Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

February Book Club: Orlando

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What did you think?

I love the style and rhythm of Virginia Woolf's writing, but I'll admit I skimmed some of the wordier descriptive passages.

The moments that have stuck with me are the scenes with Elizabeth I and the moment Orlando first enters a bookshop.

What do you think Woolf is trying to say about gender (if anything)? Do you think she is poking fun at the idea of biography or is there something more profound about the magical nature of Orlando's life? What is the damn' Oak Tree all about?!

Incidentally, I found this article by Tilda Swinton on the impact the book had on her. It's interesting!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I think she's definitely poking fun at the style of some biographers, but not necessarily at biography per se. Was it me, or did the voice change in each chapter?
  • Options
    I think she's definitely poking fun at the style of some biographers, but not necessarily at biography per se. Was it me, or did the voice change in each chapter?

I thought the voice changed at least each chapter. Like we never really knew if we were seeing the whole story.