Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Eating Disorder related problems?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I was recently brushing my hair after I got out of the shower, and I noticed my hair was falling out in bits, My hairs changed from being smooth and straight. To being all over the place, dry and annoying. and after I brushed my hair a big chunk of my hair started to fall out. around 25cm long and a handful of it like its come out in a clunk.

I've noticed how since I relapsed quite badly with anorexia and bulimia my hair changed, could my hair falling out be related to any of these?. I know a common factor with Bulimia also is problems with teeth, since the relapse I have many daily problems with teeth and toothache.

am I ruining my body? rather than getting rid of unwanted calories?.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah, you probably are. Sorry, but to be healthy you need to eat properly. Hair loss due to eating disorders is a recognised symptom of poor nutrition.
    You see it in starving cats and dogs and it's the same for us unfortunately. Hair is made of keratin which is a protein. If you don't get enough protein then it will fall out and go brittle
    Hiya, not eating a heathly diet can have all sorts of problems for your body.

Hair falling out, greasy skin, spots, feeling tired, mood swings, bad breath and teeth.

Eating a healthly diet can have all sorts of great benifits for you body.

Your GP can help with eating disorders.

Hope you get things sorted soon. :-D
    I haven't registered at a GP yet, I have no idea where anything except Co-op is in this city...
    I was just going to post the same link Fiend!

Sorry to hear about your hair Em. It could be nutrition related, but hairloss can also be caused by stress and anxiety.

It's super overwhelming when you move to a new city. It can take a while for you to get your bearings and settle down. Getting registered with a GP was towards the top of the list for things to do when I moved down to London (although it took me about a month to get my arse in gear and do it...) It isn't too difficult though, the link fiend posted lets you search for surgeries near you.

In the mean time if you're worried about your eating, I found this transcript from a live chat with Zoe talking about nutrition really useful http://www.thesite.org/community/thesocial/chat/archive/NutritionwithZoe
    There's some good practical tips and advice about food, it also reminded me that your body needs food to function!

Do you think it's related to your nutrition? You've also been through a lot recently, big changes and things can be really stressful.

A GP would be able to talk to you about all of these things, so I just wanted to reassure you that it isn't difficult to register once you've found your local practice.

Big hugs,
    Take care *hug*