Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Arrears

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, I keep getting letters about ''arrears'' and I always pay them off... I've always paid my rent on time as well.

It's actually quite confusing to why I keep getting these letters, I mean I now have £4 to last me til next week, as I've just paid another arrears off...

Why do I keep getting these letters? And why does the arrears keep increasing even though I'm paying them off?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Who are you getting the letters from? Are you paying off the arrears AND paying the current bill?
    I'm guessing it's the boss that runs this place...
    Yep, I've been paying rent and the arrears... It's so confusing, reading through the CAB advice on it, if I get evicted that's me fucked.

I don't see how I even have arrears if I've been paying the rent all the time?
    So it's rent arrears?

You need to look at your statements. When rent goes out, when rent is expected, how much rent is, how much you're sending and whether you've been paying double because of letters and payments crossing in the post.
    Guessing so.

I pay 10£ a week, and always have been on top of it. I'm going to talk to the staff on Monday about it, for sakes the person I like is in, but I don't see how I've missed payments.
    How do you usually pay?
    Cash
    Receipt?
    Yup!
    Excellent. Go there with ALL your receipts. Check the whole rent account with them. Clear it all up once and for all.
    Aye, won't be able to pay anything til the 29th anyway. They said the letters would stop last time, cos it was their fault that they never put a slip under my door... but they're not stopping -.-

Kinda not wanting to get evicted.
    Look at the receipts now. Put all the ones for arrears in one pile, and all the ones you paid on time in the other. Check how many overlap while you're at it.
    Well I *think* I have one arrears receipt, as I have 4 other ones, which would account for the 4 weeks I've been here...
    Ok, so you've missed one week? Or you've paid double? How many letters do you have demanding arrears be paid?
    I had two, but I don't know if when I gave her the money if she paid my rent with it or the arrears...
    Alright, then that's what you can clear up when you see them Monday.

They're unlikely to evict you if you pay your rent regularly and arrears promptly. Because making someone homeless is kind of a big deal. They might start fining you for late payments though.
    Seeing as this is homeless accommodation haha.

I'll see what I can sort out Monday! Thank you :)
    Hey there,
    Fiend_85's advice is great in this situation and is really helpful. Have you been to the see them yet and discussed the issue?
    As well as looking at the rent statement they give you, you might also want to create you own so you are really in control and know exactly how much the rent is and exactly what you have paid. Always keep receipts - but it seems like you've got that one covered.
    I would suggest something else. It may not apply in this situation but may be something to think about - do you receive Housing Benefit to cover your rent. If so, are you certain about what the shortfall is between your rent and your HB? If not, just call HB and ask them.

Finally, if the CAB letter does not make sense to you, then I suggest that you go back to them and tell them this. The whole point of that service is to get legal advice that you understand and if that doesn't always happen then they need to know and they should put it right.

Let us know how you get on.

:)
    I sorted it all out! (Bit of a late update)
    But it was their fault for not putting it in one of the books... which means I'm ahead of my rent which apparently is very rare lol

Thank you for all your help :)
    Brilliant, super chuffed for you, and it's great to be a bit head sometimes, if you can maintain that, it's a good buffer in case something goes wrong or an emergency crops up.
    Great news! :thumb:
    Tah lovelies :)