Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

I give up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I would happily give up on life right about now. My store manager hates me and I don't blame him. Think he wants me to leave. My degree is down the drain along with the £1000s it cost. No career plan. No direction. Friends who have disappeared, not that I can blame them either. I'm done now. I've had it. I actually cannot live like this anymore and I know the reasons in this post are pathetic reasons but they aren't everything. Some things I just can't explain.

Comments

• Options
    *hug* I am always here for you :heart:

I am sorry to hear how things are going with you, you can talk to me anytime. My PM box is always there.

Don't give up on life, you are amazing and you WILL get through this. Do you have anything you can do as a distraction from your feelings?

Find something to focus on to keep you going, I am totally feeling the same, I want to give up, but I can't cos I can't do that to my little sister and nephew, they need me to be around for when they are growing up. I have to be strong, you can be strong too.

The reasons in your posts are not pathetic at all, your expressing yourself which is good. I often think my posts are stupid and not worth writing but they are, cos the people on here are a community and they have helped me so much, you have helped me so much too. Hold on to that. Nothing you say is pathetic I promise you.

:heart:*hug*
  • Options
    Ok. It's a shit week, but that doesn't mean it's all going to be like this.

Degree is not completely down the drain. The best of us take slightly longer than planned to get degrees.
  • Options
    Don't give up on life. I know it seems like there is nothing worth living for and that everything is just too hard to carry on but it's not all like that. I have the same problem at the moment. I can't see the point to life and I wish I was dead. But the one thing that keeps me going is knowing that if I were to die, it might end my suffering but it would make all of the people who know and love me suffer. I know it's the same for you. I have a blog that helps me to carry on even when it seems like the most painful thing to do. Have a read, watch the video and maybe try writing, drawing or making something to help express how you feel. If you ever need to talk, I'm more than happy to. Please don't give up just yet; do it for all the people who would suffer if you were gone.

http://utterlycray.blogspot.co.uk/

I hope things get better and start to seem less pointless.
  • Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    It's going to be ok. It's a bad time. There is the guarantee that you will get bad things and good things, it's inevitable. So, therefore, things will get better, eventually. Hang in there. You have achieved so much already. It's a small obstacle compared to what you have been through. You can get over this really. If things have fallen apart, things can fall together too. All the best, stay strong.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey WhiteLillies,
    I'm sorry to hear about your recent set-backs - I know it was a shock when you didn't get what you needed for your last unit and it's understandable that you feel like you've let yourself down. It's positive to see you are considering a break though - the positive impact of such a decision shouldn't be underestimated. Sometimes when there are extenuating circumstances in our lives we convince ourselves that we can manage a range of tasks with different pressures because it feels like they are positive distractions - and we want to feel fully capable and purposeful. If those things just keep ticking over, then everything can be normal, right?

In reality, the strain of everything does tend to catch-up meaning that we start to lose the ability to make effective judgements in relation to what we realistically have the mental capacity for. This doesn't mean that we suddenly become less intelligent or capable, it just means we need to give ourselves the space for healing and taking care of ourselves before we can get back to working at our full potential.

Does this make sense?

As Scary says, try not to see these set-backs as the end of the line - they are bumps on a trail that will start to go upwards again because you are have shown yourself to be so determined.

How are you feeling today? Remember you can always free your thoughts here, no matter what. *hug*
  • Options
    Thank you all for your supportive comments *hug*

Things just kind of felt like they came to crunch point last night after a shocking week and it felt like no-one understood.

Helen - :yes: it does make perfect sense and was a justification in my own mind of why I made the decision to take a break.

I'm a little up and down because I feel like only 13 months ago my life was perfect and I was where I wanted to be; yet, within a week I lost both my potential career path and my Dad and since then it has felt like one massive spiral downwards and I feel a little out of control if I'm honest.
  • Options
    I feel like only 13 months ago my life was perfect and I was where I wanted to be; yet, within a week I lost both my potential career path and my Dad and since then it has felt like one massive spiral downwards and I feel a little out of control if I'm honest.

Hey again,
    This is really sad and tough because what the last 13 months probably means is that the illusion of a perfect life has been shattered - rather than that it existed in the first place. It felt perfect because you perhaps thought that the direction of things was within your control and OK and you felt you were where you wanted to be. Perhaps really - through no fault of your own, you were unable to grasp a true insight into where things were at in relation to your family situation and maybe a few other things? :(

What tends to happen when you experience such a profound loss is that you are catapulted into reality with such an extreme force that you are forced to 'grow-up' to the extent that any possibility for seeing things from a normal and protected perspective are (at least temporarily) lost. The counter to this is actually, that with fuller knowledge does come more control. You get to dictate your reality now because you have so much more insight into your true reality and what you can do for yourself to build a new foundation that means there is hope and there is strength and there is life.

I feel really, really sad typing this because it's such a difficult circumstance to come to terms with. Growing up and facing a new truth is heartbreaking.

You CAN do it though - we all have faith in you, we're all behind you and we all can see as I said before that you think hard and you work hard - these things are really important. *hug*
  • Options
    I can really second what Helen said.

I've noticed it in a fair few of the people I know recently. In 15-35 year olds (and yes, the range is I think actually that wide) you get a split. Those who've been forced to realise that actually there are major aspects of the world that are truly shit; and those who've had the fortune to never really have to deal with any of that.

I can think of two things that really forced me into growing up - and a grown up realisation that actually, not everything is ok in the end. Neither were fun experiences, and the 'scars' from both of those will always be with me. But I've definitely learnt from them. My outlook on pretty much everything has changed as a result - but not in an entirely negative way.

I can relate to what I think Helen is saying. Since I got forced to grow up, I've made far more choices. Life used to tick along, in the grass is green and follow the yellow brick road mode. There was a well trodden standard path to Oz, I was on it and I never questioned it. The version I'm on now is more like an OS map, that I've never seen before, and that all the place names have been deleted off. Far less simple, but so much more rewarding.

You can get through this. How you've managed everything so far makes me really confident in saying that. Give yourself a break, let yourself catch your breath, and give yourself a shot at just being you for a little bit. It can seem easier to keep going when you're constantly busy - and there will likely be some low patches as the true reality sinks in, but you can start building a new life for yourself again. And I mean new life, not rebuilding your old one. There's no going back, but there's plenty of going forward.

I hope for your sake that getting there doesn't involve a weekend on your own in an empty flat, in a city you've only just moved to, curled up on the sofa in a blanket while a storm rages outside, in a mixture of misery and fear. Been there, done that, and it wasn't fun - but looking back that was probably when my new grown up life actually started.

Hugs.
  • Options

I can relate to what I think Helen is saying. Since I got forced to grow up, I've made far more choices. Life used to tick along, in the grass is green and follow the yellow brick road mode. There was a well trodden standard path to Oz, I was on it and I never questioned it. The version I'm on now is more like an OS map, that I've never seen before, and that all the place names have been deleted off. Far less simple, but so much more rewarding.

:yes: thanks for this additional illustration of my babblings! I love your use of metaphor. :heart:
  • Options
    at some point I'll scan in the time line I did of the 2.5 years after my dad died - it'll show you the rollercoaster that I went through and survived.

I'll also echo what Helen and Scary have said far more eloquently than I could today :)
  • Options
    I understand and agree with what you say about having to "Grow up". I feel like I've suddenly been thrown a whole load of new responsibilities and told to get on with it with no guidance. Anyone who knows me well, will tell you that responsibility is what I strive on...but its different when you have mixed feelings about how you've ended up in that situation. Losing someone so close isn't just about the loss of that person but the loss of security and protection they offered and also losing my original role within my family.

In terms of what I called my "Perfect Life" ... I know that life is never perfect...maybe I used the wrong phrase. I worked extremely hard to get to a point where I was in a job I loved, working towards a degree that would support my career and I was genuinely happy with the social aspects to my life. You could say I reached a point where I never remembered being happier and to me success is based on happiness...not job title, material things, etc. In terms of the loss of career plan - it literally came out of nowhere and even the management directly impacted as a result had no more warning than I had, had. In terms of family - hindsight is a wonderful thing and I wish I knew then what I know now. I guess I wasn't as grown up then as I am now but I got where I was through pure dedication and hard work.

I've spoken to uni this evening and it has left me feeling totally confused and even more overwhelmed. I feel like I'm trapped and I don't know how to get out of the situation I'm now in.

In terms of staying busy - it's what I do best - I know I have to deal with whats happened but staying busy means I have a focus - a reason to keep going. Never have I ever felt this stressed out...I've been put under a lot of pressure before but this is different...I already feel like I'm on the verge of cracking. I feel like I'm being pulled in ten different directions with everyone needing me for something.

I really am struggling to keep going - with everyone demanding something from me - I just can't do it anymore.
  • Options
    I started packing up some stuff ready for moving house and I just lost it. I can't stop sobbing and I don't know what to do anymore. I've become obsessed with suicide. Every night I hope that I won't wake up the following morning. I feel constantly ill and exhausted. I'm tired of fighting a losing battle. I guess to put it simply...I don't want to live anymore.
  • Options
    You need to go back to your doctor and back to your counsellor. They can help you with this. We are ALWAYS here to listen, but they are the ones who can give you the practical hands on help that you really need right now.

Go back to your doctors and well - I found bursting into tears on them really helped!
  • Options
    I know I need to. Guess I'm just scared. No idea why. Happiest I feel is laying in the dark in bed or out training on my bike. Both make me feel like I don't have to pretend anymore but being out on the roads puts me at risk of being hurt and I like knowing that. I don't know how I've let myself get to this point...I should just get on with it and forget everything that's led me to this point because I can't change any of it.
  • Options
    Hun let's go back to the cancer analogy- you wouldn't 'just get on with it', you'd treat it. Your mental health is no different. You need to get some treatment for this, and sooner rather than later.