Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Children Using Facebook.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey :)

So I am just wondering what your views are of Children being allowed a Facebook account. The only reason I am asking is cos I have noticed that a few of my little sisters friends from school are on Facebook, they are 10 years old some maybe younger.

Just some questions, to allow me to find out your thoughts on this subject.

Do you think Children understand enough about staying safe online, at that age?

Do you think parents/carers always monitor what the Child is doing on their Facebook account?

When a Child signs up, who is young is there an option on Facebook, that stops them joining if they are under a certain age, or can they make an age up? Like restrictions...

What age do you think is a suitable age to sign up for Facebook?

Really looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My cousins has facebook since he was 11 and all he's used it for was to get in contact with his parents as his parents have split he spends alternative days with each other, and to go on games and he's 14 in may and thats all he does with it still..

I think it all relies on the parents/carers, If they teach them from a young age about the dangers of the internet, Or stay in the room whilst they are on it...then its up to the child, If the child see's there mum talking to hundreds of people she doesn't know and sharing photographs then its what they're used to..

Just throwing that out there.
    Yeah I see your point. I mean don't get me wrong, if parents/carers want to allow their Child to have a Facebook account then that's up to them.

I agree with what you have said about parents/carers teaching Children about how to use the internet safely, very true Children will ultimately copy what they see.

I think if parents/carers will monitor what the Child is doing on Facebook it isn't going to cause any problems but what if they don't?

Like you say your cousin uses it just for games and to chat to his parents, that sounds sensible.
    I don't think facebook is inherently harmful or anything, though some of the people on it can be, much as they can be in real life. The trouble is that facebook do put a disclaimer on about age, what can they do about that if young people lie about it? Parents should try to educate their children about being sensible etc but if parents are ok with their children using something like facebook at such a young age, is that not where a problem lies?

I remember on here recently about a a news story that someone linked about her young daughter having issues with facebook, and she had 4,000 friends (most of which she didnt know) and her mother was complaining about how it was facebooks fault that her daughter didnt have any common sense?
    Yeah I agree, if a Child lies about their age there isn't anything that Facebook can do.

What are your views with parents allowing their Children to use Facebook at such a young age?

That news story sounds quite interesting, I can understanding that if parents don't want to actually notice and monitor what their Children are doing on Facebook then they shouldn't actually complain when things go wrong cos if they don't want to take the time to actually make sure that the Child is safe online surely it's their fault.. Do you agree?
    no, no, yes (yes), by the time you're old enough to use it you're too old to use it.
    I am unsure what you mean by that statement, by the time your old enough to use it your too old to use it? I dont get it.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2
    I don't think it's appropriate for children to use facebook. I was "groomed" I think that's the word? When I was 10 or 11 on a social media site.
    I was subsequently abused for quite a few years.
    I agree B-A I wouldn't like the thought of my little sister using Facebook at her age.
    Sorry to hear about what happened with you.

Also to add to this I was talking to a girl I work with about something she reported on fb, and fb didnt do anything, even though it was quite distressing the thing she reported. Maybe Facebook are a bit to laid back with their rules.

if it was me i would prefer my kids not to use it til they're at least im their teens and even then i would monitor what they do on it til they're at least 14 or 15.

i think teaching kids about internet safety is the main thing though, its like sex, you can't ban kids from doing it but you can teach then how to be safe, mature and responsible
    Very good point lexi. Yep I agree when they are in their teens I think thats okay if they are kept an eye on.

Like I mentioned the children my little sisters age. On Facebook I think they are too young.

I thought facebook had a 13+ policy?
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    At the age of 10, I don't think they should be on Facebook, but then the social media age range doesn't really stop someone from making an account, and signing up with a fake age, some might use Facebook to contact families, but then the internet has a massive effect on influencing people. For example the recent #CutForBieber tweets on twitter, which is insanity.

If the child is 10 years old and on Facebook, I doubt the parents are really monitoring what the child is doing, but then it's the kids these days, technology everywhere...I think the first time we got a computer in our house, was, when I was 11, and we didn't get any internet ;)

If someone reported them being to young, then likely they would get there account taken of them...I would assume, but then, theres nothing stopping them making another one...The suitable age for Facebook I would assume 13/14 because by then, they have a vague idea about internet safety, but still think parents should monitor what they do! :)
    I'm not to sure about that Facebook policy.

Yeah I agree with what you have said Angel. I know Emily wouldn't know much about how to stay safe online, hence why she doesn't have an account on Facebook or any other social media sites, if she wants to speak to her friends she does it in school, or after school. Some people may say, why is my mum not letting her have an account? The reason is cos she knows what Facebook is like, and how people online are not always who they say they are.

Yes I think that that is a suitable age, and agree it should still be monitored. Everything is technology based currently. I remember growing up I didn't have a phone or a computer for ages. It never did me any harm, but then I know times are different now.
    It's all about sensible use and adequate parenting.

Facebook isn't there to nanny kids instead of their parents. If a child has a profile, then I'd expect a responsible parent to know what was on it, and monitor the usage. That monitoring doesn't need to be checking up on them behind their back, just only having the computer in a public place in the house and keeping an eye on what's going on.
    Yes I agree Scary Monster.

You have made a good point about having the computer in a public place in the house. Times have changed now, and Children are being allowed laptops and I pads etc.

They may not necessary use them while their parents are in the room.

Just going back to Miss Riots comment I have just done a search and it is that you have to be 13+ to make an account on Facebook. However even if a child has a fake age, if somebody is concerned about them being on Facebook surely Facebook could do something about it, cos it's a underage Child using a service that is for 13+ Facebook say that they can't do anything unless it's required by law.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »
    I thought facebook had a 13+ policy?

It does. It also has a humans only policy. That said, Randomcat is 4 this week and has his own account. I do supervise him very closely when he uses it though.
    Aaaww Randomcat :)
    I would say 14s a reasonable age to be allowed facebook. I mean its up to the parents in the end but the dangers of children being groomed and also online bullying and harassment and the trouble it could get the child in if they're the perpetrator or the victim. I guess its up to the parents to decide if their child is mature enough.
    Although the sign up age is generally 13 i know in spain its actually 14 because of their data protection laws. Like if you see someone under 14 using facebook there you're meant to report it and facebook has to delete it.
    I agree Alfie :)

Online bullying and Children being groomed is so much easier nowadays with how everything is so technology based. It's scary to think about it like that. Yes I can understand your comment about parents knowing when their Child is grown up enough to be able to handle Facebook, although on the other hand, even if a Child is mature to handle Facebook, who knows how they would handle being in a situation where they are being bullied or having somebody groom them online.

It's all well and good Facebook deleting Children's profiles if they are under 13, however with a fake age there isn't much Facebook can actually do. And as somebody has said all it takes is for the Child to make another account, unless Facebook were to ban their IP adress, so they couldn't make another account, however I highly doubt Facebook would do that.

It's really great to hear your thoughts on this subject guys :)
    I agree Alfie :)
    even if a Child is mature to handle Facebook, who knows how they would handle being in a situation where they are being bullied or having somebody groom them online.

I was very mature. I knew all the safety rules, what not to do online etc. etc. but when you've got a man telling you unless you meet up with him he'll hurt you, it's not about maturity.
    Even when I met him, I was sensible, I took a friend, I met in a public place, it doesn't stop it happening.
    Very important point you have just raised there B-A.

I am so sorry to hear how you was in that situation, it must have been very scary for you. *hug*

Like I said before, a Child who is mature could still not know what to do in that situation, like you say it's not about maturity.
    Do you think Children understand enough about staying safe online, at that age?
    They'll learn how to be safe pretty quick, aslong as they don't meet up with people.
    Do you think parents/carers always monitor what the Child is doing on their Facebook account?
    And you think monitoring things is good?
    When a Child signs up, who is young is there an option on Facebook, that stops them joining if they are under a certain age, or can they make an age up? Like restrictions...
    Yes they can make an age up, and unless you decide to make facebook 18+ with the requirement of a credit card to register, you'll always be able to get onto it irrelevant of your age.
    What age do you think is a suitable age to sign up for Facebook?
    11+ The age you start secondary school.

I started using the internet when i was 7 years old, maybe younger. This was 11 years ago, back when chatrooms, and AOL where all the rage with dial up. Where talking to strangers was normal, and considered fine. There was no safety nets, to rules, no warnings, as far as I know, all this was new. Although most people I knew were on the internet at that age, borrowing their parents computers.
    What I don't understand is that, no one ever explained rules to me for a computer, no one ever said don't do this, or that, or that's dangerous. Because you have a certain level of common sense, I knew even at 7 that if i didn't like something I saw on the computer, I could switch it off and walk away. You just knew not to meet dodgy people online. Or give them information about yourself, because you just weren't idiotic.

Why does everyone forget, you can just turn the fucker off?

Obviously before facebook was invented, there was myspace/bebo (the equivelent to todays facebook) which I had at a really young age, no one saw a problem with it then. It was just the normal thing.

"What are your views with parents allowing their Children to use Facebook at such a young age?"
    Every kid today born in a location, where they can use a computer, or have access to one, will make a facebook irrelevant to their parents wishes."

Why are people so fearful of the internet?

"I agree Alfie
    even if a Child is mature to handle Facebook, who knows how they would handle being in a situation where they are being bullied or having somebody groom them online."

You don't need to be mature to have access to a website. 99% of the people on facebook are immature. Who knows how'd they would handle something?
    -Press Start
    -Shutdown
    Wait 30 seconds problem solved.
    If you're being bullied, delete it, ignore it, tell a parent, it's not rocket science...
    I'm someone's being an ass and threatening you, call the police 999 not rocket science is it?
    Some creepy man wants naked pictures? Tell your parents, and call 999 again, this isn't rocket science still.

People forget that everything can happen in the real world, as it can online. There's almost no difference between the two, apart from ironically you're safer online.
    I was very mature. I knew all the safety rules, what not to do online etc. etc. but when you've got a man telling you unless you meet up with him he'll hurt you, it's not about maturity.
    Even when I met him, I was sensible, I took a friend, I met in a public place, it doesn't stop it happening.

At not at one point you thought this was a bad idea?
    Although you met me off the internet, which kind of voids most of what i said. :')

(I'm exasperated, not having ago at anyone before anyone thinks i am, i just have a angry tone in my writing)
    Shikari wrote: »
    At not at one point you thought this was a bad idea?
    Although you met me off the internet, which kind of voids most of what i said. :')

I thought it was a fucking terrible idea, but I was scared. And going to the police doesn't do anything, trust me. Tried that one as well.

Also... I thought it was a fucking terrible idea when I was on my way to meet you! But by that time I was on the train out of London with no return ticket ;)
    I am confused by what you both are talking about.
    Shikari.. I respect your reply, however please could you chill with the swearing. :)

I just wanted to get peoples opinions, I know you are allowed your opinion I am not saying you can't, but just don't appreciate the swearing on my thread. That's all..
    I am confused by what you both are talking about.

I ran away, and ended up staying with Shikari.
    Oh right.

Just got a tad confused then.
    Shikari.. I respect your reply, however please could you chill with the swearing. :)

I just wanted to get peoples opinions, I know you are allowed your opinion I am not saying you can't, but just don't appreciate the swearing on my thread. That's all..

Yes sorry i edited them out! My tone always comes across badly online, i'm just a rowdy person. :)
    I thought it was a fucking terrible idea, but I was scared. And going to the police doesn't do anything, trust me. Tried that one as well.

Also... I thought it was a fucking terrible idea when I was on my way to meet you! But by that time I was on the train out of London with no return ticket ;)

Really? I've had some problems online and various place, i called 101. Because it wasn't an immediate emergency. But within an hour a police officer was at my front door, came in for a chat was really polite, took all the details, had a look online (facebook) about what had been said. Made some enquiries, spoke to the individual involved and that was the last i heard of any problem. Also gave me his phone number, in case of any immediate danger. I was really impressed by the way the police responded as i thought they'd do nothing.
    It's okay. Thank you :)
    Shikari, I think you seem to live in a very sheltered world and haven't lived with grooming, manipulation, abuse at home and else where and bullying from everywhere you turn. Everything seems to be so black and white in your world! There is a real need to teach kids about the possible dangers out there, so that they can make informed decisions of their own. Its not just a case of "oh well, they'll learn quick enough", they could be hurt quick enough too.

What about teaching kids about privacy settings, what you do and don't share online, not just meeting up with people? Kids aren't going to learn that unless they make some pretty big mistakes, which could be pretty damaging.

Monitor? Depends what you mean by monitor. Watching their every move over their shoulder? No thats a bad idea. Pop your head around the door every now and again and ask how its going - why not? Yes, that depends on having a culture of openess and honesty in your household and your kids feeling that they can trust you, but surely thats what you'd want? Of course kids lie to their parents from time to time (heck I lied so I could go to another country to meet someone off here when I was 15), but if they feel able to come to you in times of need they will. The only bit I do agree with is the age that should be allowed on social networking websites.