Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Film-of-the-Book-of-the-Film Club: Adaptations special! Nominations

2»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Title and certificate The Last Unicorn (Peter S. Beagle) - Cert U

Film trailer
    Synopsis "The unicorn lived in a lilac wood and she lived all alone."
    Thus begins the story (told with great simplicity and magnificent poetry) of the quest of the last unicorn for her vanished kin and our quest for what is important in life as we follow the progress of the unicorn and her human companions - the failed magician Schmendrick, hurt and wronged Molly Grue, the dreaming King Lir and blighting King Haggard. After finishing the book, the world is sadder, but for that sadness a richer place.
    Since my childhood this book has been my constant companion and special present to people who mean a lot to me. Although I read it first as a child, it is not only a children's book, but very much an adult book. There are so many layers to it, so much wit and wisdom in it that a child can never understand. It is also beautifully written, the language is poetry with startling, but apt images.
    A book to be cherished for a whole lifetime.

Reason for nomination One of my favourite childhood movies (up there with The Lion, the Witch & The Wardrobe), and I only just found out that it's a book! I MUST READ THIS.
  • Options
    OK, I've been trying not to nominate hundreds this month, just two more from me!

Howl's Moving Castle (U) by Diana Wynne Jones (kindle, eBook)

Synopsis: In the land of Ingary, where seven league boots and cloaks of invisibility do exist, Sophie Hatter catches the unwelcome attention of the Witch of the Waste and is put under a spell.

Deciding she has nothing more to lose, she makes her way to the moving castle that hovers on the hills above Market Chipping. But the castle belongs to the dreaded Wizard Howl whose appetite, they say, is satisfied only by the souls of young girls. There she meets Michael, Howl's apprentice, and Calcifer the Fire Demon, with whom she agrees a pact.

But Sophie isn't the only one under a curse; her entanglements with Calcifer, Howl, and Michael, and her quest to break her curse is both gripping and howlingly funny! (from Amazon)

Reason: Never seen or read it, and really want to!

300 (15) by Frank Miller (kindle fire / HD / app edition)

Synopsis: Based on the legends surrounding the Battle of Thermopylae (which took place between the Spartan elite and the army of Persia led by Xerxes), Leonidas leads his forces to a battle where betrayal would mean certain death.

Reason for nominating: "This is blasphemy! This is madness!" "Madness? This. Is. SPARTAAAAAAAA!"
    Soundbites aside, it's an interesting depiction of the ways in which legend becomes history and image is everything. There's some good fighting, too.
  • Options
    ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    It helps, but actually they were quite difficult to see. Piccolo and I for book and film club and for this adaptations special have the nominations format for a reason.

Sorry about that hun, I can be a bit dense sometimes, especially where tech is involved. :confused: I didn't really know any links, thanks for that Piccolo.
    Should I go back to change them?
    I'll try to be less dense in the future. :)
  • Options
    Howls moving castle is a very beautiful film, one of my favourites!
  • Options
    Reena wrote: »
    Sorry about that hun, I can be a bit dense sometimes, especially where tech is involved. :confused: I didn't really know any links, thanks for that Piccolo.
    Should I go back to change them?
    I'll try to be less dense in the future. :)

Picc, being the hero she is, has fixed it all for us both. If in future you can do your best to stick to the format where you can that'd be a winner. Both Book Club and Film Club are all about members, we love nominations, votes, discussion AND suggestions for improvements, so if you genuinely think there's a better way for us to take nominations I know I'd love to hear it, and I bet Picc would too. We have sticky threads at the top of Travel and Free Time for exactly that.
  • Options
    Okay I'll try. xx
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Howls moving castle is a very beautiful film, one of my favourites!

Mine too! I didn't know there was a book.
  • Options
    I'm just nom-ing so please don't close the thread before I'm done ;)
  • Options
    Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami. Film rated 15.

Film trailer
    Synopsis
    (Courtesy of Waterstones)
    "When he hears her favourite Beatles song, Toru Watanabe recalls his first love Naoko, the girlfriend of his best friend Kizuki. Immediately he is transported back almost twenty years to his student days in Tokyo, adrift in a world of uneasy friendships, casual sex, passion, loss and desire - to a time when an impetuous young woman called Midori marches into his life and he has to choose between the future and the past."

Reason for nomination
    -It is my FAVOURITE book.
    -It's also a-film-of-the-book-of-the-song!
  • Options
    Nominations are now closed
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Stardust (PG)

On TONIGHT 8pm on E4 :)