Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

The dark side of sport - Nicole Cooke

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just read Nicole Cooke's retirement statement.

It's not a quick read - but makes for very thought provoking reading.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jan/14/nicole-cooke-retirement-statement

Comments

• Options
    Christ.
  • Options
    I'm very into cycling and have read Tyler Hamilton's book, as well as David Millar's (both very good books).

Both have the same view, at the time of Armstrong, late 1990's/early 2000's all the top riders were doping, and winning clean was not possible. Even keeping up with the peleton was not possible, and yes, it ruined many riders careers. I can understand why they did it though, it was the one way to keep your place on a team, and to keep racing. The tests back then were so easy to fool too, Hamilton describes the ways the US Postal, and all the other teams, cheated, and they're so simple.

Nowadays is a totally different matter though. Testing has become, and I'm sure with the Armstrong case will become even more so, more frequent and a lot harder to trick. I know there are still cases, Frank Schleck at last years Tour for example, but they're a lot less often. Also, although its still hard to say exactly, I'd guess 90% of the peleton are now riding clean, especially with teams like Team Sky, who refuse to employ anyone, riders, coaches or backroom staff, who have any history in doping.