Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

anyone here tried using the samaratans?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i posted the thread here... because on my low days, i email them all the time- and they are so helpful.

being able to talk to someone openly and not be judged is a nice feeling- i like it because you can talk as much or as little as you need, and even if you're not in instant danger (you just need someone to talk to for instance) they will be their.

i don't use the phone service- not good with telephones (in fact i can't even hold 1 in my hand) even if it's not ringing

so who else uses the service?

Comments

• Options
    I personally fell out with samaritans after they ignored me and when I felt really suicidal infact I was half way through an attempt I texted them and said how I felt/my plans ect...and they didnt reply for another 5 weeks, what they replied with was "are you still with us EmilY" which i thought personally was a bit daft, although they do help a lot of other people..
  • Options
    AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    I've contacted Samaritans in the past, it was a long time ago through, around 2010, stopped contacting them after that, as I felt as though I wasn't getting the support I needed from them, but I found them as having that someone to chat to, or just rant to, even if they didn't really pay attention to what I said, haha, but it was just good to know someone was reading over it, even if they didn't know what to say, it's people who are dedicating their time to respond, after all :)

I'm glad you feel as though you can turn to Samaritans when you need someone to talk to Lady Emily, that's positive to hear :) - Were here for you to *hug*'s!
  • Options
    it depends ENTIRELY on who picks up the phone.
  • Options
    remember they ae not counsellors, they are listeners and are entirely volunteers

Some are great, some not as great, but there is always someone there if you phone. The problem with text messages and emails, is they can take longer because a lot of them are busy with the phone, or are old so they are not really computer friendly.
  • Options
    sorry this happened to you emily,

i've heard stories of people who had a same sort of experience.. they didon't get on with them at all.

how are you feeling now, hun

suzy you should use the email service like me- it's a longer reply time, but it sure makes things easier... for me anyway, who gets anxious near phones
  • Options
    i dont use them at all. I did used to volunteer for them though
  • Options
    i dont use them at all. I did used to volunteer for them though

so did my mum. it used to make me really sad that she must have listened for hundreds of hours to strangers' problems but she never listened to mine.

i did have a go at calling them once though but i felt a bit daft and it was just adding to the stress of the situation so i hung up on the man at the other end, which made me feel pretty bad.
  • Options
    I've used them those times I need to hear a human voice to pull myself back from the pit. They probably think I'm wasting their time.
  • Options
    i guarantee they dont.
    They have old dears phoning up because theyve got noone else to talk to. Just for a chat. They understand. They try and eventually wean them off the service because its not the general purpose to talk about their shopping or the weather.
    Also have men phone up with convuluted intricate stories of sexual abuse, then you realise theyve been wanking down the phone.
    Now THATS wasting time, but someone who needs to hear a voice to pull themselves out of a pit is definitely one of the reasons they are there
  • Options
    grace.... i think that would annoy me too, i'm just thankful my mum does not work for the samaritans- she's useless at listening to people's problems

Carriage Return, you know.. i think like that a lot- i email them with my ramblings and how life is so bad... and how my past was so diffrent- and how everything is just broken.. and then think to myself, well, out of all the people they could be supporting... they are listening to someone who they don't even know, rant on about how she's done and how she's hopeless
  • Options
    Oh, I didn't quite explain myself, the reason I think they probably think I'm wasting their time is I just pretty much say hello, tell them I'm glad they are there, and then say goodbye.
  • Options
    still not a waste of time
  • Options
    *hug*
    I have used the Samaritans, I text them cos I have a phobia of talking on the phone. They have always helped me when I have felt really low, and times where I would isolate myself. They have usually texted back within about a hour, it depends on how busy they are.

I would recommend them because they are very helpful and supportive. They have time and are willing to chat to you, and they don't judge and it's 100% confidential. I don't know what I would be like if I didn't contact the Samaritans cos I isolate myself a lot and feel very alone, and low. When I want to s/h or OD.

The text number is 07725909090

Hope this has helped :heart:
  • Options
    I rang the samaritans after Women's Aid was busy and wanted to ring me back...errr no thank you! All I did was cry down the phone. The woman on the end of line was great, did exactly what I wanted, listened.
  • Options
    Accipiter wrote: »
    Just tried to ring them because I'm having a crappy day and the emails take too long to get a reply. They answered, and my anxiety levels rocketed, so then kicked in my mutism and I sat there like a silent idiot for fifteen minutes with the man on the other end of the phone saying, "Can I help you? How are you?" etc. I just wasted his time.

I can't do anything :banghead:

You didn't waste his time. A lot of people (I'm sure SCC can back me up on this) don't say anything. Unlike most services, the Samaritans don't hang up even if there's a chance it's just a prank, because the caller might find their voice eventually.

I bet if you told this story to the guy you spoke to, he'd say something like "I'm there to take calls, and if the person called back and spoke I'd consider that a success". What do you think?