Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

keep calm, it's assignment time

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm trying to write up the results of a psychology experiment. It's only 2000 words but it's reduced me to tears numerous times and I'm only on 823 words. I feel really stressed due to the expectations that I have of myself.

How do you keep calm when writing difficult assignments?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I tend to not write the essays in order at all. So I'll plan it and this usually involves headings and subheadings, and then I'll lay all this out and just slowly and surely pad it out starting with the easiest bits first. I always feel less panicky the more words I have so that helps a bit.
  • Options
    I tend to not write the essays in order at all. So I'll plan it and this usually involves headings and subheadings, and then I'll lay all this out and just slowly and surely pad it out starting with the easiest bits first. I always feel less panicky the more words I have so that helps a bit.

We were given a basic plan of how to write the report. In terms of structure, this is fairly easy compared to other essays which I've written. I think part of the problem is that I have no idea what I've actually analysing...

Managed to get to 1506 words. 500 to go!
  • Options
    two weeks until dissertation hand-in for me.

already overshot 10,000 word limit and haven't discussed my results yet.

my top tip for staying calm is avoid any conversations with other people from your course who want to tell you how well their work is going.
  • Options
    I have a presentation on tuesday, and I'm in the middle of a 9 day working week so I'm too tired to concentrate on doing much work in the evenings :( Then I have another on the 11th that I need to analyse loads of stats for, then a 1500 word one (I think) on the 20th and then a 3500 one on the 22nd. Then I can finally go home for a bit before starting work on my thesis

Arrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!
  • Options
    omg hi wrote: »

my top tip for staying calm is avoid any conversations with other people from your course who want to tell you how well their work is going.

agree with this. My friends are all very last minute, so usually discussing assignments with them isn't possible, because I'll only get a blank look as though to say "we have assignments?!"

Hope the stresses lessens for both of you :)
  • Options
    I avoid too much discussion with others, especially after hand in because then I start worrying I did it wrong.