Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Breaking tenancy agreement and how long to be evicted

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So I live in a HMO where the tenancy agreement stipulates agreeing to their online t&c, which state that it's single occupancy only. I have been in breach of this for a while, whilst looking for suitable alternative accommodation. Everyone else in the HMO is fine with it (they do the same :p) except for one chap who has now told the landlord.

Not been confronted by the landlord about it yet, but what should I expect? Eviction notice? Losing my deposit? Etc.?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Really the landlord should just simply insist that the other person has to leave, as he could be in breach of the HMO conditions for the property (which usually stipulates a maximum occupancy). He can charge you the resultant costs involved but they should be low if the other person buggers off quickly.

In the longer term you might want to look at leaving that place and getting a new one just the two of you :)
    Really the landlord should just simply insist that the other person has to leave, as he could be in breach of the HMO conditions for the property (which usually stipulates a maximum occupancy). He can charge you the resultant costs involved but they should be low if the other person buggers off quickly.

In the longer term you might want to look at leaving that place and getting a new one just the two of you :)

We have already been looking :-) didn't want to tell the landlord because it puts him in a difficult position whilst we're still looking. The problem with the landlord insisting the other person leave is there's not really anywhere else to go... Heh
    I do want to follow this up though; will the landlord have the right to say 'out right now' and enforce or I as a tenant with your standard AST I have use of the room and breaking his t&c gives him grounds to end tenancy / notice to leave... By which point I'd be long gone anyway...
    Badump
    Hey ShyBoy,

Your landlord would still need to obtain a court order to regain possession and then execute it; like you point out.
    So even if you have breached the tenancy he can't demand that you leave right away.
    Although, like Arctic Roll says, the landlord may seek the costs of eviction against you.
    However, as I see in your other posts, you are looking to leave soon - so hopefully you'll be gone before he takes any enforcement action.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Maybe you can try calling Shelter - 0808 800 4444 (http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/how_we_can_help/housing_advice_helpline)

:)