Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My mad fat diary

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just watched the last in the series. Has anyone else been watching it? What have you thought?

Comments

• Options
    Starry nightStarry night Posts: 674 Incredible Poster
    :hyper: It's great. The last episode made me cry lots though. I think the name lets it down though- like it's just not as accomplished as it is, not as serious.
    I love Kester too. I really want another series.
  • Options
    i really enjoyed it, much more than i thought i would. i think it got better as i went along.

like the rest of the twitterverse, i was sad to hear from rae earl that kester and finn were both fictional (although there was a boy in the real story). sometimes i found rae a bit noisy and overbearing but i adored tix, she was a brilliant character and probably the most realistic.
  • Options
    She reminds me of my neighbour...
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    It's not very realistic, from my own view! - Wasn't a big fan of it, but enjoyed watching the last episode XD
  • Options
    **Angel** wrote: »
    It's not very realistic, from my own view! - Wasn't a big fan of it, but enjoyed watching the last episode XD

It's a real girl's diary!
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    grace wrote: »
    It's a real girl's diary!

Really O.o

I still didn't like it :P
  • Options
    i never saw it... saw clips of it, but never a whole episode

maybe because i'm currently obsessed with my dvd collection of wife swap USA, that comes before anything else
  • Options
    Agree with you about Rae - sometimes I was cringing and thinking TMI!
  • Options
    Agree with you about Rae - sometimes I was cringing and thinking TMI!

Same here. I found the Finn thing a tad unrealistic. It wandered into cliche more than a few times but it is still really insightful and endearing.
  • Options
    I can't put my finger on what I really liked about it. I think it was that Rae was portrayed as someone who happened to have a mental illness rather than the whole programme being solely about her struggles. She was still functioning and still had friends but we got an insight into how her problems affected many areas of her life. I just think they got the balance between it all right.
  • Options
    Personally, I think it was because it was rough around the edges, it's easier to relate and laugh. There are lots of stories about this sort of thing but it was the personal, cringey stuff that made it good in a way. That's why, for me, I think the cliched bits were particularly jarring- because Rae isn't a cliche, neither is mental illness. I know it might sweeten the whole thing but it still let it down. I think for a lot of people it was the nostalgia thing, or being able to relate as a teenager.
  • Options
    it was too close to home for me