Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

personality disorder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So apparently I have a personality disorder (borderline)... I reeeaaally don't like being labelled with it, in fact it makes me intensly angry but of course if i vent my anger in any way shape or form they'll probably have me in hospital again...
i just need support/guidance/your stories etc please... i'm trying to accept it, but i hate it so much.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    you don't have to accept or agree with a diagnosis and you do have the right to disagree or ask for a second opinion.

this is what I wrote a few months ago in a similar thread, I thought it might help you too:

omg hi wrote: »
    try to remember that you are exactly the same person, with exactly the same difficulties, as you were before you were given the diagnosis. it doesn't change anything about you. it just (hopefully) means that more support is made available for you.

i have a shaky diagnosis of bpd amongst other things and i know a lot of others who do too, and i do recognise many 'borderline' traits in my thoughts and behaviour but equally i don't think that i am that way because of i have a certain label, i think i am that way because i am me. a lot of it depends on your view of psychiatry really. it is worth remembering that there is a lot of overlap between different conditions in terms of their diagnostic criteria, so a lot of the time people are given different diagnoses depending on the clinician they see. what i would say is that there are lots of really intense, overwhelming feelings that people who may fit the criteria for bpd have (i'm wording it like that because i think a lot of people meet the criteria for all kinds of psychiatric problems but that doesn't mean that they do or should have a diagnosis) and the key skills to master involve emotional regulation and self-soothing, to help you manage your emotions. things like crisis planning and distraction lists are useful if you experience a lot of suicidal urges. sometimes the feelings you have can seem completely logically irrational yet can be really painful, and that's why really basic things like self-care are important.

i remember when i first heard the phrase 'personality disorder' used about me i felt really upset and attacked, as if they were saying that my personality was faulty or broken. i think that's a natural thing to think but it doesn't mean anything like that, it's because the things you think and do are considered to be due to personality traits, hence the name. that doesn't mean that those things can't improve or change. lots of the things we do are down to things we have learned or experiences we have had, and are not pre-determined, so we can unlearn them and find different ways to cope. try not to let the diagnosis get you down too much because as i said at the start, you are still you, and the label is just the doctor's way of describing some of your symptoms.
    (((((hugs)))))
    you dont have to tell anyone that you dont want to. Its a name for a condition. Its not a label on your forehead.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Now that you have the diagnosis, better support will be offered around the issue. You don't have to class it as a label. Do you know some key facts about Borderline Personality Disorder? Have you been given any information about it? *hug*
    Its a name for a condition. Its not a label on your forehead.

This will probably be the most pertinent thing said in this thread.
    Nutter wrote: »
    So apparently I have a personality disorder (borderline)... I reeeaaally don't like being labelled with it, in fact it makes me intensly angry but of course if i vent my anger in any way shape or form they'll probably have me in hospital again...
    i just need support/guidance/your stories etc please... i'm trying to accept it, but i hate it so much.
    I don't know if this helps... I'm coming to terms with a diagnosis too (bipolar) and the label thing is shitty... But it's only there to serve the purpose as to what kind of treatments may help you manage and/or recover with some of your symptoms which are harder to deal with right now

Humans are a spectrum of behaviours and emotions and some of us may need more support than others at some times in our life. A psychiatrist giving a diagnosis is intended to help people - though we may face shitty reactions from people uninformed due to their own ignorance.

The way I feel about my own diagnosis (and I by no means use my own experiences as standard, nor do I wish to downply your own associations) is that you gotta know what beast you're up against before you choose a weapon.

By the way, like a lot of bipolar diagnosed people, we are questioned about having borderline too (something I fought, as I know I don't have those traits). As has been said, you can challenge it... Or of course you can explore it and see if it can be of some benefit to you.
    thanks for feedback guys, going to be starting therapy soon so will see what that is like, i'm not expecting it to be easy.
    it's just been difficult cause some people (professionals) seem to think that i make up 'psychotic' thoughts.. been some comments in notes about possible schizophrenia but now they don't believe the amount of confusion and pain in my head just because i did not appear to be 'agitated' in hospital, but i was and very very angry, but i was scared to be restrained and forcibly injected so i tried to appear 'normal'. not a happy bunny (easter pun intended- happy easter!)
    You can definately get psychotic thoughts / experiences with personalty disorders. I know I do.