Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Dryness/itching after period and mooncup?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For the past few months I've been getting very dry and itchy and therefore sore down there for about a week after my period, it starts pretty much as soon as my period has ended and makes life hell for the week that follows to the point I get so sore I feel like I'm covered in loads of tiny papercuts.. I've done some reading and it seems to be due to pads and tampons drying you out so to speak and upsetting the balance. I've also read that switching to cups helps. I was given some disposable menstrual cup samples when out and about and gave them a try and quite liked them, but they were huge and not very easy to insert. I've been looking at getting a mooncup for ages (it's much smaller than the sample disposable one I had) so I think it's time to bite the bullet and get one. Just wondered if anyone else has suffered with this and how you dealt with it, and also any mooncup experiences.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have u tryed speaken to the doctor that might get u some answers
    RE: itchy after the blob, I get a bit of nappy rash, I use only pads and find that a bit of sudocrem clears it up after a day or so.

RE: Mooncups I've heard a bit from both sides of the comfort line.

One that got the bloody thing stuck for 3 days and had a lot of trouble getting it out. One that uses it completely happily every fucking month no issues at all.

It's probably primarily to do with the shape and size of your chuff and how comfortable you are getting your hands dirty. A mooncup isn't the tidiest, especially because it needs cleaning each time you use it and that's not a public toilet activity to my mind.

Further questions, do you use ONLY tampons or ONLY pads or a mix? What do you clean your chuff with?
    I get this, it's awful! I haven't got any experience with mooncups but iv found what does help is towards the end of my period when it's quite light I use those always silk ones, can't quite remember what they're called, iv done that for the last few times and fingers crossed its worked so far (I only use pads)

I agree with fiend too sudocrem works wonders and though it sounds weird Vaseline can be good for a bit of a protective barrier.
    Do you use tampons right until the end? Towards the end of my period it gets very light and just dischargy so I just use pads/liners not tampons, maybe you're just using tampons where it's not really necessary?
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Do you use tampons right until the end? Towards the end of my period it gets very light and just dischargy so I just use pads/liners not tampons, maybe you're just using tampons where it's not really necessary?

That was my initial thought but I've started using a mix, usually tampons in the day for the first 2/3 days and pads at night, then switching to pads/liners for the last 2 days with no tampons at all and it doesn't seem to make much difference. I just rinse down there with water at the end of my shower. It's not as bad after a shower but starts again a few hours later.
    What do you wash with?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    What do you wash with?

Just water, I'm dubious about using feminine hygiene products
    mooncups are great. Its worth giving it a try
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Just water, I'm dubious about using feminine hygiene products

I wanted to check. Soap can cause some of the imbalances, and it's usual to wash more often there while Aunt Irma is visiting. I personally use femfresh periodically (lol pun), so I can I freshen up my lady garden.
    I get this really badly... I often have my period for months at a time (lucky me, thanks implant!) and it gets really painful. Sudo-crem is great, and also make sure you get some air down there when your periods gone.. sleep with your knickers off for a day or two, it does help. I think material constantly rubbing on it can make it worse.
    A lunette is like a mooncup but its latex free (I think) and I found it to be really good. The other thing I tried was unbleached cotton reusable and disposable pads - naturcare I think is one make that you can get from wholefood shops.
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I freshen up my lady garden.

I now have an image of you, in the shower, with gardening gloves and secateurs and the occasional remark to a clematis !

The woman I used to work for had this trouble, she used vagisil (sp) when using her tampons (on the tampon) and a little after a wash. On a side note, Fiendy's comment about soap is true, can dry the skin out, but so can just water. When I have a shower/bath even without soap I itch like fuck on my chest, arms and legs. I get a cream called Diprobase which you can get from the chemist as it's not a scrip item or try aqueas cream (similar) just to make a barrier and remoisturise
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    When I have a shower/bath even without soap I itch like fuck on my chest, arms and legs.

In the bath try adding a few drops of baby oil, it might help :)
    In the bath try adding a few drops of baby oil, it might help :)

I'm ethically against baby oil.

Olives >> olive oil
    Peanuts >> peanut oil
    Babies >> cruelty !
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    I'm ethically against baby oil.

Olives >> olive oil
    Peanuts >> peanut oil
    Babies >> cruelty !

:lol:
    Lavender oil might be better
    I love my mooncup and don't particularly find it messy! so much nicer than towels!
    Yeah, I like mooncups too. I always forgot to take tampons out at night which isn't good for you. It was a bit difficult to find out how to take a mooncup out the first few times but then I got it sorted.
    It's been worse than ever this week, I'm considering going to the doctors and asking to be put back on the mini pill because it gets rid of my periods completely.