Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

landlord uninvited viewing?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,
Please help... where do I stand legally?
My tenancy is near its end and I already have another property I'm renting, there is a bit of an overlap cos I just wanted to be secure, my old landlord is asking to do viewings this week but I have agreed 12 hour shifts every day at work. She said she will just go there even if I'm not there and I said she can't because my stuff still there and I got 2 to 3 weeks left on my tenancy.

I don't want someone there as they can nick my stuff or smash a hole in the wall and then keep my deposit.

Please advise if she has a right to enter uninvited or how best I can respond to her, I said she has to wait to next week.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    As far as i can remember, if the lanlord/agent gives you at least 24 hours notice in writing they have a right to enter and inspect/allow viewings if selling the property. Wether you're there or not is up to you.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    As far as i can remember, if the lanlord/agent gives you at least 24 hours notice in writing they have a right to enter and inspect/allow viewings if selling the property. Wether you're there or not is up to you.

This. I'm rarely in when my landlord does viewings for next year but I always know beforehand so I can do a quick tidy. They only look for a minute or two anyway
    Thanks for the fast replies.
    The lady is just rude and I don't want here there, she almost made my next move fall through because she never replied to the reference. Kept making excuses all the time and then said her system is down (landlord just needed a email?)

Finally my new landlord research on the net and said he could see their a mickey mouse one man band type agency and he was also annoyed at them not responding and making excuse, fotunatly he said don't worry as everything else checked out.

After being messed around I feel unhappy she want favours from me..

Anyway rant over as that is neither here nor there.
    Thanks for your answers... :thumb:
    Tbh I don't think she's being rude by wanting to do viewings. How else are they going to fill the place when you leave? Anyway you're moving out soon - I don't think it's worth worrying about. It's just viewings
    She is rude, wanting to do a viewing does not make her rude I was just Included the fact she is rude in the message, I felt it was relevant because if I trusted her somewhat then I would not have a problem with her going unaccompanied but if the person is rude, manipulative, snidy, smile to your face and intentionally makr things difficult then I am less likely to want a shady character in my flat if I am not there.

, she is just a rude awkward person in general and like I say she kept making all different excuses previously as to why she could not provide a reference and even my new landlord said how bad they are.

If I have a choice I would block her but from reading the posts here don't think I do have that option?
    That's a shame but unfortunately it's not unusual. And I don't think you can unless you have very good reason - not liking someone because they are rude isn't really a valid reason. Anyway like I said you won't have to deal with them much longer, just grin and bear it
    Agree with what everyone else has said - as you're being given notice of when your landlord will be entering the property, I don't think there's much you can do. If you're really worried about things being damaged/stolen, maybe take photos (with the time and date on) of your stuff. That way you'll have proof should something happen. I think you're probably worrying needlessly, though.
    By any chance did you do a document when you moved in of the furniture/an inventory and what condition things were in? If so then you'll have proof that it wasnt you if any mysterious holes appear anywhere.

Or is there somebody who could be there in your place while you're at work?
    I don't have no one who can be there and I do doubt something bad will happen but I didn't Wang to take a chance. Yes I did a inventory originally.

Thanks for advice ill grin and bear it :D
    Take some photos, pref with a date stamp on them.
    p.s. just a thought, obviously dont tell her you'll be doing this stuff and taking photos etc, she'll think you dont trust her and also stops her doing anything sneaky
    Like the others have said, there's nothing you can o to stop the landlord doing viewings if they are giving you sufficient notice.

It's perfectly normal not to be in though.

It's also not in thei interest to damage anything, because that will look bad for the viewing, so try not to wind yourself up.
    Thanks for the replies people.

I have another question now though, the lady who I mentioned before is now saying I have to pay 35 pound handback fees for giving her the keys back, is that legal?
    She also told my new landlord that I owed her money and was a late payer which was a lie and all my bank statements prove it...
    Is the £35 fee in your tennancy agreement?
    Thanks G-Raffe.
    no it is not I had a look, also I made a mistake they called it checkout fees not handback.
    thanks