Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it possible for you to be a functional user?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I dont know if there is such a thing as a "functional" user or am I just an addict who is just trying to lessen the fact that Im an addict? Ive used pot, extasy, GHB, meth over the years with no let up and yet I have a job, stable home, no drama to speak of but yet, no matter how the drugs make me feel. I still feel empty.

This is my first time posting so forgive me for being somewhat vague. I guess, I do need to just talk about it and with those that know what I am talking about. It sucks, getting spun at 3 am and only the 4 walls to talk to and knowing I need to get ready for work in two hours.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    well youre functioning, but it isnt filling the void that you want it to fill.
    I dont think anyone uses drugs to that extent when theyre otherwise ok with everything, and its never a good idea long term for either your physicial or mental health. It can take a lot to get used to the stability of normal life when youre used to the rollercoaster emotions of erratic drug use. I think a lot of users are addicted to the chaos and the fact the drugs make them feel stuff.
    Real life is much more subtle and with less intense highs, but theyre real, and what it does give you is more fulfilling than chemical highs and lows
    It does make me feel, but it also makes me numb.

About half the time, it just makes me feel nothing. And that is one of the things that I kept using for. To literally let me not care about what is going on, especially if something bad has happened. Im not making excuses as to why I use, because I do enjoy how it makes me feel, but I dont know if I want to quit or if I need to.
    I think its ALWAYS wise to do as few drugs as you feel you can get away with.

Maybe giving up might be too much pressure if youre struggling with reality, but its probably a good idea to see them as an occasional treat rather than relying on them to get you through normal day to day stuff.

You see people who do that around and its never a pretty sight after a while.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    AzGemini71 wrote: »
    I guess, I do need to just talk about it and with those that know what I am talking about.

Glad you've found us :)

I think lots of us are probably familiar either personally or via friends of the 'functional' drug use you're talking about. I think the crux is probably this: "I still feel empty."

Do you find yourself using every weekend and every time you have any leisure time?

Suzy's advice is sound:
    Maybe giving up might be too much pressure if youre struggling with reality, but its probably a good idea to see them as an occasional treat rather than relying on them to get you through normal day to day stuff.

How does that suggestion sound? Does that sound plausible to you? There's no pressure to go into things, but you might find it helpful to talk about some of the stuff you 'don't want to care about' - nothing you've said so far sounds like an excuse.
    It's possible, of course it is...I haven't spent a day sober since the summer and autumn of '07 and I'm pretty functional. .