Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Deed poll

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right so I'm changing my name by deed poll, and I'm really confused about which one I need.

There's this one: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/loc024-eng.pdf

And this one: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/loc022-eng.pdf

And when the forms been filled out, can I then just use it to change my passport etc? Also, I need to send off for my national insurance number so do I just send a copy of the deed poll with that to show the name change?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think you're old enough to sign a deed poll but I may be wrong.

Ask a solicitor I reckon. You'll need one to witness it anyway
    Children aged 16 to 18

Children between the age of 16 and 18, must apply for their own Adult Deed Poll, and do not need to seek the consent of those holding parental responsibility for them.

In the same way that an adult would, they must sign the Deed Poll themselves and have this signing witnessed. They can then proceed to get all of their records updated, including the name on their passport. This is done by sending out the Deed Poll document to the relevant departments

from http://www.ukdp.co.uk/name-change-age-restrictions/

You don't actually need to do anything, if you want to chgange your name, change it and tell the relevant people about it. BUT you probably (depends on bank) one to change names at places like bank. As you said you want to change your name on your passport then you must do it by deed poll. The passport office will refuse to change your name without one.

You don't 'need' a solicitor and to be honest they'll probably fuck you over on a charges just for signing a bit of paper.

When a Deed Poll document has been drawn up it must be executed. This simply means that it is signed and dated and that the signing and dating is witnessed. The person that witnesses the actions must meet the following requirements:

?Be at least 18 years of age.
    ?Be known to you but be independent of you (e.g. not a family member).
    ?Not live at the same address as you.
    ?Be able to speak and read English.

A suitable witness could be a friend, a colleague or a neighbour.
    I know how to do it all, I'm 15 and therefore the deed poll is done by my parents. I just don't know which one of those two forms I posted it needs to be.
    Thanks though guys :)
    Pretty sure I've figured it out. Don't need either of the forms above, they're for getting it enrolled by the court or something... which costs money and isn't necessary. I've found other ones I can fill in online and just have to print out, get signed etc.

I'm not changing my name, just the spelling of it... because all my GCSE certificates, my bank accounts etc. are in the spelling I currently use... but my passport is spelt the same as it is on my birth certificate which college had a bit of an issue with so they said before I start in September I need to get it all changed.
    Don't use a solicitor! I got royally fucked over when I changed my name - I ended up paying £250!

You could see if they'll accept a statutory declaration. Thats cheap and can be done in a magistrates court.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    Don't use a solicitor! I got royally fucked over when I changed my name - I ended up paying £250!

You could see if they'll accept a statutory declaration. Thats cheap and can be done in a magistrates court.

Name changes are free, you just have to use the correct wording, get it signed by 2 witnesses and then you're done. I read somewhere "you can write it on the back of a napkin if you want to, but you're best off making it look official" :lol: