Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

my godfather's very ill

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    unkind of me to make one of them do it alone.
    I'm going to go to bed at about 10 and if I can't sleep I'll call the Samaritans again, because my friends are being shit about the whole thing. I called my best friend the other night and he told me to go away because he was too tired.
  • Options
    I'm really desperate. I can't sleep, and I've run out of tramadol. I really want to hurt myself which makes me feel so guilty cos this whole thing's about someone whose body's stopped working and now I want to fuck mine up. I tried samaritans but I don't want to talk about it, I want to pretend it all isn't there.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I'm really desperate. I can't sleep, and I've run out of tramadol. I really want to hurt myself which makes me feel so guilty cos this whole thing's about someone whose body's stopped working and now I want to fuck mine up. I tried samaritans but I don't want to talk about it, I want to pretend it all isn't there.

:heart: how are you this morning?
  • Options
    He died last night. I don't know how I'm feeling so I'm ignoring that at the moment. I'll think about how sad I am and how much it hurts when I think I can cope with it.

My employer texted me today asking when I can return to France. I don't want to think about that either but I have to. I don't want to be so far away from home and the people I love, but the funeral might not be for another week or more, though if I were in France I'd definitely return for that.
  • Options
    (character limit) Mum told me that worse things will happen and I need to get on with it and go back to work. I just want to hide from it all.
  • Options
    Hi grace,

It's natural to not know how you feel straight away when someone passes away. It's also natural for different people to have different reactions. It sounds like your Mum's approach would be to keep busy and get back to work asap but if you feel you need some more time then try to be honest with yourself about that.

Perhaps you could say to your employer that you should find out in the next few days when the funeral will be and then you can make a decision?

It's really positive that you've been talking to the Samaritans and it sounds like your sister was a good person to chat to for distraction as well as comfort.

Big hugs *hug*
  • Options
    Thanks Jo - my mum's a big believer in getting on with things whatever happens, she's the complete opposite to me.

I'm really not sad at all at the moment, which is kind of worrying me because I should be. I can't sleep though.

My godmother said she wanted me to be here, so I told my employer I wouldn't be back before sunday. I think I'm going to lose my job and flat, but I don't really care. It's more important that I be with her if she needs me, I can get another job but I can't get another family
  • Options
    My godmother said she wanted me to be here, so I told my employer I wouldn't be back before sunday. I think I'm going to lose my job and flat, but I don't really care. It's more important that I be with her if she needs me, I can get another job but I can't get another family

A very good call, well done.

Grief takes many different forms and at its most profound can feel nothing like sadness at all. That doesn't mean you're heartless, or unaffected. This factsheet from Cruse is really good for the basics on how grief affects people. If Cruse exist in your area, you might find a phone call or face-to-face appointment helpful, too.
  • Options
    Really sorry to hear your news *hug*
    I'm really not sad at all at the moment, which is kind of worrying me because I should be. I can't sleep though.

Just on this point - It's ok not to be sad...sometimes other feelings and emotions happen first. In my experience, I'm more sad now about my Dad's death than I was when it first happened a year ago.

I'm glad you're with your family for the time being...*hug*
  • Options
    I think the first reaction we get to anything like this is a shock and numbness type of reaction, so it's not surprising that you don't actively feel sad, even though the being unable to sleep bit is probably a sign that you are sad and stressed.

Keep posting - you've got a good base of peers on here who will have some understanding of what this is like.
  • Options
    grace, i'm really sorry to hear your news *hug*
  • Options
    It's his funeral tomorrow. I've been coping with the whole thing by just not thinking about him at all, but I'm going to have to think tomorrow, and it's going to be awful. I'm reading too, which I don't think is going to go well. When I read at grandad's funeral I started laughing half way through (I don't know why) and everyone was horrified.
  • Options
    Good luck tomorrow Grace
    Funerals are never easy but they are kind-of necessary. It's such a cliche, but they do give you that opportunity to say goodbye, but also for the whole thing to sink in.

Often, when people have been ill we are so wrapped up in that that we don't have time to properly realise what's happening - our brains go into coping mode.
    Then, there's that limbo stage in-between the person dying and the funeral when everyone is busy making arrangements and pushing their grief to the back of their minds.

Sometimes the funeral can be a bit of a relief as you're finally allowed to address your feelings. Just try to go with however you're feeling. There are no rules to grief - everyone does it differently and you have to do what's right for you.

As for the reading, try to do it for your godfather, no one else. Rehearse out loud on your own first and take deep breaths before you start. You can do it! Oh, and laughing is a very common reaction to death. It's because our minds don't know how to process such bad information (or situations) so they panic and do something inappropriate. Most people have laughed at really bad news at least once in their lives, so try not to dwell on that too much.
    *hug*
  • Options
    Hi Grace
    Just wanted to see how you're doing? How did the funeral go and was your reading ok?
    Hope you're ok
    *hug*
  • Options
    Hello. The funeral was good, as far as a funeral can be. There was lots of music and noise so it was an appropriate send off for him. The reading went ok, I didn't laugh or cry and managed to keep calm. I was a bit pissed off with how the vicar portrayed him though - he kept going on about how godly and religious he was, but he never mentioned god to me once apart from telling me pope jokes and stuff (and I'm his goddaughter.) It kind of felt like he was talking about someone that didn't really exist. Or
  • Options
    maybe this god-fanatic existed for the vicar but for nobody else. But you can't start an argument with a vicar at a funeral, so nobody mentioned it to him.

It's only hit me within the last few days just how dead he is. I want to badly to ask him advice about what I'm doing with my life, because he's the only person that's always listened to me properly. But I can't, because he's dead.