Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Self sooth kit

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,

I was chatting with **angel** in another thread and I thought I'd share this idea from my therapy with you all as I know it could help a lot of you.

I do DBT and one of the modules is distress tolerance for which my group all had to make a 'self sooth' kit. The idea is a collection of bits and pieces that you can use to sooth yourself when you are having a crisis or needing a bit of TLC. It is good if you can think of ways to engage all five of your senses - touch, taste, smell, sight, hearing.

Mine has in it -
hot water bottle
perfume
a cross and a bible (as I am a Christian)
camomile tea
posh knitting yarn to squidge (arctic qiviut incase any knitters read this)
paint brush (as I love to paint)
ribbon
bath bomb
body lotion
lavender oil
a stone (given to me by a friend)
a candle
and a hat for Randomcat (as however shit I feel nothing cheers me up more than seeing a cat in a hat!).

Here is a link for more ideas (it says it's for people with BPD but everyone can benefit from this - even our therapists have their own ones where I go!)
http://www.my-borderline-personality-disorder.com/2012/05/make-your-own-self-soothing-kit-dbt.html

What would you put in your own self-sooth kit?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    my cuddly rabbit that mr creamcheese gave me
    gin
    valium
    lush perfume - the smell of weather turning.
    I have my blankie (that piccolo fixed nicely for me) and the perfume that piccolo wears, so that's touch and smell. I like to eat fajitas when I'm feeling rubbish, so that's taste. I like to watch my telebox shows, like Thunder-cats, or catch up on Bones or Blue Bloods or Arrow, so that's sight and sound. But if I'm not watching telebox, I read and listen to spotify instead.
    Here's a photo of mine:

Attachment not found.
    I think I need to make one of those!

It would have in it,

A small cuddly toy (maybe Octi or a bear I was given by my sister, just something I can hold)
    A laughing dinosaur that sounds like a constipated sheep
    Photographs
    A rosary / string of prayer beads (I often chant or pray by rote to calm me down)
    My granny's Bible
    "Blankie"
    Werther's Originals
    A list of phone numbers - if my phone breaks I get very panicked and worry about the information I've lost!
    piccolo wrote: »
    a laughing dinosaur that sounds like a constipated sheep

He DOES NOT sound like a constipated sheep!!
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Definitely something I'll suggest when we do the Distress Tolerance Module in DBT! I have this old box a friend of mine gave me, it means a lot, quiet large. Would be great to be used to put the little bits and bops in! It sounds like a really good task though!

If I did have a kit, I'm still debating what to put in it, but I have the perfect teddy to put in, one I've had since I was little and I use during exams for comfort!

I would also put in luxuries like body lotion and stuff in. Something that is relaxing I guess, I really can't think of anything else I could put in it.
  • AndyAndy Deactivated Posts: 185 Helping Hand
    I saw this picture whilst browsing online last night and thought it was really heartwarming, some good tips as well! - http://imgur.com/gallery/lgDM0rK
    My therapist has mentioned self-soothing before but I never really took it seriously... interesting thread :)!
    I used the lavender oil from my self sooth kit tonight in my essential oil burner.