Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your Online Doctor - "Safe. Convenient, Discreet"...

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
Effective? :chin:

https://www.dred.com/uk/

These guys have been in touch with us about the University Sexual Health 'report card'

What do you think?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Just seems to be away of fucking people over for money for medicines they can get free/on scrip

For instance

Valaciclovir for herpes/genital herpes 10 tablets £39.99p or free from a GUM clinic

Lisonopril for high blood pressure 3 months for £19.99p or £8ish from your GP

Even looking online, i can find prices at least 50% cheaper than what they're asking for.
    It's just a shitty way of separating the perpetually embarrassed or retarded from their money.

It's basically daylight robbery when an NHS prescription in England is £7.65 and is free in Scotland and Wales.
    Why is this more safe convienient or discreet than seeing a GP or going to GUM?
    It's just a shitty way of separating the perpetually embarrassed or retarded from their money.

It's basically daylight robbery when an NHS prescription in England is £7.65 and is free in Scotland and Wales.

:yes:

Also, what about the time doctors spend reading body language, offering comfort, etc.? The role of a GP is more than dispensing medicines.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Thanks for all your input so far guys.

You might also be interested in a study these guys have been doing around uni and sexual health services:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2013/feb/14/nottingham-student-sex-services
    I was very interested.

I happen to work in student welfare for one of those universities. I don't recognise what they've said so fuck knows who they actually talked to. Probably the same tool who thinks £24.99 for an anti-biotic is good value for money.
    Just blergh.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    I was very interested.

I happen to work in student welfare for one of those universities. I don't recognise what they've said so fuck knows who they actually talked to. Probably the same tool who thinks £24.99 for an anti-biotic is good value for money.

Interesting indeed.
    I can't see how or why getting contraception, getting tested, geting advice is the job of a university. It's seems a pretty pointless exercise and article and probably, in my opinion, something to bump up awareness of Dr Ed's Pharmacy of Ludicrous Prices.

Love the pathetic 'postcode lottery' comment. Most, if not all, areas/health trusts have a GUM clinic(s) There's 3 in the Birmingham area alone. It's your body and it's up to you to protect it as best you can so get of your friggin' ass and do it or do you need to be spoon fed for the rest of your life ?

I DO think uni's should be promoting services available in the area, safe(r) sex, risk factors such as drink/drugs, where to get tested and how to get free contraception. What i would do, is get Terrance Higgins Trust involved (they do a fair bit here at GUM clinics and the gay pubs and clubs, don't know if they do staright venues too). They have all the info, good campaigns and i'm sure they'd be happy to oblige in an 'Awareness Campaign' for a decent donation for the time and materials.
    TBH, if you local NHS hasn't already got this covered (as Rubber says) then they have failed massively.

These guys are no better than any company that advertises saying they help you avoid NHS "waiting lists" - whilst creaming off work from the NHS directly themselves - and those companies selling "digital hearing aids" which are also available from the NHS often provided by those same companies.

For me this is feeding on the public paranoia about the NHS which is actually providing pretty damned good services, which you taxes already pay for and which offers much better value for money than any private company can actually offer themselves.