the discussion going!

I quite liked that the recipient of the letters stayed anonymous to the end.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Picc and I thought that the adaptation was good because the author had so much input on the script. Did you think that there were any aspects in the book that were not in the film and it mattered?

Did you think the film or the book led you more to the conclusion? or that neither of them did?

I agree with comment about Chobsky's input. I missed the abortion clinic scene in the movie and some of the literary references ( I loved all those throughout the book ). I think the book led me more towards the conclusion the Charlie in the film seemed stronger than the one in the book.
    Loved the actor who.played Patrick. He was perfect for the role. It stuck v closely to the book and the flashbacks were fitting for the memories between Charlie and his aunt. Emma Watson was great for the role of Sam. She didnt seem like the average 'manic pixie dream girl' that some writers/directors like to chuck in for the sake of inspiring the male protagonist. She was obviously a minor character in relation to Charlie but both hinted at complex pasts (charlie and his aunt- sam and her 'promiscuouz' reputation. And to top it off.. Great use of Bowie's Heroes.

Only crit of the film is I dont think we ever find out what books the teacher (paul rudd my hero) is giving Charlie to read. I remember reading the book for the first time and buying nearly all the books and songs mentioned. Itd be great if the film had the same effect to.its target audience.
    That is something I noticed too. But I wonder if it was cut, because I remember in the film Charlie start to line up the books and tapes on the shelf, but we don't see much of it after that... Maybe it would be in an extended version?
    Only crit of the film is I dont think we ever find out what books the teacher (paul rudd my hero) is giving Charlie to read. I remember reading the book for the first time and buying nearly all the books and songs mentioned. Itd be great if the film had the same effect to.its target audience.

:yes: and I totally agree with Girl Gunner on that, too, it was really hard to understand the emotional importance of Charlie gifting Sam and Patrick with those books without the context that this series of novels was shaping the way he viewed his own life.

I did think the book needed a huge SPOILER ALERT on the front page, though! Some of us haven't read Catcher in the Rye yet (and never finished the Great Gatsby, but I'm probably not going to, so that's no great loss!)

Has anyone else read Silver Linings Playbook? They're really similar in a lot of ways - and for what it's worth I much preferred Wallflower.