Home We Need You
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

BBC 3 Mental Health Documentary

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
A production company contracted by BBC 3 is currently producing a documentary for the channels mental health season examining the issues faced by young people seeking mental health treatment on the NHS.

They are looking for potential contributors, ideally aged between 18-30, with strong views about their medical treatment.

Here are the details:

"We feel that in order to highlight the gaps in mental healthcare provision across the UK we need to hear from young people themselves who?ve had both good and bad experiences.

We will be examining the following areas within the documentary:
? GP treatment.
? The quality of mental healthcare found within A&E.
? Standard of care in relation to self-harm and suicidal cases (including presentation at A&E).
? The treatment provided by the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) and issues relating to the subsequent transition to the Adult Mental Health Service (AMHS).
? The support and treatment available to black & ethnic minority (BME) patients with mental health issues.
? The use of drugs and alcohol by young people in treating their own mental health disorders.
? The standard of ?Mental Health Crisis Care? provision within the NHS.

In the first instance, we are looking to speak to any potential contributors as soon possible.

Our duty of care for all our contributors with mental health issues is paramount, so nobody will be committing themselves to taking part at this stage."

Interested?

And mention to Michelle that you saw the ad on TheSite.org via YouthNet staff :thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The age limit is 18, I just emailed her :(
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    The age limit is 18, I just emailed her :(

Aww sorry - yes that's just been flagged to me too, didn't realise at time of posting.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Aww sorry - yes that's just been flagged to me too, didn't realise at time of posting.
    That's not really young people though is it? No offence to any 18yr olds but isnt mental health becoming more of an issue in adolescence? Which is 13-14yr olds?

Just putting in my opinion don't shoot me for it...
    Flow wrote: »
    That's not really young people though is it? No offence to any 18yr olds but isnt mental health becoming more of an issue in adolescence? Which is 13-14yr olds?

Just putting in my opinion don't shoot me for it...

You're right, it is becoming more of an issue, but there are legal rights in filming with minors for one thing and for another the proportions are still very different, 1 in 10 for young people and 1 in 4 for the population in general.
    A lot of mental health issues don't appear or get diagonsed until the late adolescence / twenties.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    A lot of mental health issues don't appear or get diagonsed until the late adolescence / twenties.

But is that not because it's such a taboo topic in youth?
    Many hide there feelings until they grasp the maturity level to know what they are feeling needs to be addressed?
    I'm sorry with my wording of things but sorta typing on my kindle so using shorter terms lol
    I'm 18 in 16 days :(
    To be fair, they are talking about CAMHS so age limit isn't a surprise.

Neither is the fact that one of our media organisations is apparently about to do another critical piece about the NHS with no context. At least they are open about it though when they say "highlight the gaps"...
    I wish them good luck finding someone with a strong opinion about a good experience......
    Flow wrote: »
    But is that not because it's such a taboo topic in youth?
    Many hide there feelings until they grasp the maturity level to know what they are feeling needs to be addressed?
    I'm sorry with my wording of things but sorta typing on my kindle so using shorter terms lol

There is something in that, but a lot of doctors think it's inappropriate to diagnose certain conditions (borderline, bipolar, etc.) during adolescence. That won't be everyone's experience but it's a common attitude in the sector.
    piccolo wrote: »
    There is something in that, but a lot of doctors think it's inappropriate to diagnose certain conditions (borderline, bipolar, etc.) during adolescence. That won't be everyone's experience but it's a common attitude in the sector.

:yes: I have a "mood disorder".