Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Small sizes in women clothes

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

Just wondered if anybody knew where i can get size 4 women clothes from. I know that you can get them from Topshop, Miss Selfridge and Asda and maybe some Tesco stores but is there anywhere else?

Thanks for any replies x

Comments

• Options
    Asda sells them.
  • Options
    As a general rule I find the cheaper the clothes, the bigger the sizes so 4s in places like asda might actually fit more like 8s elsewhere.
  • Options
    I actually tried a pair of size 4 jeans up again me as I didn't think they looked that small and they looked like they'd fit me and I'm an 8-10.
  • Options
    Don't just look for the actual size, either. For example, in my experience, size 6s from H&M and Zara are much smaller than the size 4s you can buy elsewhere. Miss Selfridge and Asda in particular have humorously large sizes.

In general, European brands tend to be smaller that UK or US brands because they don't go in for vanity sizing as much.
  • Options
    Kids clothes in H&M are often quite nice too, as long as you're not too tall...
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Kids clothes in H&M are often quite nice too, as long as you're not too tall...

Ooh, they are! The jeans are excellent. Zara kids, too :heart:
  • Options
    Am i the the fattest person on here? :(
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Don't just look for the actual size, either. For example, in my experience, size 6s from H&M and Zara are much smaller than the size 4s you can buy elsewhere. Miss Selfridge and Asda in particular have humorously large sizes.

In general, European brands tend to be smaller that UK or US brands because they don't go in for vanity sizing as much.

I have made a decision not to give a seconds thought to what size I am buying... I am a 12 trousers although very very slim, just wide waisted - I went to Jane Norman and tried on some jeans, the 12 regulars were ok in length but a bit too tight up top so tried a 14 regular, they were sooo long so got a 14 short and low n behold they fitted quite well.

Nobody could believe it when I told them they were a size 14 as everyone is convinced I am a size <10... It made me really think about people who were larger than me and how it must make them feel trying on bigger sizes...

Moral of the story - don't worry about what size it says on the label, just goes with what is comfortable for you!
  • Options
    Olive wrote: »
    Ooh, they are! The jeans are excellent. Zara kids, too :heart:

Always remember not to wear your kids clothes finds to pubs with balls pits, unless you wanna match the sliding monkeys. I have had this happen before, mathcing tee shirts with someone else's kid, alright when it's your own coz that's cute but, someone else's is embarrassing.
  • Options
    kate- wrote: »

:no: Not by a long shot, believe me!!
  • Options
    Splodgey wrote: »
    I have made a decision not to give a seconds thought to what size I am buying... I am a 12 trousers although very very slim, just wide waisted - I went to Jane Norman and tried on some jeans, the 12 regulars were ok in length but a bit too tight up top so tried a 14 regular, they were sooo long so got a 14 short and low n behold they fitted quite well.

Nobody could believe it when I told them they were a size 14 as everyone is convinced I am a size <10... It made me really think about people who were larger than me and how it must make them feel trying on bigger sizes...

Moral of the story - don't worry about what size it says on the label, just goes with what is comfortable for you!

Jane Norman I like, the clothes fit me in a regular woman's size. As the sizes are just numbers here it is more down to individual perception of the sizes. I mean like say a top says "size 18" it's better than saying "large" as who are they to tell us what constitutes a "large" size. That said Jane Norman does get a lot of criticism about 'sizism' yet none of the other stores really get criticised for excluding smaller sized women. I think it's okay to have shops like JN where the clothes are smaller in the same way that it's good to have shops like Evans as well.

OP - I like New Look girls range (915) and also Tammy Girl at BHS. It's much easier to get small casual clothes as teenage girls still wear things like jeans. It gets a bit trickier for formal wear as some of the things I might want are things that younger girls just don't wear.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Always remember not to wear your kids clothes finds to pubs with balls pits, unless you wanna match the sliding monkeys. I have had this happen before, mathcing tee shirts with someone else's kid, alright when it's your own coz that's cute but, someone else's is embarrassing.

:lol:

I've seen kids wearing the same things as me in shopping centres and supermarkets and stuff, but thankfully never anything more obvious!
  • Options

No, I prob am!
  • Options
    lacrymosa wrote: »
    It still makes me feel good fitting into a size 6 dress though even though I know the sizing is a bit big, lol.

Exactly why they do it, tbh.

Not great when you actually ARE a size 6 though, cause even the 4s in Miss S fit like 8s. :grump:
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    All this thread shows is that you're not the smallest.
  • Options
    I remember years ago trying on a pair of trousers in a size 8 and they fell off because they were quite big.
  • Options
    Haha well I'm usually a 10 or a 12 but I fit Miss selfridge size 8 dresses :D Works for me
  • Options
    If you live near NYC, there is a store called MINKvixen in the East Village in Manhattan that carries tons of very small sizes for women.
  • Options
    kcornach wrote: »
    If you live near NYC, there is a store called MINKvixen in the East Village in Manhattan that carries tons of very small sizes for women.

This threads from 2008, try to stick to recent threads :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.