Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Reaching out to friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm not sure whether this should go in Health or Relationships - mods feel free to move if this is the wrong place.
bascially im looking for any advices on reaching out to friends when you're having a mental health episode. i moved home about 5 weeks ago and i've fallen into a severe depressive episode since about 3 weeks now, i have regular support from my therapist and started on a short course of benzos 3 days ago so have that side of it covered. the problem is i need my friends but at the same time im too worried to tell them how i am because well, they will worry. my coping skills are unfortunately self-destructive.
so tips? any ways you have used in the past to just let people know you need a bit of love?
i just need someone to tell me its worth me being here.

Comments

• Options
    anyone?
  • Options
    Hi Girl_gunner :wave:

First off it is so worth you being here *hug*

I think it's always best to flip a situation, if you had a friend who was struggling, feeling as you've described and they didn't turn to you how would it make you feel? I know I'd be pretty hurt if my friends didn't feel they could turn to me, so please don't go it alone.

Can you arrange to meet up with one of your friends? Just say to them you're feeling really down and need a hug or something then maybe go into more detail face to face??

Dp :heart:
  • Options
    gg :heart::heart:

send them a text and just say that you're not feeling too well (i'm assuming that they are quite close friends and be able to read between the lines) and say what you need from them. just 'I was wondering if we could meet for coffee/ go to a movie/ if you could come round for a bit' or something like that. you don't need to go into much detail if you don't want to. if they are good friends of yours and you've disappeared for a few weeks then the chances are that they are worrying anyway and would rather know what's happening and try to help you. if I was the friend and you'd been poorly and not felt that you could tell me then I'd be sad that you hadn't, and I'd wish that I could have done something to help. on balance i'd rather worry than be in the dark and i'd rather you told me what you needed than struggled alone. just tell them, in whatever way you can.
  • Options
    Yeah, usually I just call up a mate and ask for company.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your replies....I think I was over-complicating this in my head.
    I haven't had such a good week but upped the anti-anxiety medication and feeling a little more level. I managed to reach out to a few people and that's helped a little. depression is such a fucker.