Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Climate Awareness Week

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys! :wave:

So, who's heard about Climate Awareness Week? Here's the link to their site: http://www.climateweek.com/

"Climate Week is a supercharged national occasion that offers an annual renewal of our ambition and confidence to combat climate change. It is for everyone wanting to do their bit to protect our planet and create a secure future"

So, initially what we want to know is what do you do to help care for the environment? Have you got those green fingers? Do you recycle? Ride/Walk instead of driving places? Whatever small thing you do let us know!

I personally walk everywhere and use energy saving lightbulbs. I used to recycle when I was living with my parents, but seeing as there's not a recycle bin anywhere near, I don't do that now. Although I reuse toilet roll things and pretend to be a pirate, ahoy m'hartys!

Do you think climate change is real? Also, do you think now and in years to come that it would affect our generation?

I believe climate change is real, but I don't see how it's affecting our generation. I mean obviously there's the sea levels rising, I think ''poor polar bears'', and nothing about people. What's your take?

What ever your thoughts are on this, we'd like to know.

Comments

• Options
    I think climate change is caused by the sun. One significant volcanic eruption releases more carbon emissions than mankind's total industrial output over 200 years so I don't buy man-made climate change theories.

I reckoned David de Rothschild would have his hands all over this and sure enough, a quick google search confirms he's on the judging panel...that should tell you all you need to know about "Climate Awareness Week". You're being played for a fool, as is anyone naive enough to believe there isn't an ulterior agenda behind this sort of bullshit.
  • Options
    Hey guys! :wave:

So, who's heard about Climate Awareness Week? Here's the link to their site: http://www.climateweek.com/

So, initially what we want to know is what do you do to help care for the environment? Have you got those green fingers? Do you recycle? Ride/Walk instead of driving places? Whatever small thing you do let us know!

I personally walk everywhere and use energy saving lightbulbs. I used to recycle when I was living with my parents, but seeing as there's not a recycle bin anywhere near, I don't do that now. Although I reuse toilet roll things and pretend to be a pirate, ahoy m'hartys!

Do you think climate change is real? Also, do you think now and in years to come that it would affect our generation?

I believe climate change is real, but I don't see how it's affecting our generation. I mean obviously there's the sea levels rising, I think ''poor polar bears'', and nothing about people. What's your take?

What ever your thoughts are on this, we'd like to know.
    From what I've read, documentaries I've watched and lectures I've seen I do believe in anthropogenic (man made) contributions to climate change.

Recycling I was brought up with and don't really think about... I don't fly often as I wasn't brought up being able to afford holidays... I am however, taking a bus to Amsterdam next week over flying and will be looking at travel overland for trips abroad... This is partly environmental, but also I don't like planes and don't like children or loud people... On buses, everyone seems to settle and you can just read...

I have been vegan for six years and when I can, I try to eat seasonal food. I know I need to work on this...

I always try to get clothes second hand... I am hoping to grow food this year and to make my own cleaning products.

So most things I do, are often a result of habit or income, rather than going out of my way to be eco friendly.

I'd like to add... I do think there are a lot of environmental issues as climate change is just one of them... Also, that I think a lot of things proposed by environmental campaigns groups, even if we're not contributing to climate change, would change societies for the better (though some need to check their class privelege in what they assert and understand we don't all have an income like theirs).
  • Options
    These are really interesting viewpoints and I'm actually loving the responses, keep them coming!
  • Options
    I think perhaps a good way of looking at climate change is that the whole world is subject to evolution and change, and whether it's natural or exacerbated by man, we are still going to have to adapt to new surroundings or die out. So be sensible with it :)
  • Options
    Indeed! I think Climate Change probably was happening when we weren't even about.

Would you say animals could have an affect on the Climate also? (Random question from my little wee brain)
  • Options
    There's a poster in the lift in my building that says "Make every day Earth Day."

It's backlit 24 hours a day with an electric light in a lift that already has lights in it. :rolleyes: