Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I want to end this debate: 2:1 OR a first? Does it matter? (bioscience)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi,

I want to end this debate that keeps me up at night :shocking:

Currently, I am studying a Molecular biology degree at Hertfordshire University. Not the best uni in the world. I got in through clearing and have been aiming for a 1:1 ever since. In my first year I got a first class mark. Now, that I'm in second year I found the work stepped up a notch and my marks have dropped no lower than a 2:1. I have been applying for work placements and have actually been rejected even though I did well in my first year.:crazyeyes

What I want to know is... what do employers look for in a science graduate? I reckon it is work experience and have been trying to secure some. So does getting a 1:1 not matter? If so I would rather know now and not waste my time worrying x1000000 a day about how I'm going to struggle getting a first.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Just as a sidenote, I am thinking of continuing to post grad studies, but I don't know whether to do a Msc or Phd
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    In my experience (graduated a few years back with a similar degree to you) a 1st or 2.1 degree are useful if you want to continue to study at uni after graduating. If you want to go into the world of work it is less important. I got a 2.2 and went straight into a lab job with a private company.
    I got the impression that if continuing studying at uni is your goal, grades are very important
    . However if going out to work, then grades aren't so crucial and other experiences (not eve necessarily work experience- things like, did you join any clubs? are you good at working as a team and equally alone etc etc)and personality are just as important to employers.
    I also wouldn't worry until you have seen what third year is like as that is imprtant for grades more than first and second year in my opinion.

Hope this helps
  • Options
    No one in my year got a 1st, and so many of then have gone onto get jobs in the related industry. A lot of people have said to me that a 2:1 shows you still have ambition.
  • Options
    What about in regards to post grad?
  • Options
    Same - depends on the institution but most post grad courses also look at your extra curricular stuff as well. A good balance is probably best
  • Options
    When I graduated with a 2:1 biology degree I spent a year looking for work and never got anywhere, and it was the people with 2:2's and 3rds that had the immediate success at finding jobs. As time's gone by more people are working in the industry and I went on to do a masters which I'm half way through. Grades don't seem to be so important when it comes to jobs, it's other experience. However when you're fresh out of full time education how they expect you to have experience is beyond me. A lot of it is to do with who you know too
  • Options
    aim for the highest you can. If youre capable of a first, do everything you can to get it and if you get a 2:1, then thats still amazing.
  • Options
    Hi Pensive
    I thought you might like to read this article on TheSite about different grade stereotypes and how to overcome them.
    Spanner