Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film-of-the-Book-of-the-Film Club: Adaptations special! Nominations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
And now for something completely different!

In March, book club and film club are exploring a joint venture. We are looking at adaptations, books that have been made into films (and, occasionally, vice versa).

There is no further theme, it can be cartoon/anime, foreign language, musical, anything. There just has to be a book and a film! The discussions will focus on issues around how well things transfer from one format to another, etc. So it's ok if the film/book turns out not to be what you expected: that is part of the fun!

In keeping with the Rules of Film Club, if the winner is an 18 certificate then we will give you a choice of the top two. If the winner is not an 18 certificate, we will just look at one, so that there is only one book to read (good job March is a long month, eh?)!

Nomination format:

Title and certificate (with links to the books and ebooks if you can)

Film trailer

Synopsis

Reason for nomination

GOGOGOGO! Nominations close Friday!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My Name is Fiend_85 and I endorse this message.
    Stardust (PG) Kindle
    Synopsis wrote:
    STARDUST sets its hero, Tristan Thorn, on a quest to do just that. Smitten by beauty Victoria Forester, Tristan seizes on her offhand promise that if he retrieves a star they see fall from the sky, he will have his heart's desire. Hoping to win Victoria's love, Tristan ventures off to seek the star in the realms of Faerie, bordering the village he has known as home on the English countryside. In Faerie, he finds his star and, ultimately, his heart's desire, but not until, in true fairytale fashion, he encounters danger and sacrifice. For the star, in the form of a young woman, is also sought by wicked witches and treacherous lords on quests of their own; bloody ones.

Reason For Nominating:

Both film and book are good I think, but they are different, I watched the film first, and I'm not sure I would have liked the film had I read the book first, I think it's interesting that I find books colour my enjoyment more than films do, perhaps I'm a book purist.
  • ReenaReena Posts: 1,375 Wise Owl
    Secondhand Lions (12)

A coming-of-age story about a shy, young boy sent by his irresponsible mother to spend the summer with his wealthy, eccentric uncles in Texas.

Reason: Hub and Garth. :D

But the book might be difficult to get a hold of, the price is :eek:. Author John Whitman.
    Can I pick 2?
    I don't want to be a dick, but if the book is impossible to get hold of (because it costs £180 odd) then perhaps you should nominate something else.

Though, if you can think of a good theme that film fits in, please suggest it in the film club sticky thread and we'll do it eventually.
    Trainspotting (18)

Synopsis:
    Renton, deeply immersed in the Edinburgh drug scene, tries to clean up and get out, despite the allure of the drugs and influence of friends.

Reason: The book is amazing - once you get your head around the scottish accents. It's even more shocking than the film. The film is still one of the most famous british films of it's time. Both are worth watching/reading. Also the soundtrack is one of the best ever film soundtracks not only is it amazing to listen to but they all fit in perfectly

Memoirs of a Geisha (12a)

Synopsis
    Nitta Sayuri reveals how she transcended her fishing-village roots and became one of Japan's most celebrated geisha.

Reason: The film is just stunning, the acting is amazing, especially when you consider a lot of the principal cast spoke little or no english (e.g. Li Gong who plays Hatsumomo didn't speak english and learnt her lines phonetically) I haven't read the book for a while but it's also very enjoyable - you really get sucked into Sayuri's world.
    Reena wrote: »
    But the book might be difficult to get a hold of, the price is :eek:. Author John Whitman.
    Can I pick 2?

Hi Reena,

I agree with Fiend, this would be really good for Film Club some time but we can't pick something for Book Club that is so hard to get hold of.

You can nominate as many as you like!
    these are the ones i can currently come up with- though i could probably think of more to come back to this thread

james and the giant peach (roald dahl)

charlie and the chocolate factory (roald dahl)

matilda (roald dahl)

oliver twist (charles dickens)

the railway children (e nesbit)

the twilight saga- though i don't know the author

chitty chitty bang bang (ian fleming)

the harry potter series (j k rowling)

the lord of the rings series

the golden compass (philip pulman's dark materials)

sybil (again, not sure of the author)
    almost forgot:

peter pan (J, M , barry)
    lady emily, it's great that you've come up with so many examples, but piccolo and I have put work into the format for this to make it as easy as possible for other users and ourselves to do these clubs.

Nomination format:

Title and certificate (with links to the books and ebooks if you can)

Film trailer

Synopsis

Reason for nomination

If you want us to do any of these, please do nominate them, but we can't really do your nominations for you. Like the Harry Potter series, for example, there are 8 films and 7 books, which one do you want? Because we don't have time to do all of them. Same with Twilight (Author Stephanie Meyer FYI), there are 4 books and 5 films (and the last one isn't out yet).
    James and the Giant Peach (PG) Kindle
    Synopsis wrote:
    When poor James Henry Trotter loses his parents in a horrible rhinoceros accident, he is forced to live with his two wicked aunts, Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker. After three years he becomes "the saddest and loneliest boy you could find". Then one day, a wizened old man in a dark-green suit gives James a bag of magic crystals that promise to reverse his misery forever. When James accidentally spills the crystals on his aunts' withered peach tree, he sets the adventure in motion. From the old tree a single peach grows, and grows, and grows some more, until finally James climbs inside the giant fruit and rolls away from his despicable aunts to a whole new life.

Reason for nomination:

Well, it's a classic isn't it? I loved the book a child, the audio-book frightened me, and I never saw the film, so this is the ideal opportunity (with a memory prod by lady emily) to have another look!
    lady emily wrote: »
    these are the ones i can currently come up with- though i could probably think of more to come back to this thread

james and the giant peach (roald dahl)

charlie and the chocolate factory (roald dahl)

matilda (roald dahl)

oliver twist (charles dickens)

the railway children (e nesbit)

the twilight saga- though i don't know the author

chitty chitty bang bang (ian fleming)

the harry potter series (j k rowling)

the lord of the rings series

the golden compass (philip pulman's dark materials)

sybil (again, not sure of the author)

Wow, Lady Emily, that's an amazing list! Do you think maybe you could pick one or two favourites to nominate? It would be very hard to choose from all of those!!
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower (12) book, kindle, ePub

Synopsis: (Amazon)
    Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mixed tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But Charlie can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

Reason for nomination: I have read it but want to re-read it, and it narrowly missed out on being Book Club's Coming-of-Age title!
    Title and certificate The Shining (Stephen King) - Cert 18

Film trailer
    Synopsis Danny is only five years old, but in the words of old Mr Hallorann he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, Danny's visions grow out of control.

As winter closes in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seems to develop a life of its own. It is meant to be empty. So who is the lady in Room 217 and who are the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And why do the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive?

Somewhere, somehow, there is an evil force in the hotel - and that, too, is beginning to shine . . .

Reason for nomination Because the book is one of my favourites ever, and I hated the movie, but I want to try and give it another shot...
    Title and certificate The Green Mile (Stephen King) - Cert 18

Film trailer
    Synopsis At Cold Mountain Penitentiary, along the lonely stretch of cells known as the Green Mile, killers await death, whilst their guards watch over them. Good or evil, innocent or guilty, none of them have ever seen the likes of brutal new prisoner John Coffey, seemingly a devil in human form.

Reason for nomination I've never read the book (shame on me!) but the movie is in my top 5, despite having seen it dozens of times in the space of a week when I was on holiday way back when.
    Title and certificate Coraline (Neil Gaiman) - Cert PG

Film trailer
    Synopsis Shortly after moving into an old house with strange tenants above and below, Coraline discovers a big, carved, brown wooden door at the far corner of the drawing room. And it is locked. Curiosity runs riot in Coraline's mind and she unlocks the door to see what lies behind it. Disappointingly, it opens onto a brick wall. Days later, after exploring the rest of the house and garden, Coraline returns to the same mysterious door and opens it again. This time, however, there is a dark hallway in front of her. Stepping inside, the place beyond has an eerie familiarity about it. The carpet and wallpaper are the same as in her flat. The picture hanging on the wall is the same. Almost. Strangest of all, her mum and dad are there too. Only they have buttons for eyes and seem more possessive than normal. It's a twisted version of her world that is familiar, and yet sinister. And matters get even more surreal for Coraline when her "other" parents seem reluctant to let her leave.

Her attempted escape from this nightmare alternative reality sees Coraline experience a chilling series of ever more bizarre encounters. Some are plainly odd, others disturbingly spooky and together they combine to form an immensely readable story.

Reason for nomination I've had the book on my Kindle for about as long as I've HAD a Kindle and never gotten around to reading it. I saw the movie when it was on TV a few months ago and loved it, so I'd like to get the excuse to read it and see the movie again.
    In Dreams (18)

Claire Cooper dreams strange things from time to time. One night, she dreams about a little girl being taken away by a stranger, right in her neighborhood. When her own daughter Rebecca is kidnapped and murdered only a little later, Claire is sure about the chilling truth that her and the killer's mind are connected to each other in dreams. But nobody believes her being able to foresee the killer's next steps, as she could with her own daughter. In addition, the nervous breakdown she suffers gets her into a mental facility after a suicide attempt. And here, locked away in a padded cell, she dreams of her husband being murdered...

Reason: It's just the kind of film you cant get out of your head. Vivian is so twisted.
    Based on "Doll's Eyes" by Bari Wood

Rabbit-Proof Fence (PG)

In 1931, three aboriginal girls escape after being plucked from their homes to be trained as domestic staff and set off on a trek across the Outback.

Reason: It's such a moving story based on a true one. I love it.
    Based on "Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence" by Doris Pilkington.

Dustbin Baby (PG)

The film follows the story of young teen April whose troubled life began in a dustbin - a new born baby, abandoned and alone, not celebrated, not wanted but discarded and left like so much rubbish in an industrial bin behind a pizza parlor. On the morning of her fourteenth birthday April has a devastating row with her foster mother, Marion and leaves the house determined to find out where she really comes from, who she really is and maybe, just maybe, find her real mother. Telling no-one what she's up to or where she's going, April skips school and begins the search she's dreamed about all her life. It's a blur of social workers, children's homes and special schools as April revisits and recalls the key scenes of her fragmented past. It's a painful journey, sometimes frightening but there's also friendship and love and laughter. And now she's started, there's no going back - April must find her mother.

Reason: I love the ending, after you see everything April has been through, it's just lovely.
    Author Jacqueline Wilson.

Sapsorrow (U)
    Sorry couldn't find a trailer, will this do?

A king with three grown daughters is looking to find a new wife and proclaims to marry whomever fits the original queen's ring. When his daughter Sapsorrow puts on the ring by mistake, she plans to make her escape from the castle with help from her animal friends. Disguised as a dirty, ragged thing, she sets to work in another castle where she falls for a handsome prince. Now if only he can see her beauty beneath her Straggled appearance.

Reason: Takes me right back to my childhood when I first read "Donkey hide." I loved the fairy-tale when I was small, and Jim Henson's Sapsorrow is just fun.
    Based on "Catskin" (also known as "Donkey hide") by The Brothers Grimm.
    Are there books Reena?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    It's Kind Of A Funny Story (12)

I apologize but I am unable to find a kindle addition...

It's Kind Of A Funny Story Trailer
    Synopsis of movie
    Craig is a high-school junior, in the gifted program, infatuated with his best friend's girl. When he realizes he's suicidal, he checks himself into the psychiatric ward of a hospital, thinking they'll do an observation, help him, and send him home in time for school the next day. Once in, however, he must stay for a week; the juvenile ward is being renovated, so he's in with adults as well as a few youths. Bobby, a man with a young daughter, shows him around; Craig notices Noelle, about his age. He tries to keep his friends from finding out where he is. Little things: he draws, goes to therapy, sings, helps Bobby rehearse an interview. Is this the stuff of insight?

Reason for Nomination

I bought the book of Amazon, and found it left me hanging at the edge of my seat leaving me quiet egar to read! It was something I found I actually got in to and really enjoyed both watching and reading the book, apologies for not finding the kindle addition, I don't think there is one, unless someone can hunt one down for me :heart:

Best wishes
    Angel
    There doesn't have to be an ebook for it to be in book club :) (Harper Lee never licensed one for To Kill a Mockingbird, for example), as long as it's easy to get hold of in book form. Really interesting nomination.
    The Beach
    Dead Poets' Society
    "Todd Anderson and his friends at Welton Academy can hardly believe how different life is since their new English professor, the flamboyant John Keating, has challenged them to "make your lives extraordinary! " Inspired by Keating, the boys resurrect the Dead Poets Society--a secret club where, free from the constraints and expectations of school and parents, they let their passions run wild. As Keating turns the boys on to the great words of Byron, Shelley, and Keats, they discover not only the beauty of language, but the importance of making each moment count.

But the Dead Poets pledges soon realize that their newfound freedom can have tragic consequences. Can the club and the individuality it inspires survive the pressure from authorities determined to destroy their dreams?"

I THINK the film came before the book. It's one of my favourite films and I wish other people wouldn't say it's boring :(
    piccolo wrote: »
    Wow, Lady Emily, that's an amazing list! Do you think maybe you could pick one or two favourites to nominate? It would be very hard to choose from all of those!!

how do you guys post the video links on here?

and also- when you do the sinopsis, how much info do you need about it?

i've decided to nominate harry potter and the chamber of secrets, because out of all the harry potter movies, i think when you ask someone to pick some memorable moments from the harry potter series, or to pick 1 of the movies- in my experience, most people go for the chamber of secrets because it's so exciting

so i'll try and write about it.. bear with me here!

harry potter and the chamber of secrets is the second installment in the harry potter series by J, K, rowling. it introduces dobby, previously not in the harry potter movies- he is a house elf

the events that unfold during the movie are:

dobby visits harry in his bedroom, and gives him the letters from friends he has been hiding

ron rescues harry from the window

both miss the hogwarts express- and are forced to take the flying car

lockheart sees harry in the book store and gives him all his books free of charge

normal lessons- such as divination and defence against the dark arts

a duelling club is formed

and eventually someone gets taken in to the chamber

okay i suck at it!. but hey. that's harry potter and the chamber of secrets- i've never done anything like nominations for a film club so it's interesting to say the least

okay the other 1 i'm going to nominate is sybil- i watched this on dvd, and my reason for choosing it is because i think it's a good portrayal of multiple personality disorder- and it is based on a true story.

okay so now to write aSybil is a 1976 American drama film that originally aired as a made-for-television miniseries. It is based on the book of the same name.

Contents
    [hide] 1 Production
    2 Cast
    3 Synopsis
    4 Discussion
    5 Edited and unedited versions
    6 Awards
    7 External links

[edit] Production

Sally Field stars in the title role, with Joanne Woodward playing the part of Sybil's psychiatrist, Cornelia B. Wilbur. Woodward herself had starred in The Three Faces of Eve, in which she portrayed a woman with three personalities, winning the Academy Award for Best Actress for the role. Based on the book Sybil by Flora Rheta Schreiber, the movie dramatizes the life of a shy young graduate student, Sybil Dorsett (in real life, Shirley Ardell Mason), suffering from dissociative identity disorder as a result of the psychological trauma she suffered as a child. With the help of her psychiatrist, Sybil gradually recalls the severe child abuse that led to the development of 13 different personalities. Field's portrayal of Sybil won much critical acclaim, as well as an Emmy Award.

Sybil's personalities
    Female Personalities 1.Vanessa: Holds Sybil's musical abilities, plays the piano and helps Sybil pursue a romantic relationship with Richard. She's a young girl, possibly 12 years old (that's what Richard says and Vanessa does not dispute).
    2.Vicky: 13 year old who speaks French, a very strong, sophisticated and mature personality who knows about and has insight into all the other personalities, though Sybil does not. (states age when she is looking in the mirror at her doctor's home)
    3.Peggy: 9 year old who speaks like a little girl. Holds Sybil's artistic abilities, often appears while crying hysterically due to Sybil's fears. She has many misconceptions; for instance, she does not know that she is in New York City and, instead, thinks she is in the small town that Sybil grew up. Peggy feels the greatest trauma from her mom's abuse, often feeling sad/depressed and unable to find happiness. Her biggest fears include the green kitchen, purple, Christmas, and explosions.
    4.Marsha: dresses in funeral attire and constantly has suicidal thoughts and attempts suicide. Supposedly tried to kill Sybil in the Harlem hotel but was stopped from Vicky. She thinks the end of the world is coming, but what she really fears is the end of Sybil.
    5.Mary: is Sybil's memory of her grandmother; she speaks, walks and acts like a grandmother, and is anxious to meet Sybil's grandmother.
    6.Nancy: who kept waiting for the end of the world and was afraid of Armageddon. She's a product of Sybil's dad's religious fanatacism.
    7.Ruthie: is one of Sybil's less developed selves, a baby in fact. When Sybil hears her mom's voice, she is so terrified that she regresses into Ruthie, an alter that parallels Sybil as a helpless, regressive, pre-verbal baby.
    8.Clara: Around 8–9 years old. No info given.
    9.Ellen: Around 13–14 years old. No info given.
    10.Margie: Around 10–11 years old. No info given.
    11.Sybil Ann: Around 5–6 years old. Very shy.
    Male Personalities 1.Mike: built the shelf in the top of Sybil's closet to hide Vickie's paintings, which she does at night. He and Sid want to know if they can still give a baby to a girl like daddy did even though they are in Sybil's (a female's) body. He's around 9–10 years old.
    2.Sid: wants to be just like his father, loves football. He's around 7–8 years old
    the movie follows sybil's treatment with her therapist- and eventually concludes with the outcome. sybil embraces her personalities, and the doctor finally lets go.

okay.. so i coppied the top bit- is that okay?
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Are there books Reena?

Didn't you read the whole thing? I wrote them down. :D

Here they are again:
    Film- Book
    In Dreams- Doll's Eyes
    Rabbit-Proof Fence- Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence
    Dustbin Baby- Dustbin Baby
    Sapsorrow- Catskin

Does that help? xx
    lady emily wrote: »
    how do you guys post the video links on here?

On the reply box you have 9 icons, the 1 that looks like a film strip next to the speech bubble.
    -Find a video on youtube
    -Right click then copy
    -Click the icon (film strip)
    -Paste in that box and click OK

Hope that helps. xx

Does that help? xx

It helps, but actually they were quite difficult to see. Piccolo and I for book and film club and for this adaptations special have the nominations format for a reason.
    OK, I'm just going to sort out a few missing links for clarity :)

So, Lady Emily's nomination:
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets(PG) by JK Rowling (kindle, no other ebook formats seem to be available)

Lady Emily's synopsis and reasons for nomination are here
    grace wrote: »
    Dead Poets' Society

I THINK the film came before the book. It's one of my favourite films and I wish other people wouldn't say it's boring :(

Book by N.H. Kleinbaum (kindle, no other ebook formats available)

Here they are again:
    Film- Book
    In Dreams- Doll's Eyes
    Rabbit-Proof Fence- Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence
    Dustbin Baby- Dustbin Baby
    Sapsorrow- Catskin

Follow the Rabbit-Proof Fence by Doris Pilkington (no ebook formats)

Doll's Eyes by Bari Wood is out-of-print and I can only find ten reasonably-priced copies on the internet, so I don't think we can include this one in the vote for this month. Sorry.

Dustbin Baby by Jacqueline Wilson (kindle, eBook

Sapsorrow is contained in this DVD, it's a short film that was part of a series called The Story Teller. The story is called Catskin or Thousandfurs (depending on how the German is translated) and is in the anthology Grimm Tales for Young and Old (kindle, eBook)

Hope that's clear :thumb:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Trainspotting (18)
    Memoirs of a Geisha (12a)

Book links:

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh
    (kindle, eBook)

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
    (kindle, eBook)
    Right. That's a grand total of 14 nominations so far! I will be putting the poll up some time this evening at which point we can't take any more.

Last chance!