Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Therapy...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've spent hours wondering if I should post this...cause I'm ashamed ect ect...

Someone from ycnet has suggested I contact hull rape crisis where they can offer therapy and support for what I went through as a child, So I Emailed them..asking for support which was possibly the most scariest thing I've ever done in a long time. Soon as I sent the Email I wanted to take it back and wished I hadn't sent it.

Then as I emailed at stupid oclock on a sunday night the office was shut, and someone got in touch with me on monday morning asking for my personal details, I.E my name, Phone number, address and such and such. I replied and then 10 minutes later the woman replied to me saying that I'm on the waiting list and it'll be 2-3 weeks before I get an appointment, I didn't think much more of it.

Then this morning I got a phone call asking if I'm Emily and I'm in a place I can talk, the woman explained she's the one I've been emailing and that she has an appointment for me on march 15th, So I said 'ahh thats my birthday' so she's changed the appointment for 22nd march, Which I've realised is getting really close to the time I should hopefully be moving to coventry..

I'm really nervous to attend, much more then when I attend any other things, because...its a center and everyone as soon as I walk in that building will know what I've been through, and If i see anyone I know it's going to be even more scarier. I feel like I might get judged ect.

Also, it's going to be differen't to the odd and pointless attempts at therapy or counselling I've had in the past, as they've been about any problem thats come to my mind not fixed on one particular thing..

So now I feel all panicky and anxious...and scared...

Comments

• Options
    What you've done is a big thing, and I'm super impressed, and so is george :yum:.

I understand being worried about the stigma of a particular building. I was very keen not to have appts in a particular place because "that's where properly mental people go". Sometimes though, and I've started to realise this recently, the stigma is mostly in our own heads. If you see anyone there, I can't imagine them wanting to do much more than want to give you a hug because of knowing what being there means.

Although, just give it some thought, about what the odds really are of seeing someone you already know.
  • Options
    If you see someone there you know, you'd know exactly what they'd gone through too. They wouldn't spread it around or anything.
  • Options
    Just be confident and share whatever you want to share.
    I think they would understand because they have the same problems with you.

Nice move :thumb:
  • Options
    Well done on taking such a brave step; it can be daunting!

One thing i think it helps to remember is that people go into those buildings for many reasons. People may suspect you're a survivor but they don't know for definite whether you're there as a volunteer, service user or some other reason.

I hope the appointment goes well
  • Options
    it sounds really positive. Youre BOUND to be nervous, but that is just the unknown. Are you able to keep emailing in the meantime, or did they give you any numbers to call in a crisis/.?
  • Options
    I think I can Email in meantime, but I don't think I can attend now. I think I'm moving to bristol on 18th..
  • Options
    These lovely people would take a referral from the people you've been in touch with.
  • Options
    Thankss, I'll take a look when I've moved..