Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Knitting - like riding a bike

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
:yippe:

So - after meaning to give it a go again for a rather long time, I picked up a book, a ball of yarn and some needles in John Lewis while I was away over the weekend and got stuck in on the ferry home last night.

It's definitely not pretty, but with the assisstance of the book managed to cast on, knit ordinary rows, alternate knitting rows and purling rows and bind off.

That's not bad going right?

Have some awesome chunky pink wool that I was using to do it with, and massive needles so made encouraging progress. Not quite sure what I'll do with the bits I created - one has potential as a wrist warmer I think, so might pull the other one out and see if can make a pair.

I'd thought it would be like learning from scratch all over again, as think I was about 8 last time I knitted - but has come flooding back.

Now I need some nice small sized projects so I can have a play within my limited attention span.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can recommend hats. In chunky yarn they don't take much time and they teach you loads of basic techniques.

I think Hannah was my first hat, it's pretty quick to do and straightforward enough.

knittinghelp.com is your friend, and you should join TheSite's (strictly unofficial, unmoderated) Ravelry group.
    Will do!

I think hats could well be the way to go.

Can I take knitting needles on aeroplanes? If I can, the next challenge is to work out somewhere I can get more yarn from - by magic, before my holiday.
    Depends on the airline. I have never had any problems, but have also always taken wood. I do tend to disclose to security that I have them, just in case.

Do you need online store recommendations?
    Do you know of online stores that might deliver to highlands & islands within a week?

If you do - then yes please!

(And suggestions on what might be good to buy for hat projects like you suggested). I know I'm being lazy, but if I can get it ordered tonight then might be able to get something to take on holiday.