Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gap year. Yay or nay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I was planning on going straight from college to uni, but now im not so sure. I have mh problems and am not very well at the moment and worry i will find it hard to cope with uni and everything else if i don't take some time out soon. I want to study social work, which i know is a pretty straining course and i worry if im not emotionally stable then i might find it even harder.
I think if i did take a year out i would go and do volunteer work with the womans refuge to help me get experience for the future and train as a support worker and also visit the uk before i move there as a student.
The only thing that puts me off is where i would live, as i don't think i could live here to be honest and where id get money from if im doing volunteer work.
Other than that i think it would be good. What's other peoples opinions? thanks :)
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I was in a similar situation and I took a year out before uni, I just worked in a bar but it was one of the best choices I ever made because it gave me the chance to take care of myself without the pressures of academic work and I also saved enough money to give me some financial stability, compared to my friends who went to uni straight from school and were piss poor throughout. it gave me a bit of perspective as well, I think when you're at college sometimes they put so much emphasis on uni that you lose sight of everything else. I'd definitely look into it, could you do some paid work at the same time as volunteering to support youraelf?
    Pretty much omg hi has said.

If you're willing to live on a pretty tight budget then you can probably live in a shared house and pay the bills whilst working part time and doing some volunteering.
    To be honest im pretty used to living on a small budget, so that doesn't really bother me. Just the fact i wouldn't be able to live with me family, how id tell them im leaving and finding somewhere i can afford.
    I do wanna look into it though, before i was always like no chance will i. But if im still like this i can't go do a course like that and to be honest i don't see the need to rush into uni, seen as this course is aimed more at over 21's.