Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gothic makeup in stages shows

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys,
Can any one think of any stage shows where they have gothic fantasy makeup? Pale face, eye makeup, red lips etc.

I need to base the fantasy element of my makeup exam in drama around a stage show, and I really want to do a gothic desgin but I can't find any shows that use it :(

Help!?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can think of maybe rocky horror, and a film called Repo! The Genetic Opera. Not stage I know, but maybe you can use it.
    They have to be on stage, thanks though :) I thought about Rocky Horror, but I want to do more elegant make up kinda like this but with a white face
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    I can think of maybe rocky horror, and a film called Repo! The Genetic Opera. Not stage I know, but maybe you can use it.

Repo! The Genetic Opera, is one sexy film. And paris hilton actually looks hot.
    Zydrate comes in a little glass vial, a little glass vial? :')

Not sure if you missed the obvious one, but Dracula? That's bound to have gothic eye makeup.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    What about one of the cirque du soleil shows?
    What about one of the cirque du soleil shows?

It's got to be acting... it's so specific :( I was going to do something from a Ballet because they generally have more make up, but I can't.
    What about The Tempest? Or Macbeth (especially the witches).

To be honest, you can design any show to have Gothic costume elements. It's a creative choice, you don't have to be constrained by whoever designed it last.
    Does it have to be stage or could it be film? Theres a beautiful redish black gothic smoky eye that rooney mara wears in the english version of girl with the dragon tattoo. Or if you can handle it, she has some amazing make up in the revenge scene, which I've been trying to perfect for a while.
    It has to be stage :(
    I'm thinking I might do the fairy Cobweb from A midsummer night's dream. I've never seen the play, but from a google search the fairy often has a white face with cobwebs drawn on. My design doesn't have to be exactly the same, it just has to fit with the play and the character.
  • Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
    phantom of the opera is quite dark..
    It won't take long to read A Midsummer Nights Dream, and it's worth doing to give a basis for your design.

The thing about the fairies is that they are morally ambiguous, neither good not evil, and the nice thing about the make up style you're describing is that it could be alluring and sinister at the same time, which is perfect for Dream. They are also often played as androgynous.

Don't get too caught up in the literal names, think of them more like flower fairies, just hinting at the name by how they look.
    piccolo wrote: »
    It won't take long to read A Midsummer Nights Dream, and it's worth doing to give a basis for your design.

The thing about the fairies is that they are morally ambiguous, neither good not evil, and the nice thing about the make up style you're describing is that it could be alluring and sinister at the same time, which is perfect for Dream. They are also often played as androgynous.

Don't get too caught up in the literal names, think of them more like flower fairies, just hinting at the name by how they look.

Thanks Piccolo that's really helpful :) I might see if I can find a second hand copy of it on ebay or in a charity shop.
    Thanks Piccolo that's really helpful :) I might see if I can find a second hand copy of it on ebay or in a charity shop.

Or library :)
    Or library :)

What's a... a... Library? ;)

I don't think I've been in one of those since I was a toddler! I think my mums got a library card I'll ask her :)
    Or on the internet for free

Your school / college library would surely have it, too? If you can get hold of a good guide (I like the Arden series), it will help you to get past some of the more confusing elements of the language and stuff.