Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

rollercoaster relationship please help!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
my relationship is absolutely amazing a lot of the time, we both like doing the same things and have a lot of fun and both care about each other a lot, he is very thoughtful and loving.

But he has a lot of insecurity and self esteem issues, i feel controlled by him and hes asked me to cut contact with friends, banned me from smoking, gets angry when i go out with my friends or dont 'pay him enough attention' the last straw was i found out he had gone through my texts on my phone

I feel like i want to break up- but then things are very good sometimes so what if I regret it afterwards? I worry i have commitment issues and am looking for a reason to leave, but then i also think i have good reasons to be unhappy. Im just really confused and i need some advice if anyone could help..

thank youx

Comments

• Options
    I worry i have commitment issues and am looking for a reason to leave, but then i also think i have good reasons to be unhappy

I'd suggest that when he does the following:
    hes asked me to cut contact with friends, banned me from smoking, gets angry when i go out with my friends or dont 'pay him enough attention' the last straw was i found out he had gone through my texts on my phone

They are things you should not have to put up with in any way, shape or form.
  • Options
    I think you have very good reasons to leave, he sounds controlling and thats not what a relationship is.
  • Options
    Being insecure is not an excuse for controlling you. If he blames this behaviour on insecurity then he needs to get help. I'd say if you've already done all these things for him then if he truly cares for you he will try and sort his issues out with a professional. If he refuses then I'm afraid I feel like he's using it as an excuse for controlling behaviour and I'd get out of there.