Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moving Overseas to Work

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Cool man. I'll be sure to hit you up if I end up heading Vietnam's way!
    So this is a while later and I still wanna do this. If I enjoy it, I'm going to do a PGCE or something similar in the UK.

I'm currently in a very secure (but stressful and uninspiring) job... I reckon I can save £4-5k by next September (2013 I mean) and I'll be taking a CELTA next summer...

Is it worth me leaving my job for?

I'm considering Spain, as people on a TEFL messageboard said that the poor economy is pushing people to learn English and I can get home OK if disaster strikes... I'd also consider Czech Republic, Germany, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam or maybe Cambodia...

So I'll be a 29 year old graduate, with a CELTA and no direct English teaching experience, but with some experience delivering work shops. I'm well spoken, creative and think I'll be OK in interviews.

Do I have my head in the clouds thinking I can get a job?
    Namaste wrote: »
    So this is a while later and I still wanna do this. If I enjoy it, I'm going to do a PGCE or something similar in the UK.

I'm currently in a very secure (but stressful and uninspiring) job... I reckon I can save £4-5k by next September (2013 I mean) and I'll be taking a CELTA next summer...

Is it worth me leaving my job for?

I'm considering Spain, as people on a TEFL messageboard said that the poor economy is pushing people to learn English and I can get home OK if disaster strikes... I'd also consider Czech Republic, Germany, Mexico, Thailand, Vietnam or maybe Cambodia...

So I'll be a 29 year old graduate, with a CELTA and no direct English teaching experience, but with some experience delivering work shops. I'm well spoken, creative and think I'll be OK in interviews.

Do I have my head in the clouds thinking I can get a job?

Not at all! I know far less qualfied/prepared people who have gone off and taught English abroad. I worked and lived in France for almost 2 years (although not teaching) I now work in the English Language Training industry for a very large company (If you'd like some more info, feel free to PM me)

British council can be a secure route for teaching english, you're placed in a school/ year contract, check out their website :)
    The world is your oyster seriously, you could anywhere!
    You work for British Council?

I have looked in to them, but they want 2 years experience and a 1st degree (I have a 2:1)... Good to see the industry ain't a dead duck.

How do you think Spain will be next year? A lot of people are taking to learning English at the moment, but not sure how long for.
    P.S. Can't PM you as your inbox is full!
    The only problem with moving to another country to teach English is that you'd also have to be able to speak the local lingo as well.
    Imagine if your GCSE French teacher couldn't speak English and you get where I'm coming from.
    Namaste wrote: »
    You work for British Council?

I have looked in to them, but they want 2 years experience and a 1st degree (I have a 2:1)... Good to see the industry ain't a dead duck.

How do you think Spain will be next year? A lot of people are taking to learning English at the moment, but not sure how long for.

Oops I sent you a PM :) The only problem with Spain I would say is the economy. One of my friends teaches English in Valencia and loves it I doubt she'll come back anytime soon.

I do see whowhere's point. Would definitely be at least getting to Int. level Spanish but further afield e.g Korea, Thailand etc its much more common for just english teachers to teach.
    I only have very basic Spanish, but hope to start a course soon... Also, a few friends speak it!
    Your thinking is nice.There might be some better to move to any country for your better carrier.Know US immigration laws are very applicable and helpful for the general people like you.I appreciate your decision.

investment visa australia