Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The next Doctor

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Devastatingly, there's news that Matt Smith might be leaving Doctor Who. Not surprising, he's done some amazing work but even David Tennant started to lose his sparkle towards the end (though I blamed the scripts for that!).

Independent: Who will be the next Doctor Who?

I would love to see a black Doctor, or a female one. Not for tokenism, but for the story. Remember how hard it was for Martha Jones in 1913? I'd really like to see the Doctor facing challenges without having the immediate authority of being a white man. It might not impact on the stories set in the future or on an alien world, but it would screw over the historical adventures in an interesting way, and have an impact on how the Doctor sees the world.

I also agree that a relative unknown would be good. I love the idea of Harry Lloyd, who is brilliant, but I think they've just done "zany and quirky" and won't want to go there again. If the producers were to resurrect an old cameo, my vote would be for Sophie Okonedo (who's amazing in Neverwhere on Radio 4 at the moment), aka. Liz X:

lizten.png

Orrrr I also really liked the idea floated pre-Matt-Smith of Patterson Joseph (Peep Show, Green Wing, appeared in Bad Wolf and Parting of the Ways way back with the Ninth Doctor).
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i heard this on the news only yesterday.

from what i've heard though, nothing's been set in stone- i think he's thinking about leaving after the christmas special

i'd like to see a doctor who i've heard of.. matt smith and david tenant- both good doctors, but before their roll as doctor who i had no idea who they were
    lady emily wrote: »
    i'd like to see a doctor who i've heard of.. matt smith and david tenant- both good doctors, but before their roll as doctor who i had no idea who they were

I don't. I think that The Doctor needs to be The Doctor, and not "omg it's that guy who played..." Or even "omg it's that really well known actor". I has to be a talented actor, that no-one knows. Except weirdo hipsters.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    I would love to see a black Doctor, or a female one.
    So would I, mainly to break preconceptions. But only if the "Doctor" part remained the most (or only) important part of the character, and not the "black/female" part, and I'm not sure we can trust scriptwriters to keep it that way.
    So would I, mainly to break preconceptions. But only if the "Doctor" part remained the most (or only) important part of the character, and not the "black/female" part, and I'm not sure we can trust scriptwriters to keep it that way.

I think we can. As I say, it would only be an issue in certain settings.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think we can. As I say, it would only be an issue in certain settings.
    You mean should. The screenwriters could make it an issue in every setting if they wanted to.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I don't. I think that The Doctor needs to be The Doctor, and not "omg it's
    ... that vet. Yes, I'm looking at you in your cricket gear.
    I don't. I think that The Doctor needs to be The Doctor, and not "omg it's that guy who played..." Or even "omg it's that really well known actor". I has to be a talented actor, that no-one knows. Except weirdo hipsters.

i see what you're getting at, and i actually think their's a 2 sided argument to this

it can be really good having unknown doctors.. i mean, everyone has to start somewhere, right?. so why not just make your first ever claim to fame being the doctor in doctor who

but then on the other hand, (and this is just me) if i watched a show, and series after series they got someone i'd never even heard of before to play the lead role, i'd be like.... um, okay, why do i even want to watch this to begin with?. all you're doing is getting people that no one knows, taking them from what ever they did before (which may have been a small acting roll) in something we never heard of, and place you in to the lead role of 1 of bbc's biggest shows

i don't really see anything in that that jumps out and me and says, yeah... i'll watch that just because i don't know the lead guy
    You watch it, because it's Doctor Who, and because every fucking time they've done it, it's worked and been amazing. I frankly, rarely watch something because of who's in it, but because of what it is.

Lena Headey for example, is amazing, but I sure as hell didn't watch Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles because she was in it, I'm not going to watch Game of Thrones just because she's in it. I am currently watching Broadchurch, it's got actors I like in it, but if it were shit I would stop. Same for Heading Out, same for Sherlock, same for Green Wing, same for every show ever.

People who watch a show because of who's in it, need to think a little harder about why they watch tele, maybe start looking at who's writing and who's producing and who's directing.
    I had a chat about this a while ago with a friend of mine, and one of the names we bandied about for the next doctor, was Mr Adrian Lester.
    adrian-lester_1530895c.jpg
    You watch it, because it's Doctor Who, and because every fucking time they've done it, it's worked and been amazing. I frankly, rarely watch something because of who's in it, but because of what it is.

Lena Headey for example, is amazing, but I sure as hell didn't watch Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles because she was in it, I'm not going to watch Game of Thrones just because she's in it. I am currently watching Broadchurch, it's got actors I like in it, but if it were shit I would stop. Same for Heading Out, same for Sherlock, same for Green Wing, same for every show ever.

People who watch a show because of who's in it, need to think a little harder about why they watch tele, maybe start looking at who's writing and who's producing and who's directing.

broadchurch is amazing, i just had to say that

i watch it every week- in fact i'm always so anxious about missing it, that i usually tune in to the last 10 minits or so of corination street (i don't watch corie)