Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

University trouble? :/

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I want to go on and do a Journalism degree course, but suffer from extreme anxiety and fear I can not cope with exams but only coursework. I have done my GCSES and in 2009 I completed a BTEC National certificate in business. I got the grades I wanted and decided to take a gap year which has gone on for a while. I've also decided to volunteer amongst this which has been really insightful and taught me different skills. I volunteer online and in the office.:yippe:

Journalism is a career path I definitely want to go down the route of. eventually working in a magazine or in PR/Social media. I know there are lots of avenues I could try.

The thing is though, the course I want to do is a foundation degree which is a two year course and my other options include doing a standard three year course. The foundation degree is a better option to me but the location is not ideal. It's in Milton Keynes and I'm in London so would need to travel. The course is at a college so they don't have accomodation. I am going through UCAS so have applied for other unis but the exams and extensive pressure plus having Aspergers puts me off. I would have to travel to MK everyday week and come back. Where as I could move to a uni and stay in halls with others might make it easier?

:eek2:

Do you think staying at home and travelling is better? Does anyone know if your allowed to stay in London halls and go to a London uni?

I have another taster day coming up for MK I need to go and see what it's like. I will be taking my Connexions advisor with me though. Should I check the course and what's it's like before I make a decision?:nervous:

Is it to late to go to uni at 22?:confused:according to my parents it is.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    I don't think it's ever too late to go to university. Life is a long learning process, and this is part of it!

I suppose the first question is whether you could find alternative accommodation in MK so you didn't have to commute as far every day.

I think it's a really good idea for you to go and check out the college; afterwards you might find that it isn't in fact quite how you'd imagined it and that perhaps a different course would be better?

Additionally, it is my understanding that generally people do a foundation degree then move on to a bachelor degree - is this not the case here?

Good luck!
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hi
    Yep I asked for accomodation and its possible in the fact that its private landlords that can give you somewhere to stay. I have the option of staying at home and travelling as this is something the course leader mentioned to me and there a few students who travel to London and back on the trains.
    I will definitely look into the taster day as I need to know if this is the right course for me. I was told the foundation
    Degree is two years and then a further year at another university to complete the full BA course. I would find the foundation degree easier as its more coursework based and apparently there are only 10-15 people in each class. I will let you know what happens at the taster day. I'm a tad worried about it not being ideal either.
    Can anyone shed any light on staying in London halls at a London uni if you live here to?
    Thanks!
    Sonia1 wrote: »
    Can anyone shed any light on staying in London halls at a London uni if you live here to?
    Thanks!

A lot of universities limit their places in halls, because there aren't quite enough, to people who don't live locally. It varies uni-by-uni, but in London there are also some big private halls providers. You pay over the odds for these, but don't have to deal with a private landlord, and get some kind of halls-experience.
    The other thing to mention is that universities often have well equipped and useful Disabilities and Equality services that are available to support you in your learning - it's much easier to obtain learning support in uni than it is in schools (in my opinion/experience!) so you should talk to the disabilities services at your potential places of study and see what support they can offer.
    Purple_roo wrote: »
    The other thing to mention is that universities often have well equipped and useful Disabilities and Equality services that are available to support you in your learning - it's much easier to obtain learning support in uni than it is in schools (in my opinion/experience!) so you should talk to the disabilities services at your potential places of study and see what support they can offer.

:yes: And they will sometimes waive the rules around residences if there is a medical reason halls would be better for you (e.g. access to wardens and support staff).
    I went to uni in London and lived in halls and met loads of people who had come from London who had also managed to get a place in halls.
    Thank you all for this. I'm still looking at possible accomodation for the uni in London. I felt the journey when travelling to MK the other day a bit to stressful and I don't think it would have potentially worked out.
    Sonia1 wrote: »
    I felt the journey when travelling to MK the other day a bit to stressful and I don't think it would have potentially worked out.

Can you live in MK or nearby?
    University trouble?

I think in University studies or whatever field of life you are going to get in. First of all you need have a clear mindset about it, have aim or target to achieve and then your self motivation and esteem power would be most important factor to let you reach out there. So, don,t fear for anything and have full go at it. Because the positive attitude is always there to help your way out.