Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Support for Aspergers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:wave:

Next week is WAAD- World Autism Awareness day. I am going to a event in my area where they will be talking about alert cards and a speech will be given by someone who has knowledge on autism. I got wondering if anyone on here is doing anything for WAAD on 2nd April.
:chin:

I have Aspergers Syndrome and high levels of anxiety. I don't always see things like other people do. In fact I would tell the person that I have Aspergers so they can better understand me. I don't get any support for it though I had my diagnosis privately. Don't think the NHS will understand. I was told I had lots more difficulties to go with it. I'm on medication but its an anti depressant. 20mg at the moment. I still get panic attacks. Basic skills are a nuisance. I hate crowded places. :sour:

Though I think I'm good with words, want a career in journalism and love volunteering for YouthNet :yippe:

Your turn?*hug*

Comments

• AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I didn't know you could suffer from having Aspergers, but you can be effected by some of the traits in it, like anxiety.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Ooops wrong wording.
    I am semi-seeing a guy with Aspergers, and he told me the first time we met that he has it. I actually find it's really helped to know that as it helps me understand some of his actions.
    Thank you for your insights. I find all of the things you mention difficult. Do you get any help like
    Seeing a psychologist or anyone in the community to help you? People usually get upset sometimes I say the wrong things at the wrong time. Does any one find clothes, having a haircut difficult? I struggle a lot with this. Does anyone
    overcome this and if so what are your techniques?
    I can never know what to wear :/
    There's a book called Beyond the Wall by Stephen Shore, discussing his experiences as a person with autism. You might find it interesting to read as it's not only a story that you might identify with, but he gives some practical tips on how to employ mechanisms and strategies to deal with some of the things you find difficult.

The guy I'm seeing doesn't buy his own clothes, and has been saying for the past 3-4 months that he needs a haircut. So yes, i think he struggles. Not sure I can give you much more than that though!
    hmm, i didon't know about this

while i probably won't do anything for it myself, i'm pretty sure that on 1 of my other forums (psychcentral) they willl do something. like a special chat or something
    both of my sons have autism. I think its much easier to access support for children, but support for adults is severely lacking
    My brother has aspergers, as a kid he couldn't get enough help. Soon as he turned 18 that all stopped, there's hardly any help for adults with aspergers. With everyone fighting for jobs it makes it all the more difficult for him, not many employers want to hire someone with autism next to someone that doesn't. And I still think people are far from understanding, aspergers is kind of a hidden autism, it's not immediately obvious so people dismiss them as being weird or lacking in social skills. My brother was also on the receiving end of a rather vicious bullying campaign where some ex friends would leave messages on his voice mail calling him retarded and all sorts of other awful things.
    Sonia I totally love you for who you are. Just cos you have aspergers it doesn't make you any different not in my eyes. I also wanna add I dont have aspergers but I do have a learning disability that I struggle with but I have learnt new ways of coping. I do agree that getting support for most things as an adult is very limited.

Stay strong <3

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2