Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Having no I.D?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So yeah, I've got an appointment on tuesday with HSPCC to set up a bank account with them as I'd like to change from yorkshire banking to hull, they said I need proof of I.D but the thing is as I'm 18 now i can't use a birth certificate and also my birth certificate doesn't have my correct last name on it so it's no use anyways.

I don't have a passport nor can I afford one, and I have nothing else either...Sometimes I feel like I don't exist

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Medical card? Utility bill? Tenancy agreement? Might be worth applying for a provisional drivers licence if you can afford that.
    I don't have any of that...as I've only been in this house..like..2 days? or..so, the bank also said they won't accept a provisional
    Old bank statements? Or if you do it online could you print one out?
    If you have your birth certificate and proof of a name change that should be fine. I'm 27 and still use my birth certificate as proof of ID.
    I've always used birth certificate too, and I always have my rail card, cos even though it's not I.D, it has my manky face and name on it :P

If you have old letters, it would be worth you've only just moved, or, change banks when you've got I.D or proof of address...
    I just hope your not like me, who had to have an amendment to my birth cert 6 months after I was registered because my parents couldn't decide on the spelling of my first name so I was just registered as
    surname :/
    My friend asked about birth certificate and proof of name change..and the woman said "you're now 18 so we can only accept photographic I.D"

I have loads of letters with my OLD address on which..they won't accept neither
    I think you're best off just going in to the bank with all the stuff you do have. It's pointless to speculate based on what your friend says some woman said.
    The woman worked at the bank...
    Yes, I read that. It's still best for you to go in yourself, and talk directly to the relevant people. The bank must have procedures in place for people without Passports and Drivers licences, go in and find out what they are.
    I did go in. which is when she told me all that nonsense...she said I'd need to apply for one and she could suspend my application
    Why don't you wait until you have I.D in place? Or change your address at your current bank, print that off and that's prrof of address.... and ask if you can have a copy of your income support letter (supposedly you've changed your address with them too) and then you have more I.D....
    Hi there,

I understand your dilemma completely. Your query was about not having photo ID.

Most banks have lists for accepted ID documents to open a new bank account. Have you seen this list for the bank you want to open an account with? It might be on their website if not.

Most banks say they need photo ID but then have a second list of ID they would accept instead; e.g. letter from benefits agency or a utility bill. It would be helpful if you could find this list or ask the bank for it as it will be much clearer about what you need to provide.

You don't have to have photo ID to open a bank account but it is correct that some banks won't accept birth certificates as proof of ID for over 18s.

Like others have suggested, maybe wait until you get a couple pieces of ID with your current address and then go back to the bank.

Hope this helps.

:)
    I have a letter from Income support now and a letter from the college I applied to..BOOM proof of I.D