Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

New house!

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Now that's an idea :p
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Freecycle is something I'm really hot on, but its ferociously competitive around here. Things go in seconds!

B&M <- I LOVE THAT SHOP. They have like everything, and they have really homely things in, if you have one around by you!
    Don't have one I those around here :( we seem to have lot of posh stuff but nothing affordable!
    oh nooo :( i'll have to bring one down to you lol
    Went had a another look, they've removed the thick nets and I could see the front room and see the stairs better. It's all got wooden floor boards! So if they can be clean and varnished that fine!

I'm going to have to see if there anyway that I can get the 7 20 foot leylandii in the garden!!!
    I'm happy for you Miss Riot! :yippe:

Glad that you've found a place and hopefully you'll be settled in in no time.

I understand that you must be going through a mixture of emotions right now - it's exciting but scary at the same time to be moving into somewhere new. However, try not to let it get the better of you - this is certainly a positive step forward and try to keep focused on that.

If there are any issues then talk them through with someone (social worker or friends) and of course post on here!

Good luck with the move! :d
    Ha! Social worker! I should be so lucky!

We've managed to get a carpet on freecycle, so we just need to get someone to fit it this week. I'm having to pack and I've been lifting more than I can carry which is giving me more pain. The only reason i'm doing it because we don't have anyone else to help.

We've managed to get a carpet on freecycle
    :yippe:
    Still need a cooker though, so I'm badgering my support worker to put a word in with a local charity
    The house is fantastic! It need a lot of work - fully redecorating (if anyone fancies giving me a hand :p). But it's got loads of original features, nice big garden (and the neighbour wants the trees down too so we can probably wangle that one), decent enough kitchen, a downstairs loo, the walk in shower is ok. Need someone to fit the carpets and the bathroom and kitchen need new flooring but its not half bad! :D
    So happy for you :)
    Got almost a the stuff there today - still have bed bases and maybe a car load of boxes. I'm going to have to get a man & van now - we had some volunteers from a local skill sharing charity help today. All very stressful right, but come next week it should calm down. Hopefully!
    The carpet we got is actually in such a poor state of repair that the carpet fitter wouldn't fit it. I don't have the money to spend on more carpets, the money the council has given me to repaint the house isn't going to cover actually getting it up to scratch because I'm going to have to pay someone to come in and do it for me and its been left in such a shit state (wallpaper coming off the walls and stuff). I've got my ex on my back because he wants money off me because I've kept the kinect for the Xbox.

I'm in a crappy state. I ahve no idea what to do.
    Tell your ex he's not getting any money for the kinect, end of. Relationships break up, you don't sit down with an accountant and go over who paid for what meal when over the last x years. In a relationship its give and take. When its over, you divide your shit, and then you go your separate ways.

He's let you keep you the kinect, he can't turn around afterwards and demand money for it as well. After that, honestly just don't contact him in my heartfelt opinion, it just causes more grief and pain for both of you.

As for carpet, really sorry to hear about it. Could you consider getting a carpet fitted on finance? Or getting it on a credit card? Big-ticket expenses like carpets, furniture etc. are all perfect for credit because its a big one off expense. Obviously nobody wants to borrow money, but as some like to say, there's good borrowing and bad borrowing. Say you buy £300 of decent carpet (you may even get it cheaper Idk) and pay it off over 12 months, is £25 a month worse than living in a house with raw floorboards? After a year paying them off at a very affordable rate, those carpets may last you 15 years or more :)

But remember as well, that all said and done you have a gorgeous house in a lovely area now :) it's all going to be ok. Moving is always stressful and council houses are no easier because you don't have money bleeding out your ears for one and for two there is always a lot of tidying up to do. Acknowledge its a big task, but its not forever - you have gone the distance now and got your own place, this is home straight which you just need to take one step at a time until you get there.
    I can get carpets for about £200 fitted - but I can't do it on credit because the place I get carpets from deals in cash only. I have an utterly shite credit rating so I've no idea if i'd get a credit card.
    He has to remember that his half might have been £25 back then, but it would be significantly less now to allow for depreciation.

Sent from my whyayePad using Tapatalk
    I can get carpets for about £200 fitted - but I can't do it on credit because the place I get carpets from deals in cash only. I have an utterly shite credit rating so I've no idea if i'd get a credit card.

Your bank should give you a credit card without too many questions, the rate will probably be shit on it though - expect 15% - 20%.

Moneysavingexpert.com indicates there's a nice 6.9% sainsburies one though: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards maybe look into it? For context though, if you got that sainsburies card you could pay it off at £25 a month and after 8 months you would have paid it off in full, for the grand cost of £205.

Obviously I'm not a financial advisor etc. etc. - but really I think its a price worth paying for actually having carpets.

The other option you could look into would be a crisis loan. https://www.gov.uk/crisis-loans/overview
    I have already tried and the bank won't give me one because I don't earn enough.

Plus I an already having overpaid benefit being taken from my benefit so I can't afford to get a crisis loan.
    It might also be a good idea to remember that moving house is a stressful experience for everyone, and no house is anything like perfect when your first move in.

Yes, carpets would be nice - but I'm still struggling to see them as an absolute essential. Is putting up with floorboards for the time being and getting carpets further down the line an option?
    Plus I an already having overpaid benefit being taken from my benefit so I can't afford to get a crisis loan.

Why were you overpaid ? If it was there mistake they have no right to take it back. They can ask you for it, but they cannot deduct it from your benefits or send you threatening letters, the high court said so :)
    I informed them that i moved and the didn't stop the HB in time. Twice!!

If you can find me any points of law/ judgments on that please send them my way!

Good news though! The guy I went to buy stair carpet from (used the last of my money) has taken pity on me and is donating some of his unsold stock to carpet the house! The council is also upping my decoration grant because I'm going to have to pay someone to do it for me, and they are going to replaster the front room because the plaster work has huge holes in it. So things are looking up!!
    Ah. Now i'm not 100% sure about this, but i remember mentioning to Leigh about overpayment of benefits where the client has't lied, misrepresented themselves etc and was a mistake, but he says councils can get HB back. He works on a rent team claiming back arrears, overpayments etc so i'll ask him when he gets back from work about it.
    Arctic Roll would be a good man to ask about this too, he tends to have the knowledge.
    One step forward 2 steps back!

The living room is going to be replastered after removing the wallpaper showed that there was no plaster underneath. The downstairs loo has to be replaced - both the pan and the cistern are cracked and that's what's causing the leak. Plus that also need to be replastered as we found out that its covered in polystyrene tiles (which are a huge fire risk), and again there's nothing behind them but bare brick. But on the upside I have a cooker which I can actually use! Yay!!
    Edit - I have a cooker, which is yet to be delivered or fitted :( middle of next week now? :(

I cannot decide on colours! I have ideas for the kitchen and the bathroom but I don't know where to start with the living room and bedroom - they are both fairly large east facing rooms (so light in the morning but not so much after 12). Interior decoration is so much easier to do for someone else!
    You can easily survive without a cooker for a couple of weeks if you've got a kettle and a microwave - which I remember rightly you said you did.

Living room wise - you can't go too far wrong with light and plain.

I cannot decide on colours! I have ideas for the kitchen and the bathroom but I don't know where to start with the living room and bedroom - they are both fairly large east facing rooms (so light in the morning but not so much after 12). Interior decoration is so much easier to do for someone else!
    I like neutral light colours, it makes the room seem bigger. Then I add more statement colours with accessories that can be changed when I get bored. I do art work so I regularly change the paintings on my walls. Currently got a big collage that I made of buttons on my lounge wall which gets loads of compliments. I also have a large glass vase full of yarn and a couple of sweet-shop style jars full of buttons. I did have a vase of knitting needles too but they got put away in a change around. And candles. Is the lighting in your flat good? If it isn't you could get some lamps to up the light level. I have to have the lights on most of the time in my flat as it doesn't get that light.
    All the rooms of the house are fairly big, so i don't want to make it seem too - uncozy if such a word exists. The lighting of an evening is crap in the living room, it's ok in the bedroom but it needs to be changed in the kitchen because fluorescent lighting gives me headaches. The kitchen will either be light green or orangey yellow, and the bathroom will be either white with one wall either blue or red. I'm thinking of painting the wood work in the living room maybe rather than the walls - but I'd have to put a picture rail back up. There's lovely original panelled doors upstairs, I'd love to get matching ones downstairs but that will probably cost me a pretty penny unless I find some at a reclamation yard.