Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Feel like it was all my fault

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sadly I don't have anything to comment on what you should do, but I'll say this: You need to disassociate the ideas of "doing something I shouldn't have done" and "fault".
    Was it a bad decision to get off your head? Yes, 100%.
    Is someone taking advantage of you in that situation your fault? No, 100%.
    No relation between the two.
  • Options
    Sadly I don't have anything to comment on what you should do, but I'll say this: You need to disassociate the ideas of "doing something I shouldn't have done" and "fault".
    Was it a bad decision to get off your head? Yes, 100%.
    Is someone taking advantage of you in that situation your fault? No, 100%.
    No relation between the two.

Yeah agree with this.

You made a couple of bad decisions during the evening, but that doesn't give the bloke the right to do things to someone who is not fully aware of where they are/what they are doing. He's in the wrong...not you.

That said, I sadly agree with you that there's nothing you can really do about it except learn from it....and maybe let a few people know that he's a ****!
  • Options
    Totally not your fault hun.
  • Options
    its not your fault, or his. he was trying to ascerttain whether you were awake and trying his chances, but soon realised you werent up for anything and went to sleep. he shouldnt have been so gropey, but you were both hammered and you were in his bed. Its a weird situation, but dont let your mind wander

hope youre ok
  • Options
    Exactly what Suzy said.

It's definitely not your fault, I'd be tempted to say it's not his fault either. Like you say, you were both smashed - you stopped it before things went too far and I suspect you'd think different before doing the same thing again.

Hugs.

Have a shower, get over the hangover etc and put it down to experience.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. I had a long shower this morning and spent the day in my comfies monging under my duvet getting rid of the hangover. It's such a grey area I understand better why these things are always so hard when the police get involved. The only thing that weirds me out still is that he seemed to take so long before he stopped and then he was actively moving me around so he knew I was out of it. It's hard to say though as he was equally as wrecked as I was, it's just a bit scary to think about because he was a big guy and I'm really small.
  • Options
    If he is mostly gay then there is a (consensual) rohypnol subculture, so being unresponsive isn't necessarily a no go thing - when you did show you were not interested he respected your wishes.

You are entitled to a "dude, inappropriate!" but try not to dwell.
  • Options
    Had a similar experience. It isn't your fault at all. I'm really glad he didn't take it further and backed off though. It's one of those experiences that really does make you think. I hope you're okay and giving yourself some tlc.
  • Options
    If he is mostly gay then there is a (consensual) rohypnol subculture, so being unresponsive isn't necessarily a no go thing - when you did show you were not interested he respected your wishes.

You are entitled to a "dude, inappropriate!" but try not to dwell.

I didn't get any of that. And it turns out he's not gay - just camp hence the mistake.
  • Options
    I don't think going to the police would be appropriate, for you as much as anything. There would be no point but a whole load of heartache.

As for what happened, it isn't your fault at all. I'd also agree that it probably isn't his either, it's human nature to try it on. Even more so when you're drunk and he's drunk and everyone is misreading the signals. Was he actually awake? I've been told I can be cuddly bordering on gropey when I'm fast asleep.
  • Options
    Pretty sure he was awake because I heard him saying my name and I think he was shaking me at one point. When he did eventually fall asleep he started snoring loudly and I started coming out of it and couldn't sleep so got changed and walked home.
  • Options
    Maybe he was, maybe he is a douche, maybe the drink and drugs clouded his judgement and left him thinking you were more interested than you evidently were. But don't blame yourself or beat yourself up.
  • Options
    If you were unresponsive, he should have stopped earlier than he did. He may have had clouded judgement, but that doesn't justify it.

However, most important thing is that it wasn't your fault in any way.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies, I'm not feeling as emotional today now I've had a decent sleep. I felt pretty crap yesterday hungover and lungs felt pretty gross and wanted a cuddle. I never intended to take action, I just hope I don't bump into him any time soon. I shouldn't have been so stupid, but you assume you're safer staying somewhere rather than walking home alone drunk and high at 4am. Oh well, I felt weird for a week or so last time and then eventually almost forget it ever happened - hopefully I'll bounce back again. And learn - it's happened twice now I shouldn't put myself in vulnerable positions. But that still doesn't give anyone the right to take advantage.
  • Options
    and my advice is dont get in a guys bed unless you actually want to fuck them.
    Not saying that tehyll rape you or that it means youre asking for sex, but most people will be wondering whether youre expecting them to try it on, or whether its a come on, or basically theyll spend the evening in turmoil wondering what to do.
    Obviously there are exceptions to the rule, but id suggest that its giving an unclear signal that you might be interested. If you do, then i suggest making it clear that you DONT want sex and that this is platonic. A gentleman would offer to sleep on the floor if he didnt think something sexual was appropriate.

I think with the increase in platonic friendships this line is often blurred, but i think its dodgy ground.

This isnt me saying that anything is "your fault" but i do think it was naive, which is different. There is nothing to be at fault for. he tried it on with you, you didnt want him to. It stopped. You both went to sleep
  • Options
    I thought he was gay, he was very camp or I would have thought twice about it. But I don't really know what I was thinking, I just wanted to sleep. Still stupid I know.
  • Options
    He behave completely inappropriately and abusively. When someone has to physically move another person in this way they know that person isn't able to give informed consent.

Im not going to tell you whether to report or otherwise because it is up to you. What I will say is the fact you considered the police shows you how far across the line you believed his behaviour was. Forget the myths - there is no grey area in rape or sexual assault. Only informed consent or not.

As for "dont get into bed with men you don't want to sleep with" that is a cr** piece of advice. It doesn't matter how you phrase it, you're still saying that women should expect sex because if they climb into bed with someone they are sending out "signals". Want to know what signals I send out when I get into bed with or without someone? "Sleep" Climbing into bed isnt an invitation to molest us in our sleep.

Ballerina, you're not stupid for trusting him to respect you and your boundaries and it certainly was not your fault.

Hugs if you want them